• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE - My basement flooded where my books are
3 3

139 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Yeah it's a bit  painful 

IMG_0381.JPG

Don't throw them away.  There has got to still be some kind of use or fun to be had with them.  Maybe you could do a Frederick Wertham / The Beatles, comic burning reenactment  party.  Have everyone dress in a suit and tie and be throwing comics into a blazing bonfire.  Then put the video on U-tube.  You'll get a million hits 

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

Don't throw them away.  There has got to still be some kind of use or fun to be had with them.  Maybe you could do a Frederick Wertham / The Beatles, comic burning reenactment  party.  Have everyone dress in a suit and tie and be throwing comics into a blazing bonfire.  Then put the video on U-tube.  You'll get a million hits 

if there is any way to dry them out, they might still be useful to someone as readers.

11 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Its an older house that had some water leakage issues due to an older style concrete block foundation when we first moved in.  We had the house set up with external waterproofing and new drainage systems which worked well for the last 4 or five years.    The basement has sunken windows with those galvanized barriers around them that protrude up through the ground.  With a combination of all the heavy rains, and some erosion around the window area with the barrier settling over the years, a big run off of water basically emptied directly to the window space and flowed right past the window frame, down the wall and into the basement room from what I can tell.   Windows are meant to be weather proof, not submersible proof.     I did some fix up today that should keep it from happening again.

I'm sorry to hear this happened. We had a late 1800's house in the downtown area. When we did the window well work, we dug 12 feet, to under the foundation wall and that was one of the dryest summers on record, and hit the water table at 10ft. The workers were working in 2 feet of water the whole time. With the rain we've had this year (which I understand from environment Canada is nearing triple the amount we've had in previous summers) the water table must be higher - I would estimate in the 8 to 9 feet threshold. And we were very far from Lake Ontario, up on a hill (if you know the Davenport and Bathurst Street hill, that's the hill I'm talking about). A sump pump on an old build is never the same as one that's installed when the house is being constructed from the ground up. Proper grading and drainage in a tightly clustered neighbourhood never works because even if you're moving water away from your house, it's either going into your neighbours lot, or sinking back down to the water table - in Toronto, any house with an 8+ foot basement is going to be sitting on water with the kind of seasonal summer we've had.

Did you have insurance? I'm just curious if you've spoken to them yet, as it's become a major issue all across Canada, with many insurers not covering such losses, and insisting people get additional water protection coverage. I hope you aren't one of them. If you need help with appraising your loss, feel free to contact me. I'm accredited through the CPPA as a personal property appraiser. Best of luck with everything.

Edited by comicwiz

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

I'm sorry to hear this happened. We had a late 1800's house in the downtown area. When we did the window well work, we dug 12 feet, to under the foundation wall and that was one of the dryest summers on record, and hit the water table at 10ft. The workers were working in 2 feet of water the whole time. With the rain we've had this year (which I understand from environment Canada is nearing triple the amount we've had in previous summers) the water table must be higher - I would estimate in the 8 to 9 feet threshold. And we were very far from Lake Ontario, up on a hill (if you know the Davenport and Bathurst Street hill, that's the hill I'm talking about). A sump pump on an old build is never the same as one that's installed when the house is being constructed from the ground up. Proper grading and drainage in a tightly clustered neighbourhood never works because even if you're moving water away from your house, it's either going into your neighbours lot, or sinking back down to the water table - in Toronto, any house with an 8+ foot basement is going to be sitting on water with the kind of seasonal summer we've had.

Did you have insurance? I'm just curious if you've spoken to them yet, as it's become a major issue all across Canada, with many insurers not covering such losses, and insisting people get additional water protection coverage. I hope you aren't one of them. If you need help with appraising your loss, feel free to contact me. I'm accredited through the CPPA as a personal property appraiser. Best of luck with everything.

Thanks for the info.   Not going to go through insurance as the damage has been pretty minimal all things considered.  My neighbors put a claim in a number of years ago when a main break put two feet of water in their basement, the cost of clean up and damages was over 60K.  They had had one previous smaller water claim as well.   There insurer will no longer provide them with any flood coverage as part of their insurance ?   Hopefully I won't run in to any severe flooding situations , but if I ever do, that is when I will be contacting our insurance group to deal with it.

I can feel your pain. Even if the loss was limited, it happened to me twice to have water in my room (due to a lack of attention from the bathroom).
This resulted in the damaging/loss of a few unique items that I had (primarily paper stuff from the 1910s-1940s, and related to my WW2/comics research, especially newspapers, posters and large sized items, as I lacked the space to store them properly away from the floor. :(

3 hours ago, vaillant said:

I can feel your pain. Even if the loss was limited, it happened to me twice to have water in my room (due to a lack of attention from the bathroom).
This resulted in the damaging/loss of a few unique items that I had (primarily paper stuff from the 1910s-1940s, and related to my WW2/comics research, especially newspapers, posters and large sized items, as I lacked the space to store them properly away from the floor. :(

Some of you know that our electric furnace caught fire, and burnt up on January 15 of this year.  Luckily, my son came home and discovered it before anything more than some smoke damage occurred.  Despite the comic cavern being located adjacent to the furnace room, no comics were damaged.  We've finally (this week) finished with clean up, new carpet, moldings, and multiple coats of fresh paint on everything.  We've used the opportunity to sift through many possessions, and send many items to goodwill and the dump.  All I have left is to replace the furnace, and with the opportunity of hot weather, we've decided to go with the heat pump option, so that us old folks will have air conditioning in the future.

long story short, I came off very lucky on the comic front.  Pretty sure if they had all burnt up, it would have facilitated my swift exit from the hobby..., a missed opportunity.

23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Some of you know that our electric furnace caught fire, and burnt up on January 15 of this year.  Luckily, my son came home and discovered it before anything more than some smoke damage occurred.  Despite the comic cavern being located adjacent to the furnace room, no comics were damaged.  We've finally (this week) finished with clean up, new carpet, moldings, and multiple coats of fresh paint on everything.  We've used the opportunity to sift through many possessions, and send many items to goodwill and the dump.  All I have left is to replace the furnace, and with the opportunity of hot weather, we've decided to go with the heat pump option, so that us old folks will have air conditioning in the future.

long story short, I came off very lucky on the comic front.  Pretty sure if they had all burnt up, it would have facilitated my swift exit from the hobby..., a missed opportunity.

Unfortunate as they are, these things (especially when the damage is limited) help us to realize we are often too attached to a number of things we would barely enjoy or put to good use once again!

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

No, it would have been sad to lose you.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Glad it wasn't too bad.

That's another thing you can add to a smartthings monitor:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/201581984-First-Alert-Smoke-Detector-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-ZCOMBO-

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Ditto, I feel terrible for you.  Here's hoping the Planet's got through unscathed and unsullied.

The Planets were all ok.  I keep those in another room well away from the floor :)

2 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Sorry to hear this .... yea the rain has been non stop it seems this summer ... 

Super dry and hot in Edmonton so far this summer. Sorry to hear about the flooding.

18 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

The Planets were all ok.  I keep those in another room well away from the floor :)

I am glad your Planets didn't get damaged Jason.....were talking about the comics right(shrug)

You are lucky you got away with little damage Jason.

I had a flood at my parents house when I was a teen and all my Cracked , Mad and magazine size books were damaged, my comics were on higher ground and safe.

It is a horrible feeling. I hope it all works out for you Jason. We have had a lot of rain in Toronto this year.

Edited by cheta42