• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice score! Looks sealed too! I used to collect the Aurora Super hero and monster kits but when I finished, I sold them...:sorry:

I have been trying to stick with sealed ones.  Funny thing is, this is my third Robin kit :facepalm:

Hand written letter by heroes of my childhood.  Here's one from 1973.  Henry Winkler (THE FONZ) paying back his student loans (Yale University) and informing his contact at the Bursar that he will be starting a new role "a character named Fonzie" on a show called "Happy Days" after the first of the year 

Fonz Letter.JPG

Edited by Chicago Boy

In regards to model kit collecting, I used to build quite a few different plastic model kits in the late 60's and early 70's. Before I got a little older and got into WWII kits, I built model dinosaurs and some horror show models.

Let's see if any of you remember these. The kits I am thinking of, are based on the classic movie monsters like Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein, etc. The Mummy and Dracula were in sarcophagus or coffins and they used rubberbands so that when you opened the coffin you would get one view and after closing it and opening it again it would show the reverse side of the character. So with the Mummy, he was a normal looking mummy and when you reopened his sarcophagus he was awake and ready to grab you! Same with Dracula, you opened the coffin first and he was sleeping, then when reopened he would have his eyes open and be ready to pounce., I think I had all of the kits for this horror show theme but as I am going from memories of over 45 years ago I am not sure. I do not know which model company made these.

Ah, the childhood memories...

1 hour ago, ThreeSeas said:

In regards to model kit collecting, I used to build quite a few different plastic model kits in the late 60's and early 70's. Before I got a little older and got into WWII kits, I built model dinosaurs and some horror show models.

Let's see if any of you remember these. The kits I am thinking of, are based on the classic movie monsters like Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein, etc. The Mummy and Dracula were in sarcophagus or coffins and they used rubberbands so that when you opened the coffin you would get one view and after closing it and opening it again it would show the reverse side of the character. So with the Mummy, he was a normal looking mummy and when you reopened his sarcophagus he was awake and ready to grab you! Same with Dracula, you opened the coffin first and he was sleeping, then when reopened he would have his eyes open and be ready to pounce., I think I had all of the kits for this horror show theme but as I am going from memories of over 45 years ago I am not sure. I do not know which model company made these.

Ah, the childhood memories...

MPC Strange Change kits has been reissued.

I like affordable copies of the Scribner's  Classics series with illustrations by N.C. Wyeth .......preferably found at yardsales or Friends of the Library sales. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

N.C. Wyeth :luhv:

I was doing some much needed cleaning and stumbled onto a copy of Robinson Crusoe that I snagged at the Library for one buck ........... no dust jacket but it's still solid, no plates coming loose. I must confess I don't get lucky as often as I'd like ..... I've got Mysterious Island and a few others..... he was very prolific in the day. There was a Rare Books store locally that finally shut down and went totally internet that had the coolest stuff by him.... calendars, etc ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It was my first trip down to Berkeley (since the birth of my son) in 1979 & I took baby Crane bookstoring for the first time. $50 was a lot of dough to a young dad, but Crane and I agreed. Gina and her friends were somewhat flabbergasted when I showed up at their house with 2 kids...

since I changed the last two lines, I'll say to Tommy, 'Fixed that for ya'.

The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer’s art
Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.

Our only health is the disease
If we obey the dying nurse
Whose constant care is not to please
But to remind us of our, and Adam’s curse,
And that, to be restored, our sickness must grow worse.

The whole earth is our hospital
Endowed by the ruined millionaire,
Wherein, if we do well, we shall
Die of the absolute paternal care
That will not leave us, but prevents us everywhere.

The chill ascends from feet to knees,
The fever sings in mental wires.
If to be warmed, then I must freeze
And quake in frigid purgatorial fires
Of which the flame is roses, and the smoke is briars.

The dripping blood our only drink,
The bloody flesh our only food:
In spite of which we like to think
That we are sound, substantial- front and back-
Again, in spite of that, we call this Friday black.

(That we are sound, substantial flesh and blood-
Again, in spite of that, we call this Friday good.

– T.S. Eliot, East Coker IV, Four Quartets)

The bearer of this card witnessed the detonations of only the fourth and fifth atomic bombs in history at the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, per his participation in Operation Crossroads, in July of 1946.

The first detonation of a nuclear device was the Trinity test of July 16, 1945, followed less than a month later by the bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The U.S.S. Haven was a hospital ship of the U.S. Navy and was the lead ship for medical experiments in the Atoll during the course of the atomic tests.

35295283.3adcc72d.640.jpg