• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

People have often been divided into two camps over whether famous comic creators' personal lives and/or backgrounds have a "value" in "determining" their legacy and/or contributions, or whether they are relevant in some way or not.  Some feel "No" and some feel "Yes".

First other example that comes to mind is Siegel and Shuster.

35 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

People have often been divided into two camps over whether famous comic creators' personal lives and/or backgrounds have a "value" in "determining" their legacy and/or contributions, or whether they are relevant in some way or not.  Some feel "No" and some feel "Yes".

If more information helps inform you of their work, fine. To the average person there always seem to be degrees of interest in the "famous" lives. 

My only request of posters in dealing with information such as Bakers sexual status which is unconfirmed or really anything which is unknown or in debate please present it as such and not a fact. Squeggs sited the author of the source (which I am aware of too) and why would he lie well you could make the same argument in reverse about Bakers brother in law or Ray and his wife which knew Baker well enough to ask him to be his best man. All we know is there are opposing views with opinions not facts.

Its pretty easy to discredit something like when Jack Kirby claimed he really created Superman but the waters get murky if you think you can provide an answer as to why Jack Cole killed himself (theories abound there).

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion but if facts are in doubt of that opinion I think it fair to let people know what you think is possible but not a fact.

8 hours ago, MusterMark said:

To me, Baker's race, ethnicity, and sexual preferences do not in any way impact my appreciation of his talent and the amazing artwork he produced.  However, it definitely gives me more  insight in understanding Matt Baker the person which likely had a major impact on his artwork.  Whether it be a an important politician, artist, or historical figure, I always like understanding their background and life story and how it directly influenced their actions, their philosophies, and in many cases, their artistic output.  

15 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Now this guy would probably get arrested on sight, today...  

tat2_pb.jpg

Might be questionable from today's point of view, indeed. Does that guy's comment go along with the inside story (I'm not familiar with the book, pardon me)? I mean, what if Baker, for example, originally suggested:

"I made up my mind. You're the one that I want."

#18 Phantom Lady 23 - 372 (total count)

#17 JoJo 25 - 369

#16 Amazing Ghost Stories - 366

#15 Phantom Lady 16 - 361

#14 Going Steady 10 - 353

#13 Teen-Age Romances 14 - 352

#12 Phantom Lady 18 - 343

#11 Teen-Age Temptations 2 - 327

9 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Jo-Jo 25 second to last?! -- That's a Jo-Jo-Joke! :whatthe: 

(Nice vertical vignette at the left edge from Fox Feature alone is worth more, no?) 

I'm sure that's just a reflection of the debate over Baker's credit for the book.  That would also explain PL 23 coming in last. 

I like that tabcom has given us the first 8 first.  It's given me a chance to predict how the remaining 10 will rank.  I'm going to PM my prediction to someone who will be able to verify it, in the event my predictions are right on the money... 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm sure that's just a reflection of the debate over Baker's credit for the book.  That would also explain PL 23 coming in last. 

I like that tabcom has given us the first 8 first.  It's given me a chance to predict how the remaining 10 will rank.  I'm going to PM my prediction to someone who will be able to verify it, in the event my predictions are right on the money... 

For me, Jo-Jo 25 and PL 23 are top 5 to 7 covers, Baker or no. Sorry, but I love both of them. I actually think Jo-Jo 25 is perhaps the greatest GGA bondage cover of all-time.

I think the Baker threads are mostly visited by the romance aficianados as well explaining the low Phantom Lady 18 placement as well. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

For me, Jo-Jo 25 and PL 23 are top 5 to 7 covers, Baker or no. Sorry, but I love both of them. I actually think Jo-Jo 25 is perhaps the greatest GGA bondage cover of all-time.

I think the Baker threads are mostly visited by the romance aficianados as well explaining the low Phantom Lady 18 placement as well. 

But Rick, this is a poll about BAKER books - if questionable (and they certainly are), then that hurts the ranking in my view.

I'm not a GGA guy per se, but Baker's romance covers (which we know are by Baker) are just better IMHO.

TAR 14 at #13, ouch...