• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Getting out of my range...
3 3

121 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

She had and still has one SICK mofo collection. She was given an award for having every single issue DC Comics ever printed. She bought a second house to store all her books in. She showed me her private stash. All the Golden Age #1's. ALL of them. She let me hold her Action 1, Detective 27, Superman and Batman 1's. All the keys. I thought I would pass out. I'll never forget it.

I wasn't mature back then, per se. I was dead broke and had little means of fixing the situation. Unskilled labor with a chip on his shoulder. It has been a really rough ride. It's over now and much better. But I am 20 years behind where I should be. My grail is still a Batman #1. Will never see one in my possession.

I have only seen photos, though I did hold a Spiderman #1 ss Stan Lee a few weeks ago at the Hamilton Comic con. A friend who does ss had it for a customer and he let me have a close up look. Sweet to see. Her collection sounds like the thing dreams are made of to reference the Maltese Falcon. Very cool stuff.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:26 PM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Popped into  a comic shop on Friday was talking to the owner telling me Hulk 181 is gonna eventually crash  it can't last it's a Bronze book and there's too many out there ... I don't think so .. demand is too high .. I don't see it happening 

181 is the cornerstone of the BA.  People have been predicting its demise for years and it has not happened yet.  All the dealers I met at NYCC this past week were very nice to me when I told them I was considering selling or trading a copy.  They all said it is one book they can never get enough of.

So many other books and possibly a good chunk of comic collecting world would need to collapse for 181 not to remain valuable regardless of the number of copies. The whole idea that there are too many copies is also somewhat of a misnomer.  Yes, there are likely a few hoarders of this book around and many raw copies remain. But as more and better copies have come to market the demand has easily absorbed the new books despite the high census numer. Even if 200 new unknown books hit the market it is still only a small fraction of the known copies. The demand remains large, and Wolverine is a will remain Marvel's number two character.

Not saying there may not be a correction at some point.  But it would take a massive across the board crash to significantly devalue this book.

Is there a known total print run amount out there. I thought most BA print runs were between 250,000 and 400,000? With returns and other losses is there a guess on the amount out there?

I am not informed on the print runs my numbers are a question not a fact.

19 hours ago, drotto said:

181 is the cornerstone of the BA.  People have been predicting its demise for years and it has not happened yet.  All the dealers I met at NYCC this past week were very nice to me when I told them I was considering selling or trading a copy.  They all said it is one book they can never get enough of.

So many other books and possibly a good chunk of comic collecting world would need to collapse for 181 not to remain valuable regardless of the number of copies. The whole idea that there are too many copies is also somewhat of a misnomer.  Yes, there are likely a few hoarders of this book around and many raw copies remain. But as more and better copies have come to market the demand has easily absorbed the new books despite the high census numer. Even if 200 new unknown books hit the market it is still only a small fraction of the known copies. The demand remains large, and Wolverine is a will remain Marvel's number two character.

Not saying there may not be a correction at some point.  But it would take a massive across the board crash to significantly devalue this book.

i couldn't agree more. just got my second copy. got a 9.0 WP 3 years ago, and have watched that increase in value 33% so far. just bought a 8.5 WP for my second copy. want more too! 

On 10/9/2017 at 7:03 PM, Grib said:

Agendas and wishes, as long as the character is an icon i think it will be a book people want. When I was a kid I could have bought a Spiderman #1 for $100  or so but that was crazy thinking. The book was way out of my range, looking back I think what a fool I was. I think the same thing about books now, if I was a twenty year old I would buy a few and at 65 be real glad I did. Just think about all the books lost this year alone, fires, flood's and other issues. I have a 9.2 that I hope one of my great grand kids will look at as a family treasure to pass along.

I also remember a time when people said that Amazing Fantasy 15 could never go passed 5000.00 in NM , and that it would crash. Now good luck getting a .5 for that much.

My crummy 4.0ish Qualified (MVS cut out but taped back in) is still at CGC getting graded but since I picked up that 8.5 GSXM1, it's just going to look so crummy in comparison when I display them together.  I'm thinking I should really get in the market for a 7.0-7.5 soon.  Definitely don't want to pay ebay prices though, so if any of you IH181 hoarders want to dump a copy at a fair price let me know, otherwise I'll probably post in the WTB forum soon.  I kinda wanna get Iron Fist 14 too just for that Wolverine/Sabretooth combo.

Edited by davebo357

15 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

My crummy 4.0ish Qualified (MVS cut out but taped back in) is still at CGC getting graded but since I picked up that 8.5 GSXM1, it's just going to look so crummy in comparison when I display them together.  I'm thinking I should really get in the market for a 7.0-7.5 soon.  Definitely don't want to pay ebay prices though, so if any of you IH181 hoarders want to dump a copy at a fair price let me know, otherwise I'll probably post in the WTB forum soon.  I kinda wanna get Iron Fist 14 too just for that Wolverine/Sabretooth combo.

I have a higher grade book but as an investment I'm thinking of picking up a few 6.0-7.0. Higher grade books seem in my head harder to sell off in a few years. I bought a few ASM 129's raw and had them ss by Stan Lee and John Romita thinking that this was a smart way to go. No sure if it is though. Any opinions out there. I hear signed books are harder to sell.

20 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Here's the rub: Is eBay actually driving the prices of this book? What IS FMV if not?

I would say yes.  I didn't expect to pay as much as I did for a ratty copy with the MVS taped back into it, but I did.  I got in that mode of if I just bid a little higher than I wanted at the last second, then I'll win the auction.  But my frame of reference for what I "should" pay was based on previous similar copies sold on ebay, which I'm sure were all won by guys like me bidding just a little more than they expected to "beat" the other people bidding.  Since joining the CGC forums I have much preferred people just giving me a price for their book and deciding for myself if I want to pay that much or not, then I get the book with no hassle and I pay them less than I would have spent on ebay, but they receive about the same because ebay isn't taking a huge cut.

3 hours ago, davebo357 said:

I would say yes.  I didn't expect to pay as much as I did for a ratty copy with the MVS taped back into it, but I did.  I got in that mode of if I just bid a little higher than I wanted at the last second, then I'll win the auction.  But my frame of reference for what I "should" pay was based on previous similar copies sold on ebay, which I'm sure were all won by guys like me bidding just a little more than they expected to "beat" the other people bidding.  Since joining the CGC forums I have much preferred people just giving me a price for their book and deciding for myself if I want to pay that much or not, then I get the book with no hassle and I pay them less than I would have spent on ebay, but they receive about the same because ebay isn't taking a huge cut.

Why even bother with Overstreet anymore? It seems like eBay is the Price Guide now. That and the auction houses like Metro and CLINK. Guess we pay for convenience. Through the nose.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:08 AM, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Would you sell ? To acquire an mid grade Hulk 181  hm

ASM 39 CGC8.0

ASM 40 CGC 6.5 

NM 98 CGC 9.6

NM 98 CGC 9.2 

DD 168 9.6

Secret Wars 8 CGC 9.8 

and some raw books 

I sold a third of my graded books for my 181. I’m so glad I did. Trust me you won’t regret it