• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark on what this Matt Baker Teen-Age Romances #9 comic might be worth. 

teen romance.jpg

A ballpark is hard to give without a bigger picture. Is there moisture damage? Yes it is desirable and you could get a good price.

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

A ballpark is hard to give without a bigger picture. Is there moisture damage? Yes it is desirable and you could get a good price.

Yeah, it looked like moisture damage to me too. I don't have it  in my possession yet... just purchased it online and was wondering if it was a bargain.

16 minutes ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:

Yeah, it looked like moisture damage to me too. I don't have it  in my possession yet... just purchased it online and was wondering if it was a bargain.

Depends on what you paid.

Do You Remember Tiffany?

Next month I'm going to the Steel City con in Pittsburgh.  I haven't gone for a few years so it'll be interested to see how the con has changed.  When I last went, it was mostly a toy con.  Now it seems to be more of a pop culture con, like Wizard World.

Tiffany will be there.  Do you remember her?  Back when I was in college she had the hit "I Think We're Alone Now."  I think she was mostly a one hit wonder, but maybe she had a few other songs.  Anyway, I got this album on eBay and I plan to get her to sign it. 

5aa81f5b139ce_TiffanyIThinkWereAloneNow.thumb.JPG.36fa6090d86cf7a5a913d0196879cf0a.JPG

A few years back, Tiffany tried to make a come back.  As part of that, she posed in Playboy.  I plan to have her sign this too.  This Playboy came out in 2002, 15 years ago.  I'm curious to see what Tiffany looks like now.  That is, with her clothes on.

5aa81f5827aa0_PlayboyApril2002Tiffany.jpg.e6bb93a4f3d9a6e663f154fcf5249b47.jpg

10 minutes ago, AuthorJamesMichaelRice said:
3 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Depends on what you paid.

Let's just say much, much, MUCH less than the one copy for $800+ I currently see on eBay (which itself appears to be in tough shape)

If the interior wasn't wrecked by the moisture, you probably did at least ok.  If the book can be pressed and dry cleaned into better shape, you may have a real bargain. 

3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Do You Remember Tiffany?

Next month I'm going to the Steel City con in Pittsburgh.  I haven't gone for a few years so it'll be interested to see how the con has changed.  When I last went, it was mostly a toy con.  Now it seems to be more of a pop culture con, like Wizard World.

Tiffany will be there.  Do you remember her?  Back when I was in college she had the hit "I Think We're Alone Now."  I think she was mostly a one hit wonder, but maybe she had a few other songs.  Anyway, I got this album on eBay and I plan to get her to sign it. 

5aa81f5b139ce_TiffanyIThinkWereAloneNow.thumb.JPG.36fa6090d86cf7a5a913d0196879cf0a.JPG

A few years back, Tiffany tried to make a come back.  As part of that, she posed in Playboy.  I plan to have her sign this too.  This Playboy came out in 2002, 15 years ago.  I'm curious to see what Tiffany looks like now.  That is, with her clothes on.

5aa81f5827aa0_PlayboyApril2002Tiffany.jpg.e6bb93a4f3d9a6e663f154fcf5249b47.jpg

I remember her from that one song.  Kind of funny to be a one-hit wonder whose only hit was actually a cover of an old (Tommy James) song.  I guess it beats being a no-hit dud, though. :)

23 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Excited About My Latest CGC Shipment

I received a CGC shipment today and I'm very happy with the grades.  Also, I've been experimenting with the photo box, and by adding a front light to the box it seems to cut down on the glare, while producing pics that reflect the true colors of the comics.  Here's what I got:

WOW, great books!

2 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Airboy, Valkyrie and Dave Stevens

I got into Airboy with the Eclipse series back in the mid-80s.  The stories were good, but some of the covers were jaw-dropping amazing.  Like this one, with Valkyrie.

5aabf22f22c44_Airboy5CGC9.8.jpg.99e0cd0cf3ec9fa19b8a72b0565b116b.jpg

The above cover is, of course, by Dave Stevens.  It's one of my favorite covers by Stevens.  When I first started collecting golden age GGA, I discovered that the Stevens' cover was actually a homage to the original appearance of Valkyrie back in 1943.  Below's my copy that I got at the Baltimore con a few years ago. 

There are obviously big differences between the 2 covers.  In the original, Airboy is chained, and in the Stevens version he is not.  But notice why he isn't chained -- it gave Stevens the ability to draw Airboy holding Valkyrie's leg.  To me that completely changes the imagery of the cover.  In the original, they're enemies.  In the remake, there's a hint that they will be allies (and perhaps something more).  This is just one example of how Dave Stevens was so great.

5aabf2377df4c_AirFighters14v22CGC6_5150.jpg.6860aecfab94cd5a36f230adb86eafaa.jpg

Dave's cover is just SO much better in so many ways. 

More GGA In Airboy

Airboy is underrated for GGA, in my opinion.  Here are some favorites from my collection.

5aad4403a0a46_AirboyV3671.thumb.jpg.a1519443ffcbd231793ce3d09f68f677.jpg

5aad43fe01c5f_Airboy21CGC6.5924b.thumb.JPG.0f6a7f4894fd91103a2f688915220369.JPG

5aad43f7c604e_Airboy1287a.jpg.9b7dd5b60fd4c163eba03cfcec2d2bae.jpg

Also in 2015, Image came out with an Airboy remake.  I bought the series for a buck a book at a local con.  I was surprised when I turned the page and saw this.  Only open if things like Stormy Daniels don't bother you.

Spoiler

5aad440583dad_Airboy2.jpg.bbf965a53ab2cb1ab1bfc30e121c1300.jpg