• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I was only kidding. I always reserve judgment until I've seen a film myself.  I tend to like what others hate anyway, so am often pleasantly surprised (I think BvS was brilliant). At first glance, the visuals are horrific. But with the right acting / performance,  it could be powerful.  We'll see. 

I hope you're not talking about the theatrical cut...

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I hope you're not talking about the theatrical cut...

Don't you call me a theatrical cu - :mad:

Oh, wait. Cut. 

Cut. xD

Yes, that one.

I loved it. :sumo:

On 9/23/2018 at 8:37 AM, Oddball said:

I think they have a great actor on board with the wrong director. How does the director of the Hangover Trilogy get this?  Another incredible actor that should have been perfect for the role is Leto.  And he had Ayer directing him. The director of Fury. How did they drop the ball with that awesome combo?  So while I’m always hopeful, you just never know what you’re going to get.  I hope I wake up to a 90% on RT after release but I doubt it.

I also noticed one of the screen writers helped write the now classic xmen origins wolverine. Lololol why why why would they have this director and screen writer combo? Zero faith in this at the moment and poor Joaquin looks ridiculous. Great actor tho maybe there’s the slightest hope.

42 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's different from what's being reported, though. The public in the plot and story didn't empathize or sympathize with/for The Joker. Just like Thanos, you can have humanizing qualities and a mission, but when you're genocidal/homicidal you're still a villain. That's what separates great and complex villains from vanilla one-offs that only exist for your hero to defeat/overcome.

Once his character becomes The Joker, he has to be a villain. For me, he cannot be idolized by the public as a hero/anti-hero when he dons the name and garb. It ruins the character for me. That's not really The Joker. It's an imitation (and a poor one at that).

The rules are different for a protagonist and Thanos was not the protagonist of The Avengers. The Joker is here. Hollywood goes by hard rules when writing screenplays. A film must have one.

When I said empathize/sympathize, I meant the audience. A protagonist must have some level of empathy/sympathy from the audience for the character to work. That is one big reason we are seeing so many anti-heroes right now in tv and film.

While writers want to shock audiences with drama, suspense and violence, they also want the audience to connect with the main character by trying to relate to something consciously or subconsciously.

The arc of main characters are completely scrutinized by writers, directors and producers (and good actors). I have not doubt that has happened here as well. I would be shocked if the movie ends with the Joker being a good guy or a "hero" of Gotham. I guess we will see.  

32 minutes ago, jason4 said:

poor Joaquin looks ridiculous. Great actor tho maybe there’s the slightest hope.

He does. Maybe that's deliberate. Maybe he's going to be so outrageously, shockingly evil, that the apparently naff outfit suddenly makes sense. Heath Ledgers outfit is a contrivance. Effort has gone into it. This Joker can't be bothered to look 'properly menacing'. He's too busy inflicting senseless gut wrenching cruelty on the world. To  the director, a 'suit' is a distraction. 

Maybe.

5 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

The rules are different for a protagonist and Thanos was not the protagonist of The Avengers. The Joker is here. Hollywood goes by hard rules when writing screenplays. A film must have one.

When I said empathize/sympathize, I meant the audience. A protagonist must have some level of empathy/sympathy from the audience for the character to work. That is one big reason we are seeing so many anti-heroes right now in tv and film.

While writers want to shock audiences with drama, suspense and violence, they also want the audience to connect with the main character by trying to relate to something consciously or subconsciously.

The arc of main characters are completely scrutinized by writers, directors and producers (and good actors). I have not doubt that has happened here as well. I would be shocked if the movie ends with the Joker being a good guy or a "hero" of Gotham. I guess we will see.  

The Joker is not an antagonist. He never should be. Ever. That's my point. It won't work. He's an iconic villain. He should never be portrayed as anything but a villain. If they want his original person to be a hero, fine. Once he dons the makeup he can't be "good" in any way, shape, or form. It's blasphemy.

Doesn't anyone remember the nerd outrage when the Ledger Joker pics first came out? People HATED it. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then the movie came out, and people fell over themselves to worship the performance. 

So Phillips is primarily known for directing comedies. Who cares? Jordan Peele still made "Get Out". Terry Gilliam made "Brazil." Albert Brooks made more movies than I can think of off the top of my head. Most talented people can do more than one kind of thing. 

Studying every last bit of info that leaks out, every little bit of minutiae that dribbles onto the internet, just creates baseless expectations and/or needless disappointment. I've seen these pics, fine, that's where I stop. I'll be ignoring the movie until it comes out, and will make a final judgment then.

Maybe it comes out and it DOES suck. Who cares? Life goes on. There will be another Joker movie coming down the pike a year or two later. Maybe you'll like that one.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Doesn't anyone remember the nerd outrage when the Ledger Joker pics first came out? People HATED it. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then the movie came out, and people fell over themselves to worship the performance. 

So Phillips is primarily known for directing comedies. Who cares? Jordan Peele still made "Get Out". Terry Gilliam made "Brazil." Albert Brooks made more movies than I can think of off the top of my head. Most talented people can do more than one kind of thing. 

Studying every last bit of info that leaks out, every little bit of minutiae that dribbles onto the internet, just creates baseless expectations and/or needless disappointment. I've seen these pics, fine, that's where I stop. I'll be ignoring the movie until it comes out, and will make a final judgment then.

Maybe it comes out and it DOES suck. Who cares? Life goes on. There will be another Joker movie coming down the pike a year or two later. Maybe you'll like that one.

IIRC the 2nd upcoming Joker movie stars Jared Leto, and his Joker is the worst live-action performance ever.

One thing I will note this Joker movie will most likely beat both Aquaman and Shazam at the box office. The Joker is a very popular character with the modern crowd like Deadpool. I would expect at least two movies with Joaquin Phoenix.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

26 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing I will note this Joker movie will most likely beat both Aquaman and Shazam at the box office. The Joker is a very popular character with the modern crowd like Deadpool. I would expect at least two movies with Joaquin Phoenix.

if Aquaman does $300MM WW rather than the $600MM+ WW it's going to do, then maybe

2 hours ago, jason4 said:

Scorsese dropped out already. Must have realized this was a bad idea... and now you have no hope lol

The last Hollywood Reporter article still had him listed as a producer, but who knows.