• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

$1,111,111

Surprised at how many people view $1 million as a realistic price.  I would have thought that the no WW on the cover would have had more of a dampening effect on perceptions in this CGC cover centric world.  Especially given that there are more AS 8s then Sensation 1s (first cover) on the census (although my guess is that there are more ungraded copies of both of these books out there - both in real numbers and as a percentage - than say an Action 1 or D 27). 

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Surprised at how many people view $1 million as a realistic price.  I would have thought that the no WW on the cover would have had more of a dampening effect on perceptions in this CGC cover centric world.  Especially given that there are more AS 8s then Sensation 1s (first cover) on the census (although my guess is that there are more ungraded copies of both of these books out there - both in real numbers and as a percentage - than say an Action 1 or D 27). 

I agree that AS 8's premium over Sensation 1 seems excessive...

but the market doesn't currently agree ! 

I just don't see AS 8 as truly analogous to an action 1 b/c of the cover issue. What can I say, I'm in "the CGC Generation"...

17 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

A hypothetical Sensation #1 that was the 1st appearance of Wonder Woman would have multiple million dollar copies. I still think this book could crack seven figures, but no Wonder Woman on the cover just makes it weird (and the cover is meh  to boot.)

3 hours ago, rob_react said:

A hypothetical Sensation #1 that was the 1st appearance of Wonder Woman would have multiple million dollar copies. I still think this book could crack seven figures, but no Wonder Woman on the cover just makes it weird (and the cover is meh  to boot.)

Since you are floating a hypothetical, we can only guess.  But, given that only six comic books have reached seven figures, four Action Comics 1, one D27, and one AF 15 (which may not happen today), I'm not seeing the evidence that there is a buyer out there wanting to pay seven figures for Wonder Woman.  Especially given that Hariri is responsible for buying at least two of those $1 million comics (top 2 Action 1s)  and had no real interest in WW until he visited the movie set.  Here's the story:

Hariri himself cameos in Batman vs Superman and shared many of his comics with its cast, to give them added insights into the characters they play. His experience on set is what led him to start collecting Wonder Woman.

“I remember I went to set and I had my books with me to show people. Zack was kind enough to introduce me to Gal Gadot, [who plays Wonder Woman in Batman vs Superman]  when she walked in,” he said.

“She looked at them and then at me and went ‘oh, no Wonder Woman’? I had to make the balance right in the universe, so I called up Steven and asked him to get some Wonder Woman books. We were lucky enough to get Sensation Comics issue one, the first cover with her on it.”

Hariri clearly paid these huge prices because an intensely personal bond with Superman ( he grew up with an editorial coratoon on his wall that portrayed his father as Superman helping the Lebanese people) that is, I think, unusual:

Hariri’s love of Superman is similarly personal, but stems from a more tragic origin.

“My father was the Prime Minister of Lebanon and for me, in my life, was an embodiment of what it means to have great power and use it to do good. He put 30,000 students through college off his own back. To make that decision is phenomenal,” he said.

“I had never owned a Superman book before my father’s passing. But afterwards I wanted to own as many as I could. Not just because I felt he was an aspirational character like him. I acquired the Death of Superman after his death.

“It was a very large car bomb, that caused massive damage to the city. So some of the imagery of the city during the Death of Superman really spoke to me. I looked at them and felt, that’s what I was going through at the time.”

Edited by sfcityduck

41 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Since you are floating a hypothetical, we can only guess.  But, given that only six comic books have reached seven figures, four Action Comics 1, one D27, and one AF 15 (which may not happen today), I'm not seeing the evidence that there is a buyer out there wanting to pay seven figures for Wonder Woman.  Especially given that Hariri is responsible for buying at least two of those $1 million comics (top 2 Action 1s)  and had no real interest in WW until he visited the movie set.  Here's the story:

Hariri clearly paid these huge prices because an intensely personal bond with Superman ( he grew up with an editorial coratoon on his wall that portrayed his father as Superman helping the Lebanese people) that is, I think, unusual:

I'm thinking in a very alternative history sense. If that hypothetical Sensation #1 existed it would have changed the perceptions of the character's 1st appearance from the dawn of the hobby.  It would be a different landscape. I think this actual 1st appearance has a chance to sell for $1,000,000+. In a better package, I'd be more confident of that number because it would have always been more valuable than the actual 1st appearance has been. 

Edited by rob_react
clarity on my speculation

5 hours ago, szavisca said:

I know I'm in the minority on these boards because of all the bashing I see of the cover of AS 8...but I actually like it a lot. 

I agree.  It's my favorite cover of the whole run.

As I correctly predicted Metro would be the buyer of the AC 1 9.0 for around $3M, I predict Metro will also be the buyer of this book. 

I think $900K is about the right price.

Even if it is not Hariri who ultimately ends up with this book, there is another collector who can throw down this kind of coin and collectors WW. He recently bought the Sup 1 5.5.

Fun to watch!

2 hours ago, rob_react said:

I'm thinking in a very alternative history sense. If that hypothetical Sensation #1 existed it would have changed the perceptions of the character's 1st appearance from the dawn of the hobby.  It would be a different landscape. I think this actual 1st appearance has a chance to sell for $1,000,000+. In a better package, I'd be more confident of that number because it would have always been more valuable than the actual 1st appearance has been. 

You may well be right.  But, the reality is that it is the Strange Tales 110 of the GA (with MF 73).