• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tooting my own horn
3 3

64 posts in this topic

can I call dibs on any "screen-used" merch hahaha :) 

That is awesome that you were able to sit in Sheldon's spot!

and I was half-way kidding, but due to you supplying and being a help they may give you a treat of "screen-used" merch :o @MrBedrock

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

41 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The reason for their visit was to do some research for an as yet untitled spin-off series. They asked Mike and I about Houston, what it was like to grow up here, what the comic book store scene would have been like in the late eighties, and what a young comic collector would have had to deal with culturally here. They explained that they were thinking about doing a series about Sheldon Cooper growing up. They were super nice and I think we were pretty helpful. They left and we didn't really think any more of it for a few months. The Big Bang Theory cast had renegotiated their contracts and a new season was underway.

Then we hear that Young Sheldon is on the fall schedule!

In June we get a call from the set designer for Young Sheldon, Richard C. Walker. He wanted to get some information on what type of product would be in a store during the summer months of 1989. Mike and Richard emailed back and forth for a month, narrowing down specific titles and merchandise that would been out then, and essentially designing a comic shop. We sent them a pile of time specific comics. In early August I was in Los Angeles for a DC retail meeting and visited the Warner lot to talk with the Young Sheldon folks and see the store. I can't post any pictures of the set, but the shop looks awesome! I can post a shot from an adjacent set though...

youngsheldon3.jpg

Is this what geeks that "toot their own horn" look like?

Seriously, very cool but couldn't you get them to get the real Sheldon Cooper in your store? That would be epic!

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Seriously, very cool but couldn't you get them to get the real Sheldon Cooper in your store? That would be epic!

I would love for him to come by the shop. I know he is a big Houston sports fan. He even did a short video selling Dwight Howard on the Rockets (I guess that back-fired a little). But I also respect celebs who value their free time. He values his much more than I am willing to pay.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

and I was half-way kidding, but due to you supplying and being a help they may give you a treat of "screen-used" merch :o @MrBedrock

lol "crickets haha

Good for you though! I'm super jealous ;) 

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:idea: If we get anything back there will be a sales thread.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

The reason for their visit was to do some research for an as yet untitled spin-off series. They asked Mike and I about Houston, what it was like to grow up here, what the comic book store scene would have been like in the late eighties, and what a young comic collector would have had to deal with culturally here. They explained that they were thinking about doing a series about Sheldon Cooper growing up. They were super nice and I think we were pretty helpful. They left and we didn't really think any more of it for a few months. The Big Bang Theory cast had renegotiated their contracts and a new season was underway.

Then we hear that Young Sheldon is on the fall schedule!

In June we get a call from the set designer for Young Sheldon, Richard C. Walker. He wanted to get some information on what type of product would be in a store during the summer months of 1989. Mike and Richard emailed back and forth for a month, narrowing down specific titles and merchandise that would been out then, and essentially designing a comic shop. We sent them a pile of time specific comics. In early August I was in Los Angeles for a DC retail meeting and visited the Warner lot to talk with the Young Sheldon folks and see the store. I can't post any pictures of the set, but the shop looks awesome! I can post a shot from an adjacent set though...

youngsheldon3.jpg

Very cool!  You've got a "Quick take the photo before they realize I'm here and throw me out" look on your face. :)

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Very cool!  You've got a "Quick take the photo before they realize I'm here and throw me out" look on your face. :)

A really nice guy with Warner named Marc Klein led us around the lot. We toured the Young Sheldon set which is a little different than Big Bang Theory in that it is not filmed with a live audience. We watched them film scenes taking place at the high school. It is really amazing what they do with lighting and design. Marc then took us to the Big Bang set. The living room set is permanent but was all covered with sheets. There were regular tours going on which aren't actually allowed on the set, so we had to wait until the set was all clear before we got to take the photos.

youngsheldon4.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

20 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

A really nice guy with Warner named Marc Klein led us around the lot. We toured the Young Sheldon set which is a little different than Big Bang Theory in that it is not filmed with a live audience. We watched them film scenes taking place at the high school. It is really amazing what they do with lighting and design. Marc then took us to the Big Bang set. The living room set is permanent but was all covered with sheets. There were regular tours going on which aren't actually allowed on the set, so we had to wait until the set was all clear before we got to take the photos.

youngsheldon4.jpg

I grew up in Pasadena where the show supposedly takes place. They are very accurate when they mention places there. The show was WAY better before they got girlfriends and married. I saw a couple of the first season re-runs recently,  and they were off the hook funny.

Now that you sat in Sheldon's chair, he probably won't ever come by your store now...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I grew up in Pasadena where the show supposedly takes place. They are very accurate when they mention places there. The show was WAY better before they got girlfriends and married. I saw a couple of the first season re-runs recently,  and they were off the hook funny.

That is definitely true. Still worth checking out these days though, as will the prequel...

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

So the Young Sheldon premiere was this week. I am embarrassed to say I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I have it taped. Monday night as we were driving back from the Baltimore Comic Con Mike got an email from one of our customers. Then I got an email from a friend. Then another, then another...

At the end of every Chuck Lorre production he adds a quick editorial. You have to screen grab those scenes to read what he writes. They have become known as vanity cards. Here is the vanity card from the end of Young Sheldon...

youngsheldon2.jpg

That's really cool Richard but dude, there's a roller rink in Houston?  

I'm super impressed with the level of effort and extent to which they went to research and replicate as accurate a time period and setting for the show as possible.  They could have gone to any comic shop in LA or chosen one of the more publicized comic stores in the country to source info for the period.  I suppose they know their fan base would be the anal sort that would easily pick apart any discrepancy the way comic fans pick apart any scene of a movie or show adaptations that aren't considered cannon.

My personal comcic shop experiences in 1989 were of large musty dimly lit stores with rows of long boxes and walls covered in higher end books and a condescending clerk. I wonder what version will be portrayed in the show.

Very cool Mr. B. I guess I'll have to finally give in and start binging big bang theory now.

A spin-off sounds fresh. Just as well because the BBT itself has definitely jumped the shark IMO. Strangely it took a downturn about the same time Lorre had that massive bust up with Charlie Sheen. Go figure.