• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

On 2017-10-03 at 8:01 PM, Sqeggs said:

Alas, the Carnegie Deli closed last year.  You can always try Katz's. 

Katz is better anyway.

NY Comicon Report 9 - More Dealer Walls

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. It's nice seeing that people actually read these posts.

Here are some additional walls.  In the second picture is a very nice Spider-Gwen cover by Jenny Frisson (for $4k).

IMG_0613.thumb.JPG.32f490eea7040e9355a78f7f1fb5ac0b.JPG

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.ab0d8139a304ff266bb5b6ed5a981739.JPG

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.177b56af8d202b95dee1a6ce37927f12.JPG

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.8d02e723cf7f6a5abae69fc006ec4fdd.JPG

IMG_0606.thumb.JPG.2a05e45f1258adbafa9e96dfe4856aab.JPG

IMG_0605.thumb.JPG.443cc9fbba6d73956da221ab18ae3b77.JPG

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.bdcac2a68ef624c4365937ba00d7c19d.JPG

This Dave Stevens OA was being offered for $25,000:

IMG_0793.thumb.JPG.137297fdea4b3d8043778210d99f3c8a.JPG

IMG_0794.thumb.JPG.bfc04b678f178faedc3d0e52e1d0b6d9.JPG

The same dealer was offering this early Mary Jane by Romita for $18,000.

IMG_0795.thumb.JPG.31e9c1705fdc5c03ec95698b5239a53f.JPG

30 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Did you pick up that strange worlds? That's one of my favorite covers of all time. 

Rick I knew you were going to ask about that comic. B|

No, I didn't get it.  It was priced at $350, but it was incomplete.

NY Comicon Report 10 - My Rick and Morty’s Szechuan Sauce Story at NYCC

This is actually my daughter's story.  You've probably heard about McDonald's botched limited release of its Szechan sauce.  If not, here's what happened: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2017/10/09/mcdonalds-botched-its-rick-and-morty-szechuan-sauce-stunt-and-fans-are-not-happy/?utm_term=.0eb1192e7e93

My daughter is a fan of Rick and Morty so she wanted to go to McDs to try the sauce.  (The sauce was being released on Saturday.) But it was being released at just some McDs, and we didn't want to burn the entire day looking for the sauce.  As it turns out, even the McDs that got the sauce only got a limited amount, some as little as 20 packs.

Anyway, my daughter went to a NYCC after-party on Saturday night.  Somehow, a manager from a McDonald's in NYC got a gallon of the sauce.  He brought the sauce plus 200 McNuggets to the party.  So my daughter got to try the sauce after all. 

She told me the sauce was kind of disappointing.  It tasted like BBQ sauce, barely spicy at all.  But it was a cool story.

38 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Nice report.  I enjoyed the wall pics more than the food pics.  The food pics just make me hungry... lol  I never cease to be amazed at Harley's optimistic pricing...$1900 for a 6.5 Romantic marriage 24?  Unbelievable...

last time i wrote something about unnamed dealers asking silly prices at cons, i got a bunch of replies mocking me for being "anti-dealer." but i love how you put it- "optimistic pricing." i recall 3 years ago getting an "optimistic" price from him on something there at NYCC and coming home to get the same book from someone less "optimistic" for fair market price. i'm not anti-dealer though! just anti-optimist i guess. 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

last time i wrote something about unnamed dealers asking silly prices at cons, i got a bunch of replies mocking me for being "anti-dealer." but i love how you put it- "optimistic pricing." i recall 3 years ago getting an "optimistic" price from him on something there at NYCC and coming home to get the same book from someone less "optimistic" for fair market price. i'm not anti-dealer though! just anti-optimist i guess. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about dealers asking what they want...and Harley will usually discount if asked, but sometimes this Baker gouging is just too funny... lol

Harley has always been on the high side...and with time his optimism will catch up and even be passed by current prices.  It just depends on if you want to wait that long.  I thought his price of $37 in 2001 for a CL25 in VG- was high, but I bought it.  Now, I wouldn't sell that copy for less than $3,000...:whistle:

41 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

What auction will this be offered in? I don't see it on the Heritage site.

Sorry, I don't remember.  Heritage, C-Link and C-Connect were there, so one of those 3.

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Nice report.  I enjoyed the wall pics more than the food pics.  The food pics just make me hungry... lol  I never cease to be amazed at Harley's optimistic pricing...$1900 for a 6.5 Romantic marriage 24?  Unbelievable...

I hear you, but did you see the closing prices for low grade Baker in the C-Link auction that closed on Thursday?  If I was a dealer and I had any Baker CGC 6.0 or above, I'd be pricing it high too.  People are paying crazy money for Baker nowadays.

I didn't buy anything from Harley at this con.  But I've bought a lot of good stuff in the past from him.  I always make sure to check out what he's offering.  He single handedly made WW Philly a good con for me.

7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It's mine. Everybody back off. 

Done deal. 

Dang!  I knew I shouldn't have posted that one!  And you know it doesn't count until you say :takeit:

Edited by n2wdw

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This specific book is particularly interesting in terms of price discovery because it went for $951 at CL just 4 months ago.  I'm pretty sure Harley doesn't get his inventory on auction sites, so this was a resale to him, for what, $1100-$1300 on the flip?  That Harley would buy in at this price level is the key takeaway.  :preach:

10 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

This specific book is particularly interesting in terms of price discovery because it went for $951 at CL just 4 months ago.  I'm pretty sure Harley doesn't get his inventory on auction sites, so this was a resale to him, for what, $1100-$1300 on the flip?  That Harley would buy in at this price level is the key takeaway.  :preach:

I'm just happy to already have my copy.  And since a rising tide lifts all boats, I say "Go Harley! Go!"

59dbff01b348e_RomanticMarriage24CGC4_557.jpg.3840fd20d5c7300e5473b0f158dee5eb.jpg