• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

From what I've heard from reliable sources, it was due to the others company's policy on noting conservation vs. restoration.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Richie Muchin. He burned me on a Sgt. Fury 1 and Hulk 6 with undisclosed restoration -- NOT conservation.

And now CGC also distinguishes between conservation and restoration. See, competition is good for the hobby. BTW, I concur on Richie.

29 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

What few brand echh from the new start up company that i have looked at looked inferior to the same grade as CGC..  

i love CGC, i have spent about 4 minutes on the brand echh chat boards but if i were to hang out there more often i would not be bragging about how CGC is their equal ........ no i would not have the audacity to do that nor to post facepalm emoji 's

when a dealer like tomorrows treasure whom vehemently railed against CGC and then all of a sudden gets most his stock graded by brand echhh i read between the lines, he did not initially get the stated grades that he wanted from CGC so he stayed raw and hated on CGC,.....and then when a new company starts up suddenly he's all in....hmmmmmm

The Tomorrow's Treasure comment is explained below in another post. You state you love CGC, that's cool, but again why the hate for Voldi ?

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The Tomorrow's Treasure comment is explained below in another post. You state you love CGC, that's cool, but again why the hate for Voldi ?

If i mentioned that i hated them well that might be too strong a word , i try not to hate anything.... brand echhh is  just a non entity to me along with halo vault and pgx.... i would never buy a comic from any of those four,..maybe its just me but i doubt i'm alone , when i see any of the competitors listings on eBay, comic link etc.. i i don't even pause to look, just scroll right past till i see some AWESOME CGC GOODNESS !!!!  (worship)

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, comicquant said:

I just started collecting in 2016 and one of the first stories I came across in researching slabbing in general was how shady PGX is, was and will most likely continue to be.  Most PGX slabs look about three bumps over graded.  While Voldy  doesn't have the bad rap PGX does they're in the same boat when it comes to trusting the grade you buy.  

I have some REALLY bad news for you

32 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I do agree, it would be cool, but....I think the cost of the slab would prohibit a $5 each level.  I'm just guessing they would be at the $15 level to break even, probably $20 to make a nominal profit. Add the cost of shipping and the fact that the slabs are heavy and it's just not worth it. 

Are you sure about cost? Plastic is generally inexpensive, there's no printing involved, and I always assumed the bulk of what you were paying for was the expertise of the graders. Really all you need are blank shells and an operator to seal them. I could easily be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't hit the $5 mark. I think fraud would be the biggest issue, I'm a designer and it would take me about 30 seconds to fake a label.

11 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Are you sure about cost? Plastic is generally inexpensive, there's no printing involved, and I always assumed the bulk of what you were paying for was the expertise of the graders. Really all you need are blank shells and an operator to seal them. I could easily be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't hit the $5 mark

It's not the plastic, the cost is all tied up in "the process" of moving the comic from receipt of the submission to the final shipping out and all the QA and security steps in-between. No way that's going to happen for $5 a book. Bear in mind, whether the book is being graded or not, they still need to follow every step to ensure the right book gets back to the right submitter in the condition it was received.

21 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Are you sure about cost? Plastic is generally inexpensive, there's no printing involved, and I always assumed the bulk of what you were paying for was the expertise of the graders. Really all you need are blank shells and an operator to seal them. I could easily be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't hit the $5 mark. I think fraud would be the biggest issue, I'm a designer and it would take me about 30 seconds to fake a label.

I'll sell you my empty outer wells.  Inner wells too, if you want them. 

I just want to Clarify that CGC is the # 1 grading company to me. I had my Detective 27 on ebay as a  raw EX restored 4.5 in 2007. I live 45 north of SF and 600k houses where selling for cheap and I wanted to buy a 2nd home. The Tec 27 only got to 17k with a 25k reserve. I drove to pgx so I could have my books back in 1 day i thought with a 3rd party opinion would get the book to reach my 25k reserve that's why they are graded by pgx. I have no problem sending the books to CGC when I want to sell if it gets a CGC grade drop to 3.5 I don't care. I am a collector and don't need money now that I never got my 2nd home. :cry:

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, Mr. Zipper said:

It's not the plastic, the cost is all tied up in "the process" of moving the comic from receipt of the submission to the final shipping out and all the QA and security steps in-between. No way that's going to happen for $5 a book. Bear in mind, whether the book is being graded or not, they still need to follow every step to ensure the right book gets back to the right submitter in the condition it was received.

I'm sure the insurance has a lot to do with pricing and tier breakdown.  I have no idea what the insurance structure would look like but I would think CGC opts for some sort of coverage which ebbs and flows depending on which books are on premise.  It seems like thats what would drive the % FMV for books over $3k; the level of risk as it applies to grading a book.  At the end of the day I would think their biggest concern is damaging or losing a book so I agree a majority of the baked cost is probably contingency based.

One very distinguished member of our forums had an "unrestored" Superman 1 in a PGX label that turned out to have a fake back cover. What an expensive "mistake" for PGX. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, and I can't believe a major auction house would use them for anything, let alone high dollar books.

I have 3 low cost PGX books I bought as set fillers.  I'd say two were accurately graded, one was woefully overgraded.  Having gone this route collecting sports cards with all the fly-by-night grading companies in that particular hobby, I only stick with the big name, reputable graders now. 

55 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

One very distinguished member of our forums had an "unrestored" Superman 1 in a PGX label that turned out to have a fake back cover. What an expensive "mistake" for PGX. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, and I can't believe a major auction house would use them for anything, let alone high dollar books.

I have never seen this story?. PGX is not in the same class as CGC we all know that. I have talked to Daniel and he is not a total  dummy on comic book's and I hope that this is not true hm. I agree they do over grade on most books but not all. I have seen stories where a CGC book has been sent to them after cracked out and come back with a lower grade than CGC gave the book or the same. I will be the first to say I only trust CGC grading 100%. if I was buying (thumbsu

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I have never seen this story?. PGX is not in the same class as CGC we all know that. I have talked to Daniel and he is not a total  dummy on comic book's and I hope that this is not true hm. I agree they do over grade on most books but not all. I have seen stories where a CGC book has been sent to them after cracked out and come back with a lower grade than CGC gave the book or the same. I will be the first to say I only trust CGC grading 100%. if I was buying (thumbsu

It's well known that PGX grades books they own and puts them up for sale.  They aren't impartial and can't be trusted.

5 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Some of you are obviously not here to learn and just want to spout off your asinine ramblings and are turning this into a facebook comic book collecting, which may possibly be rock bottom

^^

Only thing I'd disagree with the above is the use of "possibly".