• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

‘Joker’ Atom Tickets Pre-Sales Besting ‘Venom’ & ‘It Chapter Two’; Batman Villain Pic Still Eyeing $80M+ October Record Debut

https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-opening-weekend-box-office-projection-atom-tickets-presales-1202748724/

does Atom have a DC bias? asking for an ant sized friend.

In an August Atom Tickets poll among 1,0000 millennials, (sic)  How many non-millennials does this equate to?

Edited by paperheart

13 hours ago, paperheart said:

‘Joker’ Atom Tickets Pre-Sales Besting ‘Venom’ & ‘It Chapter Two’; Batman Villain Pic Still Eyeing $80M+ October Record Debut

https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-opening-weekend-box-office-projection-atom-tickets-presales-1202748724/

does Atom have a DC bias? asking for an ant sized friend.

In an August Atom Tickets poll among 1,0000 millennials, (sic)  How many non-millennials does this equate to?

Maybe millennials are the only ones who've ever heard of or use "Atom" (shrug)

And I guess this means that the provider most everybody else uses, Fandango, didn't have similar results to report ?  (shrug)(shrug)

But front loading this thing like crazy on Thursday is probably smart, as I am still predicting large Saturday and Sunday drops once word of mouth on what this movie really is (a very slow, over long, depressing "character study", with very little action) gets around.  

Kind of like Ad Astra.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Maybe millennials are the only ones who've ever heard of or use "Atom" (shrug)

And I guess this means that the provider most everybody else uses, Fandango, didn't have similar results to report ?  (shrug)(shrug)

But front loading this thing like crazy on Thursday is probably smart, as I am still predicting large Saturday and Sunday drops once word of mouth on what this movie really is (a very slow, over long, depressing "character study", with very little action) gets around.  

Kind of like Ad Astra.

-J.

certainly conflicting signals, as Joker is trailing John Wick 3 (which did $57MM). 

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

...I am still predicting large Saturday and Sunday drops once word of mouth on what this movie really is (a very slow, over long, depressing "character study", with very little action) gets around...

How/where did you see a pre-screening?

After its bold and triumphant premiere at the Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion winner Joker goes out in most overseas markets tomorrow with previews starting stateside at 4PM on Thursday. All in, Todd Phillips’ R-rated origins take on Batman’s chief villain is set to post a global debut of $155M, which would be the second best for October behind Venom‘s WW record for the month last year ($207.4M).

Headlines over security threats at U.S. theaters, nor the pic’s R-rating have slowed tracking forecasts which is still eyeing a domestic October opening record of $80M+ at 4,300 locations, upsetting Venom‘s $80.25M. That theater count reps a new high for October, besting Venom‘s 4,250 launch last year. Should the Warner Bros./Village Roadshow co-production come in less than $80M, well, then it’s on the hands of non-fanboys and crossover audiences who may find this tough pic about a deranged guy hard to swallow. It’s everything you heard the film would be: the DC universe meets Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Joker, the only wide release of the weekend, will play at all Imax, PLFs, Dine-Ins and motion seat venues.

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just checked in to say that I'm hopefully going to see it as a "pre-screen" next Tuesday......

I'm excited but weary if that makes sense, I'm just looking to enjoy the film, with all the news it is hard to to "go in pre-judged" by all those media outlets I'm avoiding lol 

Today's the DAY :) :wishluck: that I get seated :whee:

I told my dad what I was up to today, he is praying for safety lol I tried to point out the "director's comments about John Wick", but my dad is 80 next year and hey if he wants to pray for my safety :takeit: 

I just hope by telling him that I was going to see The Joker that I didn't wreck his day (: 

26 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Metacritic score continues to erode

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker/critic-reviews

What is even more interesting is check how many of the MIXED and NEGATIVE refer to Joker as inspiring incels. Including Time Magazine.

"He could easily be adopted as the patron saint of incels."

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

What is even more interesting is check how many of the MIXED and NEGATIVE refer to Joker as inspiring incels. Including Time Magazine.

"He could easily be adopted as the patron saint of incels."

You can always count on the media being largely monolithic and unimaginative. Give them a few labels and push them in one direction and off they go.

5 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

You can always count on the media being largely monolithic and unimaginative. Give them a few labels and push them in one direction and off they go.

Bingo!

If you go and check many of those NEUTRAL and NEGATIVE reviews that didn't put thought into why they disliked the film (including fans of the Batman lore and wanting him involved in a Joker film), 'Incel' and the 2012 Aurora shooting are referenced as a key concern. Unfortunately, demonstrating ignorance of history and what leads to someone killing their fellow human beings.

Film review as social/political commentary: Truly the greatest innovation of 21st century.....

This film is all anyone into movies can talk about.How often does that hurt rather than help a film? This film should do well.

I have seen reviews for this movie and speculation about its performance from multiple sources and angles. 

Here is my take, I think that no matter what it is going to strike a nerve with some.  Some will embrace it and some will run from it as it will strike too close to home.  I am curious about this movie because if I am right, it will have one type of review upon release and a revisited review at some point in the future much like the Shawshank Redemption experienced. 

Now I am not comparing it to Shawshank Redemption as far as how good Joker is.  I am simply saying that some movies are reviewed in one light upon release and then reviewed under a different light after the public has thoroughly digested it.