• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

304 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe this cover was originally intended to run in the Famous Funnies series with the other Frazetta issues. 

Need to get a copy!

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

If anybody has a sane reason why Buster Crabbe #5 isn't in the same range as the FF 209-216 and WSF 29, I would love to hear it.

The proportions of the characters are a little wonky.  "Buster" (aka Flash Gordon) has slightly too large a head for instance.

On 6/23/2017 at 6:18 PM, Yorick said:

Under the radar....  If only they had put some of that interior work on the cover.

Frazetta Personal Love (2).JPG

15 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Seems like Frazetta Famous Funnies covers have blown up lately. Any other Frazettas worth shooting for?

14 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Not covers, but Frazetta's interior stories in those few issues of Personal Love are amazing (including the Bettie Page one).

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I second this.  Heritage was auctioning off FF's own copies of PL a few weeks ago.  He signed a couple (although they weren't official CGC sig series.) I bid on them but didn't win any.  

Please excuse my re-posting of these...

I "third" this!

All are FF copies except the PL28 "file copy".  I am over the moon with these.  PL28 or 32 is my favorite Frazetta.  Hard to decide...  I have the really nice Frazetta oversize hardcover that reprints all of the romance stories.

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have the really nice Frazetta oversize hardcover that reprints all of the romance stories.

What's the title of this book?

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

Evan, what's the title on that book?

Telling Stories: The Comic Art of Frank Frazetta (edited by Edward Mason)

On 6/22/2017 at 3:26 PM, sacentaur said:

With my copy now at CGC, I'm reminded that Top-Notch 22 is a rare book (just one copy currently on the census and I believe it's the Church) that has the first appearance of Archie in a full-page ad.

Anyone here have a copy? hm 

This book has the same ad...

specialcomics1.jpg

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe this cover was originally intended to run in the Famous Funnies series with the other Frazetta issues. 

You're thinking of the Weird Science-Fantasy 29.  The Buster Crabbe #5 actually predates the FF 209-216 by about a year and a half.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Police #1.  Tough book to find and sales have been creeping upwards as well as a few WTB threads over the past year.  As minor characters gain more prominence, its only a matter of time until this 1st appearance of a well known character pops.  Though I don't think it'll be because of movie news.  

2 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Police #1.  Tough book to find and sales have been creeping upwards as well as a few WTB threads over the past year.  As minor characters gain more prominence, its only a matter of time until this 1st appearance of a well known character pops.  Though I don't think it'll be because of movie news.  

Police #5 is the first Plastic Man cover.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Police #5 is the first Plastic Man cover.

It is (technically - his face is on #1), but I haven't seen much interest in Police beyond #1 (his 1st appearance).  Its also the 1st appearance of Phantom Lady, which I believe adds some cache.  Its the MF #73 of Quality books.

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

This book has the same ad...

specialcomics1.jpg

How would you know? You got your x-ray specs on Richard?

Got a full color xerox with the book when I bought it from Verzyl. There is a full page comic strip touting Jackpot 4 and the lineup of characters including Archie and Jughead. Probably not the first appearance of Archie, but certainly early.

Edited by MrBedrock

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You're thinking of the Weird Science-Fantasy 29.  The Buster Crabbe #5 actually predates the FF 209-216 by about a year and a half.

Ah, ok.  That makes sense.

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

It is (technically - his face is on #1), but I haven't seen much interest in Police beyond #1 (his 1st appearance).  

With our hobby becoming so cover and key-centric, that wouldn't surprise me.

Still, the early Police books are good... really good.

I'm wondering why anyone would start a thread like this and expose overlooked books to the world of ravenous collectors...???  Unless, they wanted to sell theirs...hm

"The Comic Book Marketplace" was really good at stirring up dead books...just look what happened to Suspense #3 after their article...and other Schomburg books, and lame stuff like DC Sci-fi, and Baker covers, etc., etc...:whatthe:

I'm going to go hide now...

Edited by tricolorbrian

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

The proportions of the characters are a little wonky.  "Buster" (aka Flash Gordon) has slightly too large a head for instance.

It's probably the glass of the helmet magnifying his face in the image. (:

And on the cover it's Buster as Buck Rogers, to go with the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers.  It's only inside that it's Buster as Flash Gordon, to go with the other Williamson Flash Gordon stories.  (I find it neat that the issue really does work as a precursor to both those distinct runs by those creators, given that Buster Crabbe did play both characters at different times.)

On 7/2/2017 at 1:32 PM, Sqeggs said:

Amazing to me, too, how little love there is for Raboy.  Just as well, though, since I've still got a few books to go to complete his Fawcett run.

I don't think it's a lack of love...I just think nice copies of his desirable covers are really tough to find...and when you do find them, they ain't cheap...

=Master40.jpg

10 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

I don't think it's a lack of love...I just think nice copies of his desirable covers are really tough to find...and when you do find them, they ain't cheap...

=Master40.jpg

One of his best!