• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 5

272 posts in this topic

Yup, you and a few others, the PMs I get are X.X 893applaud-thumb.gif

So... he's only guessing 9.9 or 5.5? confused-smiley-013.gif

Whatever he is guessing works because last time I checked the scorecard I see his 14 points to your 11 poke2.gif

Whatever he is guessing works because last time I checked the scorecard I see his 14 points to your 11 poke2.gif

yeahok.gif

He was holding out during the team competition... not a team player poke2.gif

I can't remember. I've been too busy trying to find which contest you won. confused-smiley-013.gif

A pox on you! foreheadslap.gif

Can I take penicillin to clear that up? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeahok.gif

He was holding out during the team competition... not a team player poke2.gif

We made the most impressive comeback in that game. We went from something like 14th place to 4th place by the end, once you guys started listening to me. grin.gifpoke2.gif

lets do it! it seems to take forever for all the grades to come in. What kind of CGC Forum fanatics arent checking in here a dozen times a day like the rest of us poor lost souls? To them I say "Wake up, and give up your normal life and waste hours upon hours here too!"

Nikos - - heres an idea - - just post ALL the Rounds this weekend and blast it out! The way we usually do it is nice with round by round suspense to see who's gaining and dropping off. But seriously, how about next time we make it like a grading exam: 12 or 20 books all at once? BAM!

We are truly a society of convenience, always needing the immediate gratification... 893censored-thumb.gif yeah!

Down to 21 players left, we will start picking up the pace in the contest next week starting with Round 7.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday we will begin a new round

If anyone has a problem with this speak now or forever hold your peace smile.gif

Bounce Sweet

IMO on asking questions is if there are holder problems or scanner problems point them out then we won't have to ask any questions. After all we're trying to grade the book not the holder. Duh

Now as far as graders notes go I say NO. Biggest reason some people will get more out of them as they've at least seen them before and know what's going on with them. why should we see a professionals notes the goal is to use our prowess and deductive reasoning to sharpen our skills. What am I going to learn following his notes? Toungue Out

Down to 21 players left, we will start picking up the pace in the contest next week starting with Round 7.

If anyone has a problem with this speak now or forever hold your peace smile.gif

Now as far as graders notes go I say NO. Biggest reason some people will get more out of them as they've at least seen them before and know what's going on with them. why should we see a professionals notes the goal is to use our prowess and deductive reasoning to sharpen our skills. What am I going to learn following his notes?

Gee, I don't know, maybe like the fact that there's an otherwise invisible stain on a book that looks like it is much higher grade? Or non-color-breaking finger and thumb dents that don't show up in a scan? Or an internal defect like tears on interior pages that you won't see in a scan?

Hell, why even give us scans at all? We could do eight rounds a day this way. Just tell us what book it is and we'll just submit guesses. Closest guess each round wins a free pizza, limit of three per contestant per week. screwy.gif

Now as far as graders notes go I say NO. Biggest reason some people will get more out of them as they've at least seen them before and know what's going on with them. why should we see a professionals notes the goal is to use our prowess and deductive reasoning to sharpen our skills. What am I going to learn following his notes?

Gee, I don't know, maybe like the fact that there's an otherwise invisible stain on a book that looks like it is much higher grade? Or non-color-breaking finger and thumb dents that don't show up in a scan? Or an internal defect like tears on interior pages that you won't see in a scan?

Hell, why even give us scans at all? We could do eight rounds a day this way. Just tell us what book it is and we'll just submit guesses. Closest guess each round wins a free pizza, limit of three per contestant per week. screwy.gif

Sounds like ma cup of tea! Free pizza! Yum...

God this blows.

Flying Donut disappears from the face of the earth, but Sir Diarrhea of the Mouth keeps motoring along like anyone gives a [#@$%!!!] what he thinks. 27_laughing.gif

I am sure FD is around.... shy.gif

He just has the willpower to not post.

And as far as grader notes are concerned.. I agree.. give us all the info we can get. In the end we still gotta decide how CGC graded the darn book. No matter if we know every flaw in the book or not.

Some flaws CGC sees/downgrades differently then we each might as individuals.

I thought this entire thing was an exercise in trying to determine how CGC graded a book.. not what we might grade a book.

So give up the notes..let us determine exactly how CGC downgraded for them.

On the flip side.. I also remember Nikos saying way back when his intent was to not point out every flaw for everyone to see right off the bat by posting the notes..

But for those with a keen eye ask the proper questions.

And he would also offer any grader note info , if it was not visible in the scan.

And 2 or 3 day rounds... meh... up to Nik.... just more work for him.

I hate waiting too, but the long time between rounds is like waiting for X-mas... a GOOD wait.

What did I get?.. did I guess right?... I went back and stared at the scan 15 times since my grade guess.. and I think I messed up... WTF is it.. I gotsa know now.

Life goes by fast enough already.. I can wait the 3 days.

If it is 2.. that is fine too.

I for one dont want the contest to be over too soon....enjoying the ride applies here.

Since my board time has been cut down, this contest is a blast for me.

Ze-

The 3 a week sounds fine except that I'm going away Friday and coming back late Wednesday. If I can't borrow a laptop from work is it possible to get these books a little sooner? Just wondering.

Hell, why even give us scans at all? We could do eight rounds a day this way. Just tell us what book it is and we'll just submit guesses. Closest guess each round wins a free pizza, limit of three per contestant per week.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Gee maybe you missed some points I made in my post. First off I mentioned IMO, then there was that allusion to at least seeing graders notes. Kinda makes you wonder where I became so ignorant, maybe it was from reading graders notes all through the night. How would I even know what was on the graders notes as I (again) haven’t ever seen any. I’ve been hanging around the boards for information as I want to better myself in the comic field. But if you want to pummel all the newbie’s with inane sarcasm when they come along what’s that say for you? I really didn’t care for the way the board jack hammered the “King Of Rulers” Maybe he came off a little to strong for not being in the clique. I still don’t believe that ALL of the graders notes should be revealed. Seeing how you so eloquently supplanted the benefits of graders notes e.g. “ invisible stain, non-color-breaking finger and thumb dents, internal defect like tears on interior pages that you won't see in a scan ” I would certainly agree at Nickos discretion to offer up those kinds of notes. But the obvious defects that can be seen definitely not.

Then again maybe I haven't been around long enough to develop my own opinion.

Since my board time has been cut down, this contest is a blast for me.

Ze-

Are you serious?! I thought you gave that up like a New Year's resolution! Is this really you posting less? foreheadslap.gif

poke2.gif

Is this really you posting less? foreheadslap.gif

poke2.gif

But of course Woogs!!!...for me an average of 5 posts a day IS less! yay.gif

Seriously tho, it has taken a Herculean effort this past month to not turn on the PC as much.

A delight to many here I am sure, and a boon to my business as well.

( As Peter Griffin might say.."More worky, more money........ more money, more comics...eeheheheheheheh")

Ze-