• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

This cool pulp was just laying on a guy’s table just begging me to take it home. Never seen it before. It always amazes me how much money people spend on PCH without giving a book like this a second look at a tiny fraction of what an average PCH book costs.   (shrug)

B37DD014-A13B-4273-9F7B-5588512025F6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Sweet!  I went last year but missed this one. Of course Hap would be there!

Almost all romance for $5 each. You would have loved them Andy. A lot of the Ace ones looked like painted comic covers. Just nothing that pulled my chain...

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This cool pulp was just laying on a guy’s table just begging me to take it home. Never seen it before. It always amazes me how much money people spend on PCH without giving a book like this a second look at a tiny fraction of what an average PCH book costs.   (shrug)

B37DD014-A13B-4273-9F7B-5588512025F6.jpeg

Great cover red dressed babe and all :smile:

Edited by comicjack

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Got  a couple of early fandom books signed my one of our forefathers D I c k Lupoff!  Just not to many of these early pioneers still with us.  (worship)

A04740C5-0C2B-4E41-9EBF-7081EB332B24.jpeg

2DD4B9AE-67B4-4D21-8E6A-B09D5B235210.jpeg

Richard Lupoff? It took me a second to recognize his name.  I'm currently reading All in Color for a Dime, which I got it for Christmas. I just love reading the stories about the history of the comics industry and the people that created the hobby that I enjoy so much, plus all the stories from other collectors. It's good to see that Mr. Lupoff is out and about. Thanks for posting updates to this thread I enjoy much, Robot Man!

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

However, the prize if the day... pennies on the dollar as to what the comic would cost and SO much rarer! I’m a happy Robot!

E933B347-D217-4B39-9D7B-EB6CC5E08639.jpeg

I'm so jealous!  I agree, pulps and paperbacks are incredibly cheap compared to comics.  Lately I've been buying so many, I have to organize my collecting so as not to lose focus.

I obviously have no focus...:roflmao:

I will say, I have really purged my paperback and pulp collection in the past couple of years. Just kept a few boxes of the ones I want the most. I have to fight the urge but do occasionally pick up a few when I run across cool ones. I have really started to work on the comic collection too. A lot harder because they are my first passion. A lot of stuff is surprisingly easy though.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

In honor of the upcoming Tim Burton Dumbo movie, I thought I’d post a few vintage Dumbo items. By the way, it looks great. 

C71E65D5-7C49-41FF-975D-BB26BCF3E8CA.jpeg

C82BC558-DA93-4F3A-9EAA-BF8CBF5B2401.jpeg

I'm heading to a screening this Sunday. Hard to imagine Tim Burton doing this take on the Disney classic. The Dumbo Four Color comic is one of the few I am missing from that early forties animated Dell run. Someday a copy will come my way.

Anything by Burton is usually a must see. The trailers seem to have that “look”. Kind of dark and moody. You can almost smell the hay and the peanuts. Very UN Disney. I am looking forward to it.

Oddly, I don’t think I have any GA Dumbo comics myself. I do have an early paint book and a few of those DX giveaways and that paintbook pictured on the large pinback, but am too lazy to dig them out. For some reason, they didn’t merchandise Dumbo very much in the day. I don’t see a lot of his “stuff” that is 1941 vintage.

Anybody want to post their Dumbo stuff. This is the time and place...

Edited by Robot Man