• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

Right now AS 8 is at $125k, Sensation 1 at $53K, and WW 1 at $65K.  I wonder if that's an early indication of the spread and interest?  Probably not as I would be surprised for the WW 1, even though it is super cool and has the great extras, to top the Sensation 1.

On the other hand, is it the top WW 1?  The MH has disappeared right?  There are two 9.0 and this one is white with the extras.

Edited by sfcityduck

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I'm guessing 420k on ww 1, 700k on the sensation 1, and 1.3 mil on as 8.

If the WW 1 goes from selling for $291K on ComicConnect in December to selling for $420K on eBay less than a year later, that's a stunning endorsement for eBay and huge black mark for ComicConnect as auction platforms.

7 minutes ago, szavisca said:

This is the same exact copy that just sold for 290k right?  I think the guys selling stuff like this have a good idea that it'd be likely go a lot higher than it did previously before they even offer it up.

I think Adams' strategy was to create a huge publicity splash by offering up "the trifecta" of WW comic books.   I don't think, that he's gotten as much mainstream interest in this sell as for the Action 1, though.   I guess he must have already had the AS 8 and Sensation 1 when he bought the WW 1 and he views the risk of taking a loss on the WW 1 as a reasonable marketing expense.  I wonder if he should have offered them up as a lot?  But, selling in sequence (1 hour intervals between auction endings) will prove very wise if the AS 8 garners a huge price (and maybe he knows Hariri wants the AS 8) as it might inflate the Sensation 1 and WW 1 also.  Really going to be fascinating to watch.

Edited by sfcityduck

32 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Right now AS 8 is at $125k, Sensation 1 at $53K, and WW 1 at $65K.  I wonder if that's an early indication of the spread and interest?  Probably not as I would be surprised for the WW 1, even though it is super cool and has the great extras, to top the Sensation 1.

On the other hand, is it the top WW 1?  The MH has disappeared right?  There are two 9.0 and this one is white with the extras.

Spread is now $250K, $125K, $100K.

19 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
25 minutes ago, szavisca said:

This is the same exact copy that just sold for 290k right?  I think the guys selling stuff like this have a good idea that it'd be likely go a lot higher than it did previously before they even offer it up.

I think Adams' strategy was to create a huge publicity splash by offering up "the trifecta" of WW comic books.   I don't think, that he's gotten as much mainstream interest in this sell as for the Action 1, though.   I guess he must have already had the AS 8 and Sensation 1 when he bought the WW 1 and he views the risk of taking a loss on the WW 1 as a reasonable marketing expense. 

+1

Exactly my thinking as well, especially since any minor loss on the WW 1 should be more than made up by the gains on the other 2 books, simply from having all 3 of them available to the buying public at the same time.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, SC22 said:

With the billionaire almost certainly bidding it can go very high.

I would say just the opposite. I doubt he is interested in obtaining these copies. Could be wrong , but that opportunity was already passed on once, no reason to think anything has changed ?

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I would say just the opposite. I doubt he is interested in obtaining these copies. Could be wrong , but that opportunity was already passed on once, no reason to think anything has changed ?

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I got to place a bid when it was in the 26k range, now at 400K it is saying you must be pre approved. Guess I will avoid going through the pre approval now.

My guesses are that Harris will pay whatever it takes for the AllStar 8. If that's over a million I wouldn't be surprised.  In just the past year, Wonder Woman's position as a top rank movie superhero has been solidified. If I were buying the keys, and this were 15 years ago when 100k would have set a world record, I'd be a bidder.  But in today's market, where it can take a million bucks for a piece like this in this grade. I'm happy To sit back and let this sale increase the value of my copy.

if he passed on the One of the other two books, he will most probably pass again.  The AS8 is the one to have anyway.

The provenance of the AS 8 is stated as coming from a new 400 book OO collection described as follows:

• 1941 – 1945
  • Magazine Distributor --- Store Owner --- Attic
  • Same Location --- 70 plus years later
  • A very rare original owner collection that has yielded the finest known copies of Wonder Woman’s first two appearances. Other comics from this collection have also been graded as highest known copies.

My question:  What other comics have popped up recently from this collection as "highest known copies"?

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

Why wouldn't this have qualified for a pedigree from cgc? 

1941-1945 and mainly DC doesn't get you enough "key" books probably.   Too late for all Superman and Batman keys.  Too late for AS 3 and the JSA character appearances (GL, Sandman, Flash, Hackman, etc.).  

Best case, it means Adams might have a really nice All-Flash 1, Star Spangled 1, MF 73, and GL 1 (but those all pre-date AS 8).  Of course, since he didn't have a WW 1 (or it wasn't nice enough), we know its not comprehensive or all high grade from AS 8 forward.  Possible "keys" after AS 8 would include Leading 1, Comic Calvacade 1, Boy Commandos 1, and MF 101.  Not a lot.

Edited by sfcityduck

43 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Why wouldn't this have qualified for a pedigree from cgc? 

1941-1945 and mainly DC doesn't get you enough "key" books probably.   Too late for all Superman and Batman keys.  Too late for AS 3 and the JSA character appearances (GL, Sandman, Flash, Hackman, etc.).  

Best case, it means Adams might have a really nice All-Flash 1, Star Spangled 1, All-Flash 73, and GL 1 (but those all pre-date AS 8).  Of course, since he didn't have a WW 1 (or it wasn't nice enough), we know its not comprehensive or all high grade from AS 8 forward.  Possible "keys" after AS 8 would include Leading 1, Comic Calvacade 1, Boy Commandos 1, and MF 101.  Not a lot.

Exactly my line of thinking also, although he might have a More Fun 73 in there since it came out a month prior to AS 8 and the OO provenance description states they range from 1941.  The only other ones would be not currently in vogue and lesser keys like Adventure 72 & 73.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine