• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

During the sneak peek of the third Guardians movie, we find out that Gamora (Zoe Saldana) has joined The Ravagers since the events of Avengers: Endgame.

You might be wondering which Gamora this could be after she died at the hands of Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War. Well, the character came back during the events of Avengers: Endgame due to time travel circumstances and by the end of the film Starlord was looking for her. So, the Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 may very well be the on that time traveled from 2014.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, D84 said:

When people stop going and they lose money.

they are finding a new audience.

Example: I have a friend who has read at most 10 comics in his life and when I had dinner with him the other day Marvel movies came up and he stated how much he enjoyed Thor Love and Thunder. Aghast at how he could enjoy the film I asked him what he liked about it and his answer was "I laughed so much"

He loved the screeching goats, the Van Dam pose, and Thor riding Stormbreaker like a witch on a broom because it was all funny.

This ole' curmudgeon with over 50 years of Thor comic reading just isn't their audience.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Artboy99 said:

Example: I have a friend who has read at most 10 comics in his life and when I had dinner with him the other day Marvel movies came up and he stated how much he enjoyed Thor Love and Thunder. Aghast at how he could enjoy the film I asked him what he liked about it and his answer was "I laughed so much"

He loved the screeching goats, the Van Dam pose, and Thor riding Stormbreaker like a witch on a broom because it was all funny.

This ole' curmudgeon with over 50 years of Thor comic reading just isn't their audience.

But it's not a large audience. Love and Thunder had a Batman v Superman 2nd weekend drop. This was worse than Doctor Strange 2.

We are on the downward spiral. 

On 7/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Artboy99 said:

The reality is that comic book collectors has never been the target audience that marvel has been looking for - they have taken the properties, taken great liberties with the characters/stories it’s only now that people are noticing 

the box results have less to do with the movies as they are no longer part of a great plan (current phase) so they are no longer “must see” 

On 7/24/2022 at 11:04 AM, D84 said:

When people stop going and they lose money.

I actually think that maybe coming for the MCU if things keep going the way they are.  Well, maybe not lose but not nearly as great as a return on such big budget movies.This will generate a greater risk for Disney, quality may go down as a result and the "base" may leave. It's a negative cycle.  I have no proof of this, it's just my hunch.  The companies may not care as long as parents still buy the merchandise for their kids.  That's where the real money is anyways.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, jsilverjanet said:

The reality is that comic book collectors has never been the target audience that marvel has been looking for -

True but the "base" generates the excitement and are more likely to see it more than once in the theater I think?

On 7/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I actually think that maybe coming for the MCU if things keep going the way they are.  Well, maybe not lose but not nearly as great as a return on such big budget movies.This will generate a greater risk for Disney, quality may go down as a result and the "base" may leave. It's a negative cycle.  I have no proof of this, it's just my hunch.  The companies may not care as long as parents still buy the merchandise for their kids.  That's where the real money is anyways.

True but the "base" generates the excitement and are more likely to see it more than once in the theater I think?

The base generated some but I still think it’s a small number - the reason this phase 4 has stunk to the general public is due to it not being part of a bigger picture 

the movies that go beyond that big # are the movies that have those other demographics hit - women, different age groups 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I really, really, really hope that Gunn reigned himself in for this one. There are claims that this one is "emotional", and I would really like to connect to some real stakes with very-limited levity.

I thought GotG2 was overall a worse movie than the first but the emotional parts hit WAY harder. 

I completely agree about reigning himself in a bit.  The Rocket and Drax joke machine was exhausting.   

On 1/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bosco685 said:

477669146_Screenshot_20220111-0645492.thumb.png.5ac2190a2224c3b2bf0169f090536014.png

Utilising the same foot-based aerodynamic effect exploited by Namor's foot wings, but using rockets instead of miniature wings.

It's entirely plausible. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/25/2022 at 9:13 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Utilising the same foot-based aerodynamic effect exploited by Namor's foot wings, but using rockets instead of miniature wings.

It's entirely plausible. 

Anything is possible when you lie. Fiction is just a compelling story of lies.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Anything is possible when you lie. Fiction is just a compelling story of lies.

Multiverse fixes all. Including -script writer limited story clarity!

:banana:

On 7/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

The Multiverse fixes all!

Yup. Everything lives, everything dies. 

Every Crisis has a solution.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/26/2022 at 5:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Multiverse fixes all!

This is one of the things I can't stand about using "time travel" as a plot device - literally anything can happen as in the Multiverse (apparently).  Fiction may be just pretty-sounding lies, but these concepts strip away even the thin patina of reality that allows enjoyment through a suspension of disbelief.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:27 AM, MattTheDuck said:

This is one of the things I can't stand about using "time travel" as a plot device - literally anything can happen as in the Multiverse (apparently).  Fiction may be just pretty-sounding lies, but these concepts strip away even the thin patina of reality that allows enjoyment through a suspension of disbelief.

It very much depends on execution, for me. While I enjoy the experience of watching Endgame, time-travel suits are super-dumb. However, I'm a fan of The Flash traveling back in time (depending on the outcome). I don't like Flash or Chavez being able to simply pick a universe to travel to, though.