• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

Red Hood Comics out of Las Vegas. Never heard of them but their walls sure got my attention. Best selection of wall PCH in the room. Didn’t see any thing I needed. (One of the perks of being a long time collector of these). Problem were the prices were through the roof. Probably why they had so much. Saw a lot of lookers then they were handing them back with the usual “thanks”. I spotted a nice mid to high grade MAD #2. I have a beater but it being one of my favorite issues, I really wanted a nice one. Price was s little high do I had to remind them about the weak MAD market, Needless to say, they took my offer. I was very happy to get it. I came back a few times and the only hole in their wall was my MAD #2. I think they were selling some Bronze to Modern in their boxes. They seemed more interested in hitting every one who walked up for buys. The kid behind the table spotted my briefcase and asked me what was in it. I replied “drugs”. The look on his face was priceless!

4332E7C2-6120-4F5C-8BA7-8FD24214035E.jpeg

0E530D96-4577-49EC-9993-803DCC1480EA.jpeg

E4731C0D-401E-41FA-A2D6-065FE5E753F7.jpeg

7F65F937-7589-42C7-A03C-361D2ED562CF.jpeg

E797DD23-A5DC-443B-81CE-A84544E70C97.jpeg

Went by to say Hi to Sal Deceria. He had an amazing estate sale collection of very high grade pulps. A lot of key Weird Tales.

Selling with him were good friends Jim and Linda Malley.  The whole booth looked a little dead. I did score this cool 1930’s Tarzan license plate topper. Must have been a car club from NO CA. Never seen one. Was happy to get it!

3330CB2B-8151-426A-AD49-3D484F2149B8.jpeg

2A0863D7-34EC-41DA-B18B-A3930AE4F43D.jpeg

0413A20D-93A2-4447-A3D0-E5DD7FBACEB1.jpeg

So what did I snag. I did alright. Mostly Atlas and ECs. DC’s, Timeleys’ Planets, Baker, Ace and MLJ’s were either non existent or priced to the moon. I usually go home with a Schomburg Nedor, a Speed comic or cool WWII book. Nope not this time. Was happy to fill in or upgrade some EC and Atlas though. 

0B25EB3D-F317-4576-9F3F-EE3F318DB480.jpeg

9ACBC823-729C-4AD2-9A1D-58D19399F8CD.jpeg

Great report!  Thanks for taking all the pictures and putting together the write-up! :applause:

Summary, conclusion and thoughts...

This year seemed a little slim pickings and VERY pricey. Even on a lot of more “available” stuff like ECs. 

It didn’t help that the Chicago show was just a week or so ago. Most of what I got came from West Coast or smaller dealers. It also didn’t help that a lot of dealers either didn’t bring or didn’t have much decent GA stock. Seems like every dealer was aggressive in asking attendees what they had to sell. They can’t get the good stuff and when they do, don’t want to sell it very bad. I blame this on a VERY strong market and the rise of a whole lot of very aggressive younger “flippers”. Seems like especially out here, every body is scrambling to find good books for the quick flip at very tight margins. I am constantly being hit up to sell my books. I’ve seen quite a few lose money or make very little. I hope they stay around ‘till I decide to sell. eBay doesn’t help either. Every time I think I have some kind of a grip on the market, I see more and more astonishing high prices. GA market is on fire folks. I find myself just priced out. Good thing I’m a geezer and have been buying as long as I have.:preach:

As far as the show went, it was good but not great. Probably 85% was Funkos, T-Shirts, Toys and other fringe stuff. No decent artists or writer to see. Lots of long lines for paid autographs and witnesses. I started to try to walk the show but it was elbow to elbow with strollers and newly minted “geeks”. I quickly retreated back to the comfort of the SA/GA pavilion.

Still had a lot of fun. Saw a lot of boardies and caught up with friends. No matter how you see conventions, there is nothing like them. Always ready for the next one!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Summary, conclusion and thoughts...

This year seemed a little slim pickings and VERY pricey. Even on a lot of more “available” stuff like ECs. 

It didn’t help that the Chicago show was just a week or so ago. Most of what I got came from West Coast or smaller dealers. It also didn’t help that a lot of dealers either didn’t bring or didn’t have much decent GA stock. Seems like every dealer was aggressive in asking attendees what they had to sell. They can’t get the good stuff and when they do, don’t want to sell it very bad. I blame this on a VERY strong market and the rise of a whole lot of very aggressive younger “flippers”. Seems like especially out here, every body is scrambling to find good books for the quick flip at very tight margins. I am constantly being hit up to sell my books. I’ve seen quite a few lose money or make very little. I hope they stay around ‘till I decide to sell. eBay doesn’t help either. Every time I think I have some kind of a grip on the market, I see more and more astonishing high prices. GA market is on fire folks. I find myself just priced out. Good thing I’m a geezer and have been buying as long as I have.:preach:

As far as the show went, it was good but not great. Probably 85% was Funkos, T-Shirts, Toys and other fringe stuff. No decent artists or writer to see. Lots of long lines for paid autographs and witnesses. I started to try to walk the show but it was elbow to elbow with strollers and newly minted “geeks”. I quickly retreated back to the comfort of the SA/GA pavilion.

Still had a lot of fun. Saw a lot of boardies and caught up with friends. No matter how you see conventions, there is nothing like them. Always ready for the next one!

I felt this year that less "comic book" dealers were there. I think the 85% is low on the fringe, more like 90%. This could be a reaction to the new tread of real comic book one and two day shows. I agree too close to Chicago for dealers to restock coming from there. In some ways its more intimate than San Diego, but is like a smaller baby brother..its growing, each year row by row. Not a bad con but SD clearly is the leader. Friday and Sat( that is the day I went)  were sold out but it show be interesting to see how this show evolves in the next couple of years. Price wise I agree, strong prices and good material is getting harder to come by. The GA market looks very strong for now.

Edited by Mmehdy