• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 5

272 posts in this topic

The following guessed 7.0 and receive 0 Points

1 SterlingComics

2 Uclapeterg

3 Jimm94

Boys what's going on here? poke2.gif

I hear ya - a 7.0 from three notorious UNDERgraders! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gifcrazy.gif

Since when am I a notorious UNDERgrader? I thought I was just a plain old lousy grader. confused-smiley-013.gif I didn't realize I was known for being consistently wrong in a particular direction of the scale.

Thump your chest while you still can, oh great monarch of agricultural containers. tongue.gifpoke2.gif

27_laughing.gif best. post. ever. flowerred.gif

Being a big mid grade buyer I was hoping to do well in this round. I started with my preliminary grade of 6.5 and worked down. I kept going back and forth 5.5 and 5.0 because of the golden age curve. Once I had that range I looked at every 5.5 to 5.0 on Comiclink and other places and it almost made me go lower. No 5.0 looks like any other 5.0. Some look like they should have been a 7.0 others don't look better than a 3.5, on the otherhand, most 9.6s look very similar.

Jus finally gave up and settled on the 5.0. What luck!

I compared the scans to the Batman 49 at CGC 4.5 and 5.0 in the Heritage archives devil.gif - totally different books, I thought the Heritage 5.0 was nicer than this book so I gave it the 4.5 confused-smiley-013.gif

I started the book off as a 10 and as I looked at the scan for about two minutes I started deducting for flaws and came to 4.5.

So AlexH and I both have five dueces after five rounds.

I wonder which one of us will blink first? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I compared the scans to the Batman 49 at CGC 4.5 and 5.0 in the Heritage archives devil.gif - totally different books, I thought the Heritage 5.0 was nicer than this book so I gave it the 4.5 confused-smiley-013.gif

I started the book off as a 10 and as I looked at the scan for about two minutes I started deducting for flaws and came to 4.5.

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

So AlexH and I both have five dueces after five rounds.

I wonder which one of us will blink first? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good thing there aren't any playoffs in this format! grin.gif You guys' would still be on Round #1 insane.gif

my computer flaked out on me and i had to get plitch to submit my grade to Nikos.

i take exception to darth's comment on the Heritage 5.0 (that's the reason, i'm in this mess). no matter how i phrase this it will sound like sour grapes, so here goes;

that book (Heritage Bats 49 in 5.0) had a chunk outta the right edge as big as a half dime and TWO (not 1, but 2) half inch ragged tears on the front cover, along with assorted lesser defects. how can a book with THREE MAJOR defects (plus other spine nicks, BC creases and minor soiling) grade out the same as this book?!?!?! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

how can a book with THREE MAJOR defects (plus other spine nicks, BC creases and minor soiling) grade out the same as this book?!?!?! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Magic?

One was graded before lunch and one after?

The were graded by differant people?

confused-smiley-013.gif

my computer flaked out on me and i had to get plitch to submit my grade to Nikos.

i take exception to darth's comment on the Heritage 5.0 (that's the reason, i'm in this mess). no matter how i phrase this it will sound like sour grapes, so here goes;

that book (Heritage Bats 49 in 5.0) had a chunk outta the right edge as big as a half dime and TWO (not 1, but 2) half inch ragged tears on the front cover, along with assorted lesser defects. how can a book with THREE MAJOR defects (plus other spine nicks, BC creases and minor soiling) grade out the same as this book?!?!?! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

BB - Sure sounds like sour grapes to me - You graded this a 6.5?!? 893whatthe.gif take your horse-whippin' 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

that book (Heritage Bats 49 in 5.0) had a chunk outta the right edge as big as a half dime...

I took the supersize scan into account to offset the severity of the 3 perceived major defects you posted. The back cover of this Nikos book was what made me think that it was a 4.5... the front does look nice enough to put it in the higher grade range

Mr Consistent strikes again 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I miss a round just mail in my 2 points! thumbsup2.gif

I hear you. Every other round I have been under by 1/2 a grade. So this time, my first impression was a 4.5. Then I decided that I must be under a bit, so I went with 5.5. foreheadslap.gif

The following guessed 6.5 and receive 0 Points

1 NorrinRadd

2 DrBanner

3 Bobpfef

4 Hobgoblin

5 Burntboy

6 Eric123

7 BassGman

8 Valiantman

9 Aman619

All I can say is that I'm in good company. grin.gif

Wow. I'm quite suprised it graded so low. I said 5.0, but I was a bit skeptical that I would be correct. If I were to give it my actual grade I'd give it a 5.0. After having said my grade I thought certain that with CGC's leniency towards GA books would have probably brought it to a 6.0.