• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

I was fortunate enough to visit the memorial with my step son when he was stationed at Pearl. Quite the experience.

Jake says that when survivors visit, they are assigned a young sailor, Officially to “help them get around”. The real reason is to teach the newbies what the place really means.  🇺🇸

I was also there with my family when I was around 9 or 10. I had no clue what was going on. My brother and I were fascinated with the drops of oil still bubbling to the surface and checking out what was left of the ship that we could see. I do remember a lot of Japanese people there who were weeping and praying. It was very surreal. I would love to return as an adult to pay proper respect now...

7 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My wife and I had our first date December 7th. 

I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere. :p

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I’m OK. Thanks! Worst part is the Doc says no lifting comic boxes or motorcycle motors for at least a month. :sorry:  Not used to sitting around. 

Bummer.  I hope all goes well with the recovery.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere. :p

There is. It’s a lot of war analogies. The “half anniversary” (ask a woman) comes out to around D Day, and I proposed on The Ides of March. So, yep.

Never said it was a funny joke.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks for posting this Don. Very historical and ominous. You are correct. Wheeler was one of the first targets. Hope Uncle Mugs made it home safely. I bet he had some stories. My father in law rarely talked about Pearl Harbor. But he did give me his photos since I was the only one who seemed interested. Different times. The US public seemed so united in those days. 

I'm joyful whenever I can share it with people who can appreciate its poignancy. Unfortunately, Uncle Mugs carried scars both physical and emotional his whole life from his war experiences, but like your father-in-law and my father too, he never talked about it. My dad served in the marines from '44 til after the war and did a lot of island-hopping in those final months of the war, including Iwo. His final days in service found him as a drill instructor, so it's amazing my brother and I got away with half the sh#t we did as kids, what with a USMC DI as our dad...  I can't get my kids to understand how deeply the war touched our families and the nation. Different times, as you say. :preach:

Here's a photo of Uncle Mugs (Marshall) next to "beth:"

35296177.c3e86324.1024.jpg