• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you follow galleries on CAF?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

I follow 38 galleries currently.

I note 29 members are following my gallery.

Like Brian, I generally follow galleries that I feel are likely to post pieces that are similar to my tastes and wants.  Keeping an eye on the competition.

I post comments when I am moved to, not when I am asked to.  I appreciate pieces which are from my reading history, even if they're out of my collecting purview.  So things like Byrne FF, Watchmen, Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Bolland Judge Dredd, early Marvel Star Wars, even the occasional Spider-Man might get a comment from me.  I try my best to comment when I really have something interesting to say; if I don't at least amuse myself, I might not post. :acclaim:

Edited by thethedew

I currently follow about 44 galleries and it looks like my gallery is watched by 41 premium members. The ones I tend to follow are friends or even random people who have similar tastes and I go to their gallery often anyway. I like to see which one has updated and go look to see what they posted, and it's a direct link to them at all times. It's an easy way to follow a fellow collector or artist with a gallery.

As for comments, I do know people that email/message a ton of people when they post new art. I will usually click the link and if I feel like it, I will leave a comment. The same goes for when someone I don't know comments on my art, I click their name to see their gallery and what they collect. Sometimes I see something I like and I leave a comment. (Comments are free and they make people feel good so why not?) But I don't comment on just anything and I won't email people directly fishing for comments/views because it feels weird to me, but to each their own. I will however post it here or on the Comicart-L when I have a really big Art Day because I want to share the excitement with others who may care about that artist/title/character, but I don't feel right direct messaging people individually about it on a mass level. Sharing here and the list is more take it or leave it, so there's no obligation felt to leave comments or even look at it if they don't want to. But judging from the people leaving the comments on my stuff, I think they all watch my gallery in most instances anyway.

watching about 90, watched by 43- I do wish that the comment count didn't include replies to comments, as I would respond to more comments, but feel like doing that artificially inflates the number of unique comments on a piece of art.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

14 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Im being followed by 22 users, I am currently following no one. Im probably one of the only premium members with that ratio LOL....so lazy...I should follow more i guess :-)

We forgive you.  How can anyone wih a Borat avatar not be forgiven for being lazy. (PS..love that movie)

I only follow 3 users and only have 6 people following me. I never looked at these numbers before. I guess one or two updates a year isn't going to get much attention.

John B.

36 minutes ago, Twanj said:

I didn't realize this was an option but don't know if I'd use it (even if I was a premium member).

Where are you finding these stats?

Its part of the options with premium membership.  Btw - of you look at caf a lot, premium membership is a nice way to support a site that you enjoy and want to see stick around.

I follow about 120 gallery owners and have 223 followers.  Gallery following, in addition to artist key word notifications I get twice a day, these are the only way I keep up with the site.  I almost never use the most views or most comments function, but that's just me.  It additionally seems to me that viewership on CAF seems to be way down based on all these stats.  Big postings 4 or 5 years ago used to get a lot of attention in views and comments, and today not so much.  Wonder if image sharing social media has eaten into CAF's traffic and/or appeal.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

20 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

I'm following 181, and followed by 55. It would be interesting to be able to ID those who follow you. It might lead me to discover galleries out there I don't already know about.

Watch out everyone, Roger might stalk you! :)

Malvin

20 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Big postings 4 or 5 years ago used to get a lot of attention in views and comments, and today not so much.  Wonder if image sharing social media has eaten into CAF's traffic and/or appeal.

Scott

I think the bolded part has some value.

If someone posts a piece i like and I comment here/facebook I am probably not going to make the same comment on CAF.  If I see the piece on CAF first I will make the comment there.   It's more about expressing to the owner how  I feel about the art regardless of the internet local.

Maybe the 'comment whores' should do a 24 hour exclusive preview on CAF before posting elsewhere to ensure the maximum amount of comments are preserved on CAF  :idea: 

29 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I follow about 120 gallery owners and have 223 followers.  Gallery following, in addition to artist key word notifications I get twice a day, these are the only way I keep up with the site.  I almost never use the most views or most comments function, but that's just me.  It additionally seems to me that viewership on CAF seems to be way down based on all these stats.  Big postings 4 or 5 years ago used to get a lot of attention in views and comments, and today not so much.  Wonder if image sharing social media has eaten into CAF's traffic and/or appeal.

Scott

It could be that, I think it also might be when bill took the most commented and most viewed out of the front page of CAF.  I thought/felt that comments went down after that.  I think having it on the front page slowed down the page loading, and it did lead to people inflating their comments and views to get attention.

Malvin

5 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Can anyone tell me how to un-follow a gallery?  Thanks, Lee

Lee,

There's a 'Manage Watched CAF Galleries' option under your 'My Premium Preferences' function.

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

I believe this is the case, significantly