• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

It's important what the winning bidder is willing to bid, but what's almost as important is what the underbidder is willing to bid. 

It's actually just as important because you need the underbidder's top bid in there in order to activate the winning bidder's bid.  (thumbsu

On 8/18/2017 at 10:38 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 8/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, SC22 said:

With the billionaire almost certainly bidding he can go very high.

I'm not understanding why you say Hariri is "almost certainly bidding."  He pass on the WW 1 nine months ago.  He already has a 9.4 Sensation 1.  I don't know if he has or wants an AS 8, but I do know that Wonder Woman does NOT hold the same allure to him that Superman does (and Batman to a lesser extent). 

On 8/18/2017 at 10:41 AM, SC22 said:

Because he tends to want to own these type of very high graded books. Just may want to own it and maybe he is ready to pay to do so.

Since he already has a Sensation 9.4 graded copy in his collection and he already passed on the WW 1 on the last go round, I strongly doubt he would be interested in these 3 books except possibly for the AS 8 only.  of course, the AS 8 would then look rather lonely without the other 2 current highest graded copies, so who really knows.  (shrug)

My thinking is that he is probably pretty well done with the comic books because when these types of collectors usually don't come up with a museum exhibition display unless they they done and content. 

By the way, does anybody know whatever happened to his idea of having this display as a traveling exhibition throughout different cities?  ???

On 8/19/2017 at 0:55 PM, lou_fine said:

My thinking is that he is probably pretty well done with the comic books because when these types of collectors usually don't come up with a museum exhibition display unless they they done and content. 

By the way, does anybody know whatever happened to his idea of having this display as a traveling exhibition throughout different cities?  ???

I've read nothing about it.  I have read that he sold off a 42% interest he had in a family business for $500 million and his family sold a different business for $1 billion plus.  So he must be flush right now. 

On 8/18/2017 at 1:31 PM, SC22 said:

I have seen it with books in the SA that have a hero that is no where near in the level of historic importance as she is reach extreme prices. For example FF52 (1st Black Panther) in CGC 9.8 that sold for over 90 000$ (just because he appeared in the movies himself)

Why is the first Black Superhero not as historically important? No where near as rare I agree, no where near the level of historical importance I disagree.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Maybe Hariri needs an AS 8 or maybe not.  But, I don't think you'll see many of the dealer types (Gator, etc.) going $1 million on a book without a buyer because no GA DC comic that's not an Action 1 or D27 has ever gone for more than $450K (Flash 1).  So I'm thinking the comfort level tops out at $600k.

Not quite true as both Bat #1 and Supe #1 have gone over the $500K mark, but I agree in general it does approach the top of the comfort level. And even if he is comfortable spending that on the AS8, as people are finally pointing out - who is the underbidder pushing it to that level?

9 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Not quite true as both Bat #1 and Supe #1 have gone over the $500K mark, but I agree in general it does approach the top of the comfort level. And even if he is comfortable spending that on the AS8, as people are finally pointing out - who is the underbidder pushing it to that level?

I stand corrected on the Batman 1 9.2 sold for $563K in 2013.  But, when did a Superman 1 sell over $450K?  I agree that one of the top Superman 1 should be expected to sell over $500K given the strong prices for lower graded copies, but has any actually sold that high yet?

19 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
On 8/18/2017 at 10:31 AM, SC22 said:

I have seen it with books in the SA that have a hero that is no where near in the level of historic importance as she is reach extreme prices. For example FF52 (1st Black Panther) in CGC 9.8 that sold for over 90 000$ (just because he appeared in the movies himself)

Why is the first Black Superhero not as historically important? No where near as rare I agree, no where near the level of historical importance I disagree.

Plus nowhere near the household name that Wonder Woman is due in large part to the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV show.

That plus the fact she has been in the comics a lot longer than Black panther and able to have her own standalone books that actually last longer than just a few years.  hm

1 minute ago, Bronty said:
5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

FF52 9.8s have taken a (big) dip since that 90K sale.

It was awfully predictable, too.

Yup. FF52 9.8 was never and should never be a 90K book.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Predictions on the AS 8 so far (high to low):

SC22 $1.5M to $2M

Szavisca $1.3M

Aman $1M+

Bronty $1M range

Sagii $1M

Gotham Kid $750K to $1M

sfcityduck $600K range

Bedrock $400k (to $10M)

Anyone else want to venture a guesstimate?

Edited by sfcityduck

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
35 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Plus nowhere near the household name that Wonder Woman is due in large part to the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV show.

That plus the fact she has been in the comics a lot longer than Black panther and able to have her own standalone books that actually last longer than just a few years

No where near the household name for aging Gen x'ers, because of Lynda Carter, possibly. The "been in comics a lot longer" argument doesn't hold water as Spider-man and Wolverine will attest.

But let's revisit the household name part in another six months.  I'm not arguing money, as I agree the  FF52 high sale was incredibly high - but the first Black superhero is of huge importance historically, and Marvel is doing the big push to make sure that Black Panther will be known worldwide in a very short time.

1 minute ago, Crowzilla said:

But let's revisit the household name part in another six months.  I'm not arguing money, as I agree the  FF52 high sale was incredibly high - but the first Black superhero is of huge importance historically, and Marvel is doing the big push to make sure that Black Panther will be known worldwide in a very short time.

Indeed. The upcoming Black Panther movie will see to that.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Indeed. The upcoming Black Panther movie will see to that.

and while he has a short record so far, director Ryan Coogler seems to be the real deal and can really turn this film into a monster.