• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

I just watched it this weekend.   6.5 out of 10.   So many of the characters were massively unlikable.   Even Drax's stupefying utterances fell into the background next to some of the other characterisations put in play for vol 3.   

I felt it had more in common with the Christmas Special than any of the earlier Guardians movies.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:38 AM, Microchip said:

I just watched it this weekend.   6.5 out of 10.   So many of the characters were massively unlikable.   Even Drax's stupefying utterances fell into the background next to some of the other characterisations put in play for vol 3.   

I felt it had more in common with the Christmas Special than any of the earlier Guardians movies.

Ouch, and I was looking forward to it, with Rocket and his animal compadres. Guess I'll wait until Disney has it.

Saw this last night. A good movie. So much foundation that was built up on leading to this experience.

But the luster of the early days with individual character angst leading to frictional interactions and shouting while legacy big hit soundtracks play is now a crutch in place of a stronger story. All the screaming at one another and at times oddly inserted songs just felt - well - old.

But I really liked the Rocket backstory finally coming together, the emotional events associated with this, and the cold decisioning of the High Evolutionary. These elements really made this stay together.

Mantis really has developed into a much more interesting character too. Wonder what they will do with this portion of the MCU with Gunn departing the team?

Saw it last night.  It was "ok".  Definitely not the "best" Marvel movie.   Some observations:

* Was not thrilled with the portrayal of Warlock.  He's essentially more dumb comedy relief in the exact same vein as Drax.  Just not as funny...

* The "experiment scenes" with Rocket were jarring.  Like really tough to watch...

* High Evolutionary was a great baddie.  Really enjoyed the character.  Thanos-Level interesting.  Really makes Kang look pretty pedestrian.

* Gamora seems to be a different character now.  I don't like this one.

* What's happened with the CGI for Groot?  He looks very different.  Not as fluid and cool.  

* Nebula, Rocket and Mantis character seemed to evolve in a good way.  Everybody else...  Not so much.  Quill's whiney.  Drax and Warlock are dumb and dumber.  Gamora has no depth whatsoever.  Groot isn't as visually interesting and isn't really relevant, other than to hide stuff or fight.

I think it was a 6 out of 10 for me.

We just watched it since we wanted a stay at home night and I’d also have to give it an ok (similar to the holiday special).  I liked the Rocket backstory but it just didn’t flow well and felt like it was trying really hard and missing quite a bit.  Very few laugh out loud moments and everyone just felt flat.  I’ll give it a 6.5 out of 10 since it had its entertaining moments.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, drotto said:

Interesting to see the Guardians 1 budget has been adjusted, makes me wonder how much more 2 and 3 are as opposed to what has been reported.

You may have missed the articles I shared on this which then someone tried to counter with a 2015 article in place of later 2018 UK production budget details. Crazy conversation.

But it turned out even with the UK tax breaks off a $270M (+) production that took it down to $232.3M in the end. Which then during an investor call the Disney CEO shared this information.

Finally got around to watching this now that it's streaming and...it was meh. I think I was honestly bored during a few stretches of it, regardless of how much yelling was going on. Nothing really felt compelling, especially once it became clear every moment was going to try for easy emotional hook by making it feel like someone was about to die (but never sticking to it - I honesty would have been interested to have Drax or Rocket die, even more so if Star Lord bit it), and what moments did start to resonate were often quickly cut short by a quick quip.  

On the plus side it sounded much better than it looked, though the soundtrack was the weakest of the trilogy (at points feeling a little forced just to get a 'classic' song into a scene). Third act was better than most of the other recent MCU offerings, which is something I have low expectations for now so that was a nice surprise (though I hated the inclusion of the evil-large-cgi-swarm-army at the end that came out of nowhere, offered zero real challenge, and looked cheap. The movie didn't need that 'spectacle' in order to highten the final act tension)

Cosmo was the absolute star of the show and stole every scene, with the opposite being said for the waste of a role that was Adam - who really had nothing to offer the plot and served to just repeat jokes we've seen done before. 

6/10 (with one full point being from JUST Cosmo scenes alone)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/8/2023 at 7:07 AM, bentbryan said:

Watched it this w/e on D+. I thought it was a much better movie then Guardians 2 and a decent cap for the trilogy. But man some parts were rough

Agreed. It was good. But more of the same what has been experienced previously. So at this point then it can feel like a repeat.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

Agreed. It was good. But more of the same what has been experienced previously. So at this point then it can feel like a repeat.

One thing I noticed upon a rewatch is that this entire wing of the MCU benefitted from a single director, that had a vision, and was given a clean slate to work with (to a point).

As an overall series of movies considered as a whole, it is rather strong for the MCU.

That's my takeaway at least. 

Finally saw the movie this week.  I would have watched it MUCH sooner had I realized that High Evolutionary was the big bad, but I assumed it would be Warlock without realizing that it was the High Evolutionary who genetically engineered his species to begin with.

I liked it a LOT.  I found volume 2 a bit boring, and there was a 2-year gap between when I watched the first half on Blu-Ray and finally finished it on Disney Plus.  The High Evolutionary and Rocket storyline compelled me to finish it quickly this time though.  Definitely the second-best film of phase 4 and 5 behind No Way Home, so now I wish I had seen it in theatres.

I had originally wondered if High Evolutionary would be the trigger for the X-Men entering the MCU in the same way he was involved in Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's comic origin by evolving their DNA, and further that the X-Men would already have a latent X-Gene implanted into humanity hundreds of thousands of years ago by the Celestials as Kirby outlined in his Eternals storyline, but this film showing how focused Wyndham is on Counter-Earth and the Sovereign I'm now thinking he won't be involved.  I still really enjoyed him as the focus of this film.

Two questions about plot points:

• At some point Mantis gets her arm horribly disfigured, but soon after she just jams it back into place.  How is her species able to do that?  I get how Nebula does it as a cyborg, but how did Mantis do it?
  • Why was High Evolutionary implanting cybernetic limbs into organisms?  Did he do that in the comics?  If he did it in the comics I never saw those stories.  I thought his goal was biological perfection via DNA manipulation, so the cybernetics confused me.

Saw this like week ago. Really good like all the Gotg films. I kinda understand why some people did not like it. Much of the film don't feel at all like a Marvel film. Only kinda the ending. I did not hate Adam Warlock character because it was just not the Adam Warlock I knew from the Infinity Gauntlet story. I hope they will make another Gotg film with the new Gotg team and maybe Star-Lord will join them.

After gorging myself on college football most of the day, I rented GoTG3 last night.

It was a decent Saturday night flick along with a few beers - pretty easy to follow with the usually good soundtrack for this series. Felt a little long at times and a bit of some forced scenes, but all in all, an okay movie.

5/10

-bc