• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,108 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, manetteska said:

What was your price on the PL?

Voodoos and the like can be hot. I don't mind flippers flipping (I assume if they're buying they might be planning to do that) but I have never given credence to any "this is for my personal collection" story while angling for a discount -- price is the price.

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

I never “kiss and tell” This is between the buyer and me. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the guy. He didn’t give me any sob story. I’m not upset. It’s his to do what he wants with. I thought I had it priced real fair and apparently he did too or he wouldn’t have bought it. 

Just seems like everybody is a flipper these days. I always give good deals to those who I think really love the books and appreciate them for what they are.

57 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Voodoos and the like can be hot. I don't mind flippers flipping (I assume if they're buying they might be planning to do that) but I have never given credence to any "this is for my personal collection" story while angling for a discount -- price is the price.

True dat!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
3 hours ago, manetteska said:

I never “kiss and tell” This is between the buyer and me. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the guy. He didn’t give me any sob story. I’m not upset. It’s his to do what he wants with. I thought I had it priced real fair and apparently he did too or he wouldn’t have bought it. 

Just seems like everybody is a flipper these days. I always give good deals to those who I think really love the books and appreciate them for what they are.

No, I get it; a seller quotes a price and if it sells, that's the end of it. Just wondering the price as I have in-laws in LA and go out there a few times a year -- actually very soon, in time for WonderCon. I always see more comic-focused shows pop up in LA and am thinking of making a January trip part of our routine. If so, I'd definitely make a pit stop at your booth.

I guess the word is out that 'ole Robot Man sells his books too cheap...:roflmao: Naw, I make a little on them. Sometimes a LOT depending how long I've had them. Not greedy but not stupid either. I never mind someone making a buck on my books. Just don't BS me...

Yeah, the Yorba Linda show is epic. I recomend it to everybody. The smaller shows, not so much. I'm to small a fish to do WonderCon or SDCC.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I guess the word is out that 'ole Robot Man sells his books too cheap...:roflmao: Naw, I make a little on them. Sometimes a LOT depending how long I've had them. Not greedy but not stupid either. I never mind someone making a buck on my books. Just don't BS me...

I always keep the books I buy from you...except that super low grade Baker you sold me 3 or 4 years ago.  That thing just had to go...:roflmao:

Some of you may recall that I posted this 1927 Parker Brothers board game a few years ago in Robot Man's original thread. My wife and I have owned it since 2008, and it was passed down to us from my wife's grandmother. In 10+ years of occasionally checking Ebay to see if another copy would surface for sale, I found 2 of these games for sale today.  :whatthe:

The Flying Four game is based on Charles Lindberg's historic flight from New York to Paris in 1927.

Link to one of the current auctions for this game.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FLYING-FOUR-GREAT-INTERNATIONAL-AIRPLANE-Board-game-1927-parker-rare-vintage/223438906654?hash=item3405ff251e:g:7TUAAOSweI1cK4yH:sc:USPSPriority!55316!US!-1

Link to the 2nd auction for this game.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1927-PARKER-BROTHERS-THE-FLYING-FOUR-GREAT-INTERNATIONAL-AIRPLANE-GAME/273749964791?hash=item3fbcc4f7f7:g:RvoAAOSwNDFbYJL7

flyingfour_box.jpeg

flyingfour_board.jpeg

flyingfour_board2.jpeg

flyingfour_rules.jpeg

On 3/8/2019 at 12:27 PM, Robot Man said:

Being a huge fan of MAD Magazine and Jimi Hendrix, I thought I'd share this photo I recently ran into.

photo.jpg

He could play that guitar like no other

Show report of a slightly different sort. Spent the day at the Los Angeles Paperback show. Only happens once a year. As it says, it is a paperback show. But all manner of paper goods always appear. Other than the occasional flea market scores, I rarely buy many paperbacks. I do have stuff I occasionally still look for. Like pulps, I buy them mostly for the covers. This is a dizzingly, blinding show. Lots of spines so it helps if you know the publishers. In addition to paperbacks, there were also pulps and a few comics. A very cheap collecting habit compared to comics and if you dig a little, can be very rewarding. Had fun with a lot of people and a great way to spend the day!

Edited by Robot Man

Bumped into some buddies... Left to right, board member Hap Hazzard, MAD magazine artist Sergio Argonnes, noted jazz guitarist and EC MAD magazine historian, Grant Geissman and local comic book, premium and EC collector, John Goguagin.

CABC5A17-235A-4BC9-9F59-D384B9AADD13.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man