• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Getting out of my range...
3 3

121 posts in this topic

On 2017-10-02 at 7:34 AM, jason4 said:

I just sold my 5.0 with small amount of pen on cover for 960.00 in addition to nm walking dead 6, 16, and 17, a cgc 9.4 tales of suspense cap book, and a statue to upgrade to cgc hulk 181 7.0 for about 1700. I felt I better upgrade now before it's too late. Ended up only paying 100 bux. I highky recommend this.

Would you sell ? To acquire an mid grade Hulk 181  hm

ASM 39 CGC8.0

ASM 40 CGC 6.5 

NM 98 CGC 9.6

NM 98 CGC 9.2 

DD 168 9.6

Secret Wars 8 CGC 9.8 

and some raw books 

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

1 hour ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Would you sell ? To acquire an mid grade Hulk 181  hm

ASM 39 CGC8.0

ASM 40 CGC 6.5 

NM 98 CGC 9.6

NM 98 CGC 9.2 

DD 168 9.6

Secret Wars 8 CGC 9.8 

and some raw books 

I am currently selling a Supes #16 8.5 CGC OWP so I can get a decent copyof IH #181.

If it was those books or hulk 181 I would take 181 any day if I was trying to make money. If it was for my collection I would keep what I really liked and whatever else I knew i could sell and not miss i would sell and then get the best copy I could afford with that money plus some cash.

1 hour ago, jason4 said:

If it was those books or hulk 181 I would take 181 any day if I was trying to make money. If it was for my collection I would keep what I really liked and whatever else I knew i could sell and not miss i would sell and then get the best copy I could afford with that money plus some cash.

Yea this would allow me to keep my ASM 9.8s ...would hurt selling the ASM 39 but think I might go for it

On 10/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, drotto said:

Was just looking at GPA's for my 7.5 and just had two sales over $2000. Honestly I am surprised. Are we seeing another price spike coming.

A 6.5 just sold for $1650, so I would say yes. 

50 minutes ago, thedude said:

A 6.5 just sold for $1650, so I would say yes. 

At NYCC I ended up trading my 5.0 ( I had 2 copies) at a $1000 trade value which I figured was fair given that GPA on the book is $1090. I know the dealers need to make something and generally tack on 5 to 10 %.  I ended up getting a lesson in how hot this book is.

I went to CGC to close my order for the show, and walked passed the booth 15 minutes later curious to see if my book was on the wall.  It was not. I asked the dealer where it was and he said it was sold already.  Guess I can't second guess my trade.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

At NYCC I ended up trading my 5.0 ( I had 2 copies) at a $1000 trade value which I figured was fair given that GPA on the book is $1090. I know the dealers need to make something and generally tack on 5 to 10 %.  I ended up getting a lesson in how hot this book is.

I went to CGC to close my order for the show, and walked passed the booth 15 minutes later curious to see if my book was on the wall.  It was not. I asked the dealer where it was and he said it was sold already.  Guess I can't second guess my trade.

I believe it. I've seen a few 5.0s go for $1200-$1250.

42 minutes ago, thedude said:

I believe it. I've seen a few 5.0s go for $1200-$1250.

Yeah, unfortunately if I sell via eBay or other common venues, even if I got 1200 for it, once I pay the fees at best I would have been at 1050 in my pocket. And for the books I traded for I would have had to pay for shipping. So all in all I am happy.

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

Yeah, unfortunately if I sell via eBay or other common venues, even if I got 1200 for it, once I pay the fees at best I would have been at 1050 in my pocket. And for the books I traded for I would have had to pay for shipping. So all in all I am happy.

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Popped into  a comic shop on Friday was talking to the owner telling me Hulk 181 is gonna eventually crash  it can't last it's a Bronze book and there's too many out there ... I don't think so .. demand is too high .. I don't see it happening 

Agendas and wishes, as long as the character is an icon i think it will be a book people want. When I was a kid I could have bought a Spiderman #1 for $100  or so but that was crazy thinking. The book was way out of my range, looking back I think what a fool I was. I think the same thing about books now, if I was a twenty year old I would buy a few and at 65 be real glad I did. Just think about all the books lost this year alone, fires, flood's and other issues. I have a 9.2 that I hope one of my great grand kids will look at as a family treasure to pass along.

4 hours ago, Grib said:

Agendas and wishes, as long as the character is an icon i think it will be a book people want. When I was a kid I could have bought a Spiderman #1 for $100  or so but that was crazy thinking. The book was way out of my range, looking back I think what a fool I was. I think the same thing about books now, if I was a twenty year old I would buy a few and at 65 be real glad I did. Just think about all the books lost this year alone, fires, flood's and other issues. I have a 9.2 that I hope one of my great grand kids will look at as a family treasure to pass along.

Is there any evidence at All of books lost to flooding?

9 hours ago, Grib said:

In 1983,  I had an opportunity to buy a Batman #1 6.0-ish for $3,000. I wasn't a fool. I didn't have $3,000 was all. Now - thirty three years later - I don't have $90,000. I get what I can get at the moment. Thinking about what might have been will drive one crazy.

6 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Is there any evidence at All of books lost to flooding?

You are 100% right, I have no proof. It was not a literal example but figurative, my mistake. I just saw in my "head" comic book stores, collectors and others who might live in Florida, Puerto Rico, Texas, California and other states where maybe one or two books might have been lost. Maybe just maybe. But I agree you are right I have no proof. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

In 1983,  I had an opportunity to buy a Batman #1 6.0-ish for $3,000. I wasn't a fool. I didn't have $3,000 was all. Now - thirty three years later - I don't have $90,000. I get what I can get at the moment. Thinking about what might have been will drive one crazy.

This comment I find interesting, if I'm honest about my life style as a young man I could have found the money. I spent a lot more than a few hundred on play. Booze, dates (this one might not count) bad books I really didn't need but collected. I could have found the cash. It was not my priority than but than buying stocks and bonds wasn't either. It is a long term investment and like others hindsight is different than the moment. $100 was emotional the same as $3,000 in 1977 to me. "Thinking about what might have beed will drive one crazy" very true.

3 hours ago, Grib said:

This comment I find interesting, if I'm honest about my life style as a young man I could have found the money. I spent a lot more than a few hundred on play. Booze, dates (this one might not count) bad books I really didn't need but collected. I could have found the cash. It was not my priority than but than buying stocks and bonds wasn't either. It is a long term investment and like others hindsight is different than the moment. $100 was emotional the same as $3,000 in 1977 to me. "Thinking about what might have beed will drive one crazy" very true.

I wish that were the case for myself at that time. I was 20 years old and literally had no where near $3k for a Batman #1. We had a new baby and money was almost non existent. Even if I had $3k back then, I would have been divorced a lot sooner than I was if I had spent it on a "comic book". What I am left with was foresight back then and hindsight now. Ah, well. The woman selling the #1 had two more plus issues 2-52 in a bag a farmer brought into her store. So, I bought a #9 and the #52. Paid $90 for both, I think. She was very cool. She gave me the choice between one of the three #1's. Made no difference.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I wish that were the case for myself at that time. I was 20 years old and literally had no where near $3k for a Batman #1. We had a new baby and money was almost non existent. Even if I had $3k back then, I would have been divorced a lot sooner than I was if I had spent it on a "comic book". What I am left with was foresight back then and hindsight now. Ah, well. The woman selling the #1 had two more plus issues 2-52 in a bag a farmer brought into her store. So, I bought a #9 and the #52. Paid $90 for both, I think. She was very cool. She gave me the choice between one of the three #1's. Made no difference.

I applaud you for being aware of the true picture. I was nowhere that mature then. I remember being more poor than mature, I played and wasted money. Nice to hear about the seller, she sounded like a good memory. 

32 minutes ago, Grib said:

I applaud you for being aware of the true picture. I was nowhere that mature then. I remember being more poor than mature, I played and wasted money. Nice to hear about the seller, she sounded like a good memory. 

She had and still has one SICK mofo collection. She was given an award for having every single issue DC Comics ever printed. She bought a second house to store all her books in. She showed me her private stash. All the Golden Age #1's. ALL of them. She let me hold her Action 1, Detective 27, Superman and Batman 1's. All the keys. I thought I would pass out. I'll never forget it.

I wasn't mature back then, per se. I was dead broke and had little means of fixing the situation. Unskilled labor with a chip on his shoulder. It has been a really rough ride. It's over now and much better. But I am 20 years behind where I should be. My grail is still a Batman #1. Will never see one in my possession.