• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Awesome! How much did that bad boy set you back?!

The box came with the first Big Mac that I ate at the first McDonald's in the San Francisco bay area in the seventies.  Soon afterwards, Big Macs came in Styrofoam boxes.  I kept one Styrofoam box, but it got crushed. :sick: I thought the original red box was really cool, so I carefully removed and ate the Big Mac and kept the box. 

1 minute ago, BitterOldMan said:

The box came with the first Big Mac that I ate at the first McDonald's in the San Francisco bay area in the seventies.  Soon afterwards, Big Macs came in Styrofoam boxes.  I kept one Styrofoam box, but it got crushed. :sick: I thought the original red box was really cool, so I carefully removed and ate the Big Mac and kept the box. 

Funny how the box meant something to you, enough to keep it anyhow. I felt the same way about the McPizza box and I also kept the box from the East coast of Canada where I 'enjoyed' a McLobster sandwich.  

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

Funny how the box meant something to you, enough to keep it anyhow. I felt the same way about the McPizza box and I also kept the box from the East coast of Canada where I 'enjoyed' a McLobster sandwich.  

You guys ever watch that show hoarders?

:baiting:

Besides sports cards I got some minor card collections going on. Working on things I like such as the old Wacky Packs or TV series like Outer Limits. Pick them up as I see something I like. 

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.86c967dfc4f332e9b5df9e3e678b0b1e.JPGIMG_1367.thumb.JPG.e48f96ddf072a6ed790a926377358804.JPGIMG_1366.thumb.JPG.f729e16ad182b843514bb9bf01b71ed5.JPG

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Speaking of food packages that people never threw out, I also collect these:

cboxsuperman.jpg

Totally killer stuff, RM! I like them all, but this is a stand-out! Is this the rarest of the bunch? I would totally collect these, IF I ever found any! Where do you draw the line? 1970's?

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Totally killer stuff, RM! I like them all, but this is a stand-out! Is this the rarest of the bunch? I would totally collect these, IF I ever found any! Where do you draw the line? 1970's?

Probably the rarest of the ones I've shown. Always, gets the most attention. The Space Patrol ones are also pretty rare.  I generally draw the line at around 1966. I really like the ones from the fifties the most and collect them mostly for the premium offers since I am a premium collector. They are pretty hard to find. I have more that I haven't taken photos of. I haven't added a new one for a few years. 

On 8/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, N e r V said:

Besides sports cards I got some minor card collections going on. Working on things I like such as the old Wacky Packs or TV series like Outer Limits. Pick them up as I see something I like. 

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.86c967dfc4f332e9b5df9e3e678b0b1e.JPGIMG_1367.thumb.JPG.e48f96ddf072a6ed790a926377358804.JPGIMG_1366.thumb.JPG.f729e16ad182b843514bb9bf01b71ed5.JPG

I collect the Wacky Package die-cuts and the 1st and 2nd series white backs.

Ken

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

I fondly remember collecting the Marvel Superhero cards in 1966 and I never could find the Thor leg card to complete the puzzle in the back. Kept buying pack after pack but that card never showed up. Did anybody else collect these and found that card to be rare? Alas, when my parents took me on vacation to Lake Placid, forgot I left my cards in a shoe box under the bed of the hotel room. We were halfway home before I remembered it. We called and they said they were gone. Got 'em back years later though. Here's the puzzle.

zztrading card marvel 1966 h.jpg

10 hours ago, Ameri said:

I fondly remember collecting the Marvel Superhero cards in 1966 and I never could find the Thor leg card to complete the puzzle in the back. Kept buying pack after pack but that card never showed up. Did anybody else collect these and found that card to be rare? Alas, when my parents took me on vacation to Lake Placid, forgot I left my cards in a shoe box under the bed of the hotel room. We were halfway home before I remembered it. We called and they said they were gone. Got 'em back years later though. Here's the puzzle.

zztrading card marvel 1966 h.jpg

I was missing one card, but I don't remember which.  Fortunately, my late older brother knew some kid, whose father owned a grocery store and had tons of extras.  I still have my original set.  

Love how you framed the wrappers as if they were still filled with cards.  

How tough was it to find the 1967 Leaf Star Trek wrapper, which was a super rare regional issue and withdrawn quickly for licensing reasons.  

In 1967, Leaf boldly went where no other card manufacturer had gone before.

That year, the Chicago-based gum company unveiled the first set devoted to the Star Trek TV series, an offering whose history has become so mysterious and scandalous that even the brainy Enterprise crew would have trouble explaining it.

"What's kind of neat about the 1967 Leaf Star Trek set is that there are a lot of mysteries surrounding it, and I don't know that we're ever going to have them answered," said non-sports card expert, Kurt Kuersteiner, who's the owner of www.monsterwax.com and www.monstercards.org.

Attempted Mutiny Back through timeNo time for escapeMurasaki Mischief

Chief among this black-and-white, 72-card set's perplexities was how it was distributed and why it was withdrawn from store shelves so quickly.

There are several theories as to why these cards were only available for a short period. The most recurring explanation is that they were manufactured without obtaining the proper licensing, and Leaf was subsequently forced to halt production and recall boxes.

"But what company in their right mind is going to produce a series thinking that they had the licensing and then wait to get the licensing until after they have printed the cards?" questioned Kuersteiner. "That's not going to happen because that gives the company with the license all the power."

Kuersteiner believes the cards were more likely yanked from store shelves because of a dispute with the show's cast and/or writers.

"It's possible that the cast members may have said, 'Well, Desilu [the TV production company behind Star Trek] may have given you permission to use the images, but I didn't give you permission to use me in the card set,'" he offered.

Beside himself
Prisoner of the mind

Perhaps even more plausible is that the writers could've objected to their storylines being used on the backs of the cards, contends Kuersteiner. While some storylines on the card backs stray wildly from the TV plots, some are very similar. For example, Kuersteiner notes that the description on the back of card #3 "A Grup Appears" is nearly identical to the plot for the TV episode entitled "Miri" and that the back of card #5 "Murasaki Mischief" describes the plot of an episode called "The Galileo 7."

"The writers could've griped about their stories being used [without permission] because Star Trek used a lot of other writers, including some science fiction writers who adapted their stories to the series," said Kuersteiner. "The writers could make the complaint that they didn't get their cut."

The savvy hobby authority adds that it's also possible that Leaf secured rights to use some of the writers' stories but not others. That would explain why some descriptions are similar to the TV plots, while others are laughably different.

Another explanation that's sometimes offered for the scarcity of these cards is that they were test marketed in Illinois and Ohio and didn't sell well, so Leaf simply discontinued production.

"I find that a plausible explanation also," said Kuersteiner. "Remember, Star Trek was basically discontinued in its third season and it never really caught on in a tremendous way until people saw it in reruns."

I think the test market theory gets used a lot but based on the above who knows for sure? Original owner cards have shown up well outside the test market areas too begging the question how the owners got them. Either way the prices on them like a lot of things has gone crazy.

The best part about cards?

First they take up little space and second you don't lose anything by placing them in a slab. The high end market though isn't cheap and some as noted are difficult as H-E-L-L so in that respect they are on par with comics....