• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

I had a couple of people ask me about this guy in PMs. His name is John Koukisaskis. He is a LONG time collector and former owner of Freedonia Funnyworks in Orange County. Closed his store a long time ago but still real active at shows around here. Very knowlegable in many fields and a heck of a nice guy. John was VERY good friends with Dave Stevens. So much so that Dave left most of his stuff (other than his art) to him when he passed away. I got to know Dave through John. Lots of good times...

3DDF68C9-F600-4AA3-8B13-F455E5E3C564.jpeg

On 3/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Robot Man said:

I had a couple of people ask me about this guy in PMs. His name is John Koukisaskis. He is a LONG time collector and former owner of Freedonia Funnyworks in Orange County. Closed his store a long time ago but still real active at shows around here. Very knowlegable in many fields and a heck of a nice guy. John was VERY good friends with Dave Stevens. So much so that Dave left most of his stuff (other than his art) to him when he passed away. I got to know Dave through John. Lots of good times...

3DDF68C9-F600-4AA3-8B13-F455E5E3C564.jpeg

Interesting.  So is John part of the group behind the Dave Stevens Estate sales on eBay?

OK after two days on the WonderCon floor and an early morning flea market, I’m a bit “junk drunk” but here goes...

Headed over to the “Happiest Place on Earth” early to get good parking on Friday. I scored a great spot in the lot right next to Hall A where all the comic dealers are. Makes for a short walk at the end of the day when you are tired!

Sat around outside for a while. The show didn’t open until 11:30 but noticed a few people around 9:30 inside. One was kind enough to let me in. I hung around by the security guard just out of sight until a large group of dealers were walking in and slid into the pack. And in I was early! While waiting, this lovely young lady was keeping me company on the bench. She agreed to not tell anyone if I slid in a little early. Nice way to start a con!

F86A7AED-6F5A-4CDF-AD5C-864802EA5649.jpeg

My first stop was Brad from F-VF. Sold me a very nice Weird Science #14 for a real friendly price. A great guy with accurate grading and fair pricing. Hit him up first whenever you go to a show that he is attending. He was morning about how hard it has been for him to obtain collections. A common problem with most dealers I spoke to.

My next stop was with Brian Peet’s from A-1 for the same reasons. Not much with him. He told me he left most of his GA box stock back at the store. Huh? Oh, well, I managed to pick up a decent Gunsmoke #5 with a great Ingells cover and another great cheap GGA Fritzi Ritz. I love these. Would have bought more but he didn’t bring it. Here is a wall shot of his booth. 

FE5BE192-18D3-4AFF-8CC7-466C09BAE97A.jpeg

I then strolled over to see the tall Texan Ritchie from Bedrock City. Another of my favorite dealers. We talked baseball while I picked his boxes. Got a couple cool ECs. Sadly, his box stock was a little picked over from Chicago. He had a dazzling wall of beauties including a couple of beautiful high grade Hangmans which I couldn’t afford. (More about them later). 

19846B12-C71E-4D43-889F-265A2028D28B.jpeg

6531A3BB-3630-4C89-8277-FCA1607AA0E3.jpeg

The hardest working man in comics needs no introduction. If there was a con on the moon, he would be there. Spent some time with Scentaur picking Harley’s boxes. As good as walls were the stuff in boxes he just bought was even better! Overpaid for some books and surprisingly, found the best deal of the show! More about that later. 

D92E9DF1-4698-4714-ACFE-5665C9A92DAA.jpeg

12303944-FA1E-4B0C-8B27-180D3A992F8D.jpeg

0D85A6E0-F4BA-425C-9F89-9D097242D896.jpeg

89EF4D69-1B23-4893-887E-8C1AE55C2930.jpeg