• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Getting out of my range...
3 3

121 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jhkunc said:

So, I had picked up a decent ungraded Hulk 181 a couple of weeks ago. Amazingly, I've got another opportunity to buy one graded CGC 7.0. I know prices can vary greatly in past sales on eBay & other outlets. Wondering what you all think about how much you'd like to buy at a good price. Also, I know not all 7.0's look alike. Clean white back, no spine ticks that beaks color, but there is a slight quarter ink crease (not deep) on the surface that breaks color. That's the only thing I see wrong. Thanks in advance on any feedback. 

Right now you are looking at a book that is about $100 per grade point for mid to higher range books ( all bets are off once you hit 9.0 or higher). I keep track for the two I own.  Right now 5.0's are between $1000 and $1100, and 7.5's are between 1700 and 1800. So that 7.0 should be about a 1600 book.

I do not see any downward trend coming, but believe the book will continue to slowly rise.  The only variable is the "real" Wolverine is back and if Marvel Legacy somewhat works, you may see a short term increase.

2 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

It better! I think it very plausible that it will. Look at AF15/ASM1. ASM1 is getting dragged up by AF15 being out of reach for most.

I am not sure ASM 1 is Spidy on hjis 1st solo boom. That is more significant. 

1 minute ago, drotto said:

I am not sure ASM 1 is Spidy on hjis 1st solo boom. That is more significant. 

So where do you think people will turn to when they can no longer afford 181? 180? 182? Limited series? Wolvie 1 88'? Interesting question.....

No matter how anyone cuts it 180 is the true first appearance of Wolvie.... 2c 

3 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

So where do you think people will turn to when they can no longer afford 181? 180? 182? Limited series? Wolvie 1 88'? Interesting question.....

Agreed!

IH180 will absolutely continue to rise in price, especially as IH181 gets out of range. It's already seen a nice upward tick over the past year.

I just sold my 5.0 with small amount of pen on cover for 960.00 in addition to nm walking dead 6, 16, and 17, a cgc 9.4 tales of suspense cap book, and a statue to upgrade to cgc hulk 181 7.0 for about 1700. I felt I better upgrade now before it's too late. Ended up only paying 100 bux. I highky recommend this.

Edited by jason4

On 9/30/2017 at 5:10 PM, Patriot6 said:

From my end.... I put what I could have put into a 180 into a GSX1... there's 4 ? 's that are intertwined between early Wolverine and the New  XMEN... 180 181 181 GSX1 XM94...

7 hours ago, story cover & art by... said:

From my end.... I put what I could have put into a 180 into a GSX1... there's 4 ? 's that are intertwined between early Wolverine and the New  XMEN... 180 181 181 GSX1 XM94...

That's true. Good point. I just think that 180 will ride 181's coat tails due to the fact that it is the real first appearance. I think many who also covet 181 try to make the 180, 181, 182 set. GSX1 is a key in it's own right, 180+181 are bound in a different manner.  I think that all the books you mentioned will go up in value, they're the cream of the BA, but my question is where will one who seeks 181, but cannot afford it turn when this becomes the case? If I was dead set on 181, but there was no realistic possibility of getting one, I think I would go after 180... 

If I was looking to get a Hulk 181 because I'm a big Wolverine fan, but couldn't quite afford one, my next choice would be GSXM1.  That's a little lower than IH181.  IH180 would be my third choice.  I know it's his first cameo appearance but since all you'll ever see of a graded comic is the cover, it's a big deal for your favorite hero to not even be on it.  It's like Avengers Annual #10 being the first appearance of Rogue, but she's just a shadowy figure on the cover.  My wife would rather have her third appearance in Uncanny X-men 158 on display because she's visible.

So I don't think there's any one particular answer to the questions.  Since budget is the only factor preventing people from grabbing an IH181, then whatever that person's budget actually is will probably determine if they go for GSXM, IH180, Wolverine 1 either mini series or regular.

46 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

That's true. Good point. I just think that 180 will ride 181's coat tails due to the fact that it is the real first appearance. I think many who also covet 181 try to make the 180, 181, 182 set. GSX1 is a key in it's own right, 180+181 are bound in a different manner.  I think that all the books you mentioned will go up in value, they're the cream of the BA, but my question is where will one who seeks 181, but cannot afford it turn when this becomes the case? If I was dead set on 181, but there was no realistic possibility of getting one, I think I would go after 180... 

My opinion to your question is, where will they go after 180 becomes Out Of Reach...? People will then go after 182 rather dismally, and when those two max out to people's price range then Hulk 181 will stay at its then current value for a little while. We'll see if the market still has enough demand for them to stay at that price.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My opinion to your question is, where will they go after 180 becomes Out Of Reach...? People will then go after 182 rather dismally, and when those two max out to people's price range then Hulk 181 will stay at its then current value for a little while. We'll see if the market still has enough demand for them to stay at that price.

That is kind of the trend now it seems, or 180 and 182 will continue to push 181 higher....it depends on the way you look at it. With 182 a First appearance and death of a character too, it may have legs if that pot was somehow stirred. Either way I somehow in my gut feel 180 and 182 have room for improvement over GSXM 1 as the latter has been an already established key for a while.

I wonder if GSXM 1 will see a push and then X-men 94 like a ripple affect for the rest of the series, I find that doubtful, but it is well blended. I don't see #94 being pushed, it seems to have cooled off considerably. If Wolverine was a catalyst then we'll see, but I wouldn't hinge any bets on it.

1 hour ago, davebo357 said:

If I was looking to get a Hulk 181 because I'm a big Wolverine fan, but couldn't quite afford one, my next choice would be GSXM1.  That's a little lower than IH181.  IH180 would be my third choice.  I know it's his first cameo appearance but since all you'll ever see of a graded comic is the cover, it's a big deal for your favorite hero to not even be on it.  It's like Avengers Annual #10 being the first appearance of Rogue, but she's just a shadowy figure on the cover.  My wife would rather have her third appearance in Uncanny X-men 158 on display because she's visible.

So I don't think there's any one particular answer to the questions.  Since budget is the only factor preventing people from grabbing an IH181, then whatever that person's budget actually is will probably determine if they go for GSXM, IH180, Wolverine 1 either mini series or regular.

I agree with what you're saying, almost. I think purists, of which there are many, will gravitate towards 180. Myself, if 181 was out of range, I would get a 9.8 Wolvie 1 88' and 9.8 mini series one for the reason that you state above. Speculators will most likely move towards 180 since, even though Wolvie is not on the cover, the label notes it as Wolverines first appearance. 180 will always be worth more than Wolvie 1 88' or the mini series, but I'm interested to see where it will land in comparison to 181. Nowhere near is the likely answer, but how high can it go? 

GSX1 and XM94 would be on a different tree limb of this family tree of keys. I am not debating their importance or the fact that they are keys, I just think many who want IH 181 would jump to 180 before they move towards these. 

In any event, there are plenty of copies of all of the books mentioned above available so that too will factor in the high and low of the prices. 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is kind of the trend now it seems, or 180 and 182 will continue to push 181 higher....it depends on the way you look at it. With 182 a First appearance and death of a character too, it may have legs if that pot was somehow stirred. Either way I somehow in my gut feel 180 and 182 have room for improvement over GSXM 1 as the latter has been an already established key for a while.

I wonder if GSXM 1 will see a push and then X-men 94 like a ripple affect for the rest of the series, I find that doubtful, but it is well blended. I don't see #94 being pushed, it seems to have cooled off considerably. If Wolverine was a catalyst then we'll see, but I wouldn't hinge any bets on it.

I think they are all handicapped by the amount available. They will go through cycles where they are hot or cold, but there will always be a cap on the high due to them being readily available in all grades everyday 24/7. This hurts a book since if there are 4 high grade copies in each auction it won't go as high as something where there is one high grade copy every third auction....

On 8/25/2017 at 3:43 AM, story cover & art by... said:

Another IH181 post...

Been watching them on eBay forever... first time I got to say even low grade copies getting out of reach... also nice copies getting scarce...

Eventually low grade CGC 2.0 will hit a grand in a few years. I see both IH181 and NM 98 having strong bull runs like AF#15 from 2007 to now.

On 9/30/2017 at 12:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've seen several 7.0s seeming to go for around $1,800 recently on eBay.

And 7.5 has been priced at just over 2,000$$ for BIN.

I don't think these will ever go back down significantly. For years we heard AF#15 would have a market correction. It never happened. I see the same path for IH#181.

I hope it keeps going lol when 180 gets out of most people's price range then if 181 keeps going .... ??? my point is time will tell if "demand" can carry both 180 and 181? that will be interesting and if you add 182 or GSXM 1 on top of that.... there just seems to be too many copies and issues surrounding that "could" be considered, which will also damper presumably.