• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

So is the all star 8 a million dollar comic? 

I was wondering that myself. If this were an Action 1 or Tec 27. 3+ million would be guaranteed. So I don't see why a 9.4 highest graded AS 8 couldn't fetch 1 mil.

WOW, Jon Berk, now this? 2017 will go down as one for the ages for golden age comic book collectors! :headbang:

As mentioned earlier i am of the mind all three will end up in the 'Impossible Collection'. And what additions they will make....

1 hour ago, sagii said:

WOW, Jon Berk, now this? 2017 will go down as one for the ages for golden age comic book collectors! :headbang:

As mentioned earlier i am of the mind all three will end up in the 'Impossible Collection'. And what additions they will make....

Hariri didn't want the WW 1 when it was up for sale recently, so I don't know why he'd want it now.  He also has a 9.4 Sensation 1, so I don't think he needs this one.   He's a Superman guy first, Batman second, and Wonder Woman wasn't even on his radar until he visited the set when the movie was being filmed.  These books should show what the non-Hariri market really is.  I'm thinking the AS 8 might hit the $600K range, the others more in the $300K range.  The WW1 did not hit $300K 9 months ago, and this flip will have one less bidder.

34 minutes ago, BorderlineHoarder said:

Would the Mile High All Star 8 grade out higher?

My guess is Dave Anderson owns it since I've never seen anyone discuss the thing.  It sold for a $70K in 1995, but the grade has not been reported that I know of.

3 minutes ago, SC22 said:

My guess is 1.5$ million to 2$ million dollars for the AS8 CGC 9.4.

You think the first or second AS 8, at best, is worth the same as the second or third Action 1?  Seems like a very aggressive price for a later GA book.

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Hariri didn't want the WW 1 when it was up for sale recently, so I don't know why he'd want it now.  He also has a 9.4 Sensation 1, so I don't think he needs this one.   He's a Superman guy first, Batman second, and Wonder Woman wasn't even on his radar until he visited the set when the movie was being filmed.  These books should show what the non-Hariri market really is.  I'm thinking the AS 8 might hit the $600K range, the others more in the $300K range.  The WW1 did not hit $300K 9 months ago, and this flip will have one less bidder.

Good points, but I'm kinda thinking

250 WW1

500 sensation 1

1m range AS8

I see there being a big gap between the sensation and the WW, and I'm also less bearish on the AS8.    Its still a 9.4 blue big key... 

11 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You think the first or second AS 8, at best, is worth the same as the second or third Action 1?  Seems like a very aggressive price for a later GA book.

I think it's very rare in this grade and Wonder Women now has a movie and she will be in the Justice League movies so that can make a big difference. I have seen it with books in the SA that have a hero that is no where near in the level of historic importance as she is reach extreme prices. For example FF52 (1st Black Panther) in CGC 9.8 that sold for over 90 000$ (just because he appeared in the movies himself) to me that makes no sens but 1.5$ million to 2$ million for a book from the 1940's is such a high grade that makes a lot more sens.

Edited by SC22

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Good points, but I'm kinda thinking

250 WW1

500 sensation 1

1m range AS8

I see there being a big gap between the sensation and the WW, and I'm also less bearish on the AS8.    Its still a 9.4 blue big key... 

Many on this site can make better guesses than me.  My thinking is:

The WW 1 didn't hit $300K with an additional winning bidder (Darren Adams) who isn't bidding here.  So you could be right about $250K.

Metro appears to be buying these big money books only when they've got a buyer in hand (like Hariri) and Hariri has a 9.4 Sensation 1.  $500K seems very aggressive for Sensation 1 when WW 1 doesn't top out above $300K.

Maybe Hariri needs an AS 8 or maybe not.  But, I don't think you'll see many of the dealer types (Gator, etc.) going $1 million on a book without a buyer because no GA DC comic that's not an Action 1 or D27 has ever gone for more than $450K (Flash 1).  So I'm thinking the comfort level tops out at $600k.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Many on this site can make better guesses than me.  My thinking is:

The WW 1 didn't hit $300K with an additional winning bidder (Darren Adams) who isn't bidding here.  So you could be right about $250K.

Metro appears to be buying these big money books only when they've got a buyer in hand (like Hariri) and Hariri has a 9.4 Sensation 1.  $500K seems very aggressive for Sensation 1 when WW 1 doesn't top out above $300K.

Maybe Hariri needs an AS 8 or maybe not.  But, I don't think you'll see many of the dealer types (Gator, etc.) going $1 million on a book without a buyer because no GA DC comic that's not an Action 1 or D27 has ever gone for more than $450K (Flash 1).  So I'm thinking the comfort level tops out at $600k.

With the billionaire almost certainly bidding it can go very high.

Edited by SC22

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Did not know that about the WW#1 (but with the movie now confirmed a smash, maybe he'll change his mind (shrug) ). And i thought since he had two Action #1's why not two Sensations? But with your clarification on where WW stands in his DC favorites, i guess that won't be the case. 

Onto whether the book will break the 1 Mill mark: I'm more with you that it will be under since there were a few copies sold just this year alone from Big 3, so i think the book will level off a bit, until maybe Justice League (if a hit) and then the WW sequel pushing it further then. 

Action 1 and Detective #27 did not hit the 1 Mill mark until years after many Superman and Batman Movies (and TV/Animated series in those movies wake). Wonder Woman is 'just beginning' her climb in that sense imho.

Just now, SC22 said:

With the billionaire almost certainly bidding he can go very high.

I'm not understanding why you say Hariri is "almost certainly bidding."  He pass on the WW 1 nine months ago.  He already has a 9.4 Sensation 1.  I don't know if he has or wants an AS 8, but I do know that Wonder Woman does NOT hold the same allure to him that Superman does (and Batman to a lesser extent). 

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm not understanding why you say Hariri is "almost certainly bidding."  He pass on the WW 1 nine months ago.  He already has a 9.4 Sensation 1.  I don't know if he has or wants an AS 8, but I do know that Wonder Woman does NOT hold the same allure to him that Superman does (and Batman to a lesser extent). 

Because he tends to want to own these type of very high graded books. Just may want to own it and maybe he is ready to pay to do so.

1 minute ago, sagii said:

And i thought since he had two Action #1's why not two Sensations?

My guess on that one is he wants the best available copy of Action 1.  That copy was the Cage when bought it.  When the Darren Adams copy came out, and looked better to a number of eyes, he decided he need to buy that.  Action 1 means a lot to him because his father was assassinated and he grew up with an editorial cartoon of his father in Superman costume doing good deeds for his country on his wall.  He does not appear to be a hoarder or an investor.