• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

I was bagging some vintage movie magazines tonight. Here are a few:

45468802.f1a6d0b7.800.jpg

I like Betty's initials on this one:

45468806.c9d7e956.800.jpg

And how's this for a cover by Zoe Mozert?

45468814.508fca7f.800.jpg

It's always fun to thumb through these old issues. They're chockfull of Hollywood royalty.

I've mentioned before that I collect various postcards - mostly Roadside America as it is termed. These are a few of the "chromes" I picked up today (so named because of the Kodachrome process). I'm strongly drawn to small town main streets as they remind me of childhood roadtrips with my family. I still get excited about driving out of my way on some obscure US or state highway just to criss-cross through a few more towns that I've never visited. Most of the great old neon signs are gone, and the few that are left are disappearing rapidly. Gone too are the mom-and-pop eateries and dimestores. Nostalgia is a curse, I tell you.

45775120.9effb27f.1024.jpg

45775122.d06c246c.1024.jpg

Love those old street scenes. I have been known to pick up a lot of old advertising signs like those. Great to see them in actual use. I love checking out the old cars parked down the street too.

Postcards are a great thing to collect. So many genres, always available, fun to find and usually cheap. 

They were recently at my friend Mark's place. He does demolition. He has 4 big buildings of salvage. He collects old vehicle toys and advertising signs. Amazing stuff he has gotten from tearing down old buildings in the LA area. He called them and they picked his place. I was there but not on camera. Great guys. Nothing was staged but the day and time of the pick. They bought a lot of stuff. Before they got there, Mark and I did a couple of deals. It was featured a couple of weeks ago. A bunch of guys geeking over cool old junk. Mike and Frank are good people. Had a lot of fun that day!

5 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

To throw  a bit of variety into the mix, I have a very extensive collection of depression era California pottery, this is the tip of the iceberg.

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

Cool stuff. My wife is an antique dealer and has quite a bit of that over the years. Prices have dropped quite a bit. Good if you are a collector.

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Cool stuff. My wife is an antique dealer and has quite a bit of that over the years. Prices have dropped quite a bit. Good if you are a collector.

Have her contact me if she runs across any Pacific or Catalina!

1 minute ago, lpsunburst said:

I also collect vintage guitars (with a bit of wine on the side), here are a couple.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

Nice! I play mine. Got. '59 Strat from my dad when I was 15. Also a '62 Gibson SG Standard, a Rickenbacket 360 and a couple others. Currently looking for a late '50s Gretch Country Gentleman. I play through a pre CBS Fender Twin Reverb.

Just now, Robot Man said:

Nice! I play mine. Got. '59 Strat from my dad when I was 15. Also a '62 Gibson SG Standard, a Rickenbacket 360 and a couple others. Currently looking for a late '50s Gretch Country Gentleman. I play through a pre CBS Fender Twin Reverb.

The strat is a '63 and Burst is 50's, PAF's and all. I was at Carters in Nashville a couple weeks ago and they had some really nice Gretch's in stock, worth a look if you are serious.

Just now, lpsunburst said:

The strat is a '63 and Burst is 50's, PAF's and all. I was at Carters in Nashville a couple weeks ago and they had some really nice Gretch's in stock, worth a look if you are serious.

I'm too poor right now. Saw a couple up in LA at a shop recently but they were pricey.

Never owned a Les Paul. Have always wanted one. I like the SG. Rocking humbuckers and a lot lighter than a Les Paul. 

Just now, Robot Man said:

I'm too poor right now. Saw a couple up in LA at a shop recently but they were pricey.

Never owned a Les Paul. Have always wanted one. I like the SG. Rocking humbuckers and a lot lighter than a Les Paul. 

I bought my son an SG that he loves, I have 3 other Les Pauls but that white strat gets all the attention be these days.

4 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

To throw  a bit of variety into the mix, I have a very extensive collection of depression era California pottery, this is the tip of the iceberg.

IMG_2631.JPG

I could see why you find these pleasing. What makers are we looking at?

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Love those old street scenes. I have been known to pick up a lot of old advertising signs like those. Great to see them in actual use. I love checking out the old cars parked down the street too.

Postcards are a great thing to collect. So many genres, always available, fun to find and usually cheap. 

A lot of the downtowns still look like they did in these views, minus the signs and businesses. The people that are left are on the outskirts of town by the WalM@rt while the former sporting goods store and womenswear shops on Main lie vacant. There are usually a few bars that seem to weather the storm however.  (shrug)