• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collection We Looked At
7 7

1,026 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'm aware of the risk Roy and I'm fine with it.

I honestly don't think there is any risk at all.

There are dozens of potential buyers already aware of this collection as the seller walked around at least 2 comic shows asking if vendors were interested in buying it.

That it is still available is telling. It has very few key comic books, and the size/volume of the collection that is not comicbooks can be a turn off. It is a case where the number of items that are going to take a lot of effort to sell is a detriment to how sellable it is overall.

If another buyer obtains it, good for them as what they paid was more than we were going to anyways. (shrug)

Edited by Artboy99

144 boxes!  Damn.  That's a lifetime right there.

If you have the time to split everything up and sell it off individually you will most likely profit from this.  Either way it's cool to see so thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, CKB said:

The collection is a dream and a nightmare at the same time.  So much stuff that is rarely traded and even rarely seen.  How do you know what to pay for it?  How do you price it once it's purchased?  It's maddening enough to think the right move is to walk away at anything but the most comfortable pricing.  And then there is the time already invested just trying to go through it.  Uggh!

Yeah, unless I could get it dirt cheap, or I was getting it for my own personal collection, this would probably look like more trouble than its worth. Lots of really neat stuff, but not sure how much of it has real value. But if you're looking for a one stop Steranko collection, this is the buy for you!

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, unless I could get it dirt cheap, or I was getting it for my own personal collection, this would probably look like more trouble than its worth. Lots of really neat stuff, but not sure how much of it has real value. But if you're looking for a one stop Steranko collection, this is the buy for you!

There are people interested in these items, but it is not mass appeal.

42 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

There are people interested in these items, but it is not mass appeal.

Oh, I have no doubt. There are even several that I'd be interested in. I'm sure for the right price, and the right dealer, this could be a slam dunk. It'd just be intimidating for a small timer like me.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

12 hours ago, CKB said:

The collection is a dream and a nightmare at the same time.  So much stuff that is rarely traded and even rarely seen.  How do you know what to pay for it?  How do you price it once it's purchased?  It's maddening enough to think the right move is to walk away at anything but the most comfortable pricing.  And then there is the time already invested just trying to go through it.  Uggh!

Well said.

While some of it would sell at local comic conventions the bulk of the collection requires online selling either here on the boards or Ebay.

There are literally hundreds of posters as an example that are a shipping nightmare ( in my opinion ).

I have a small batch of posters that's been sitting around for years; haven't been able to motivate myself to go through the hassle of selling.

10 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I have a small batch of posters that's been sitting around for years; haven't been able to motivate myself to go through the hassle of selling.

That's the spirit!  :banana: 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, ThothAmon said:
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, Senormac said:

What a great book !!  Been years since I had one.  That Wood wraparound is amazing

Not exactly easy to store. 

Yea.  I always thought it would be cool to have that cover opened front and back and framed

17 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:
8 hours ago, Senormac said:

Yea.  I always thought it would be cool to have that cover opened front and back and framed

@Senormac, i like your new avatar! is that Doc Savage ???

Yes.....thx !!  It's from  the famous James Bama picture from the back cover of all the paperbacks.  I was a huge Doc Savage fan.

59ea7747235eb_docsavagecrew.jpg.9072e4511d60b0e0be582040bfe431f3.jpg

Edited by Senormac

18 hours ago, Senormac said:

Yes.....thx !!  It's from  the famous James Bama picture from the back cover of all the paperbacks.  I was a huge Doc Savage fan.

I still listen to the OTR Doc Savage shows and remember watching the Ron Ely 1975 flick.  I had watched all of his Tarzan series.  I would have been 11 when the Doc Savage film came out and for my youngster critique, it got a thumbs up.  My favorite line and still remember it - "Mona, you're a brick!" 

And the Bama covers are awesome.  I would buy those from my Scholastic book order form just for the covers.  

4 hours ago, telerites said:
23 hours ago, Senormac said:

I still listen to the OTR Doc Savage shows and remember watching the Ron Ely 1975 flick.  I had watched all of his Tarzan series.  I would have been 11 when the Doc Savage film came out and for my youngster critique, it got a thumbs up.  My favorite line and still remember it - "Mona, you're a brick!" 

And the Bama covers are awesome.  I would buy those from my Scholastic book order form just for the covers.  

+1 !!!  Some of those Bama covers are masterpieces.  I still have about 80 of the paperbacks.  Read through most of em about 10 years ago.  Great escape reading. 

I have a copy of the Ron Eli film too..... but, it's ....... pretty hard to watch.   Sooo campy 

Just caught this thread, some great stuff in the collection!  Good luck!

Posters aren't as bad as you might think if you have the right resources- Take pictures of them flattened under a piece of glass( I used an old oversized picture frame for awhile, avoiding picture glare is the worst part but can be minimized).  Buying the proper poster tubes for mailing make it a breeze to ship them, and usually cheap due to weight.

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Just to update this thread.  I've managed to buy a couple items out of this collection and I'm hoping to pick up more soon.

oooh, how intriguing !!  will be watching :) 

Edited by Senormac

As collectors we get a sentimental attachment that usually blinds us to the true resell value. If the seller truly wants to sell it as a collection then he needs to realize that you need to make money off the flip. That money needs to not only cover the purchase but for your time, selling fees etc. 

I look forward to seeing what you bought so far. So is he now trying to sell some of it piece by piece or still interested in selling the lot? If he starts selling pieces off at the end he will be stuck with all the junk or stuff he overpriced. Congrats on the cool find and thanks for taking the time to post pictures and respond to all questions and comments. Looks like a guys had a lot of fun going through it.

6 hours ago, kidcolt said:

As collectors we get a sentimental attachment that usually blinds us to the true resell value. If the seller truly wants to sell it as a collection then he needs to realize that you need to make money off the flip. That money needs to not only cover the purchase but for your time, selling fees etc. 

I look forward to seeing what you bought so far. So is he now trying to sell some of it piece by piece or still interested in selling the lot? If he starts selling pieces off at the end he will be stuck with all the junk or stuff he overpriced. Congrats on the cool find and thanks for taking the time to post pictures and respond to all questions and comments. Looks like a guys had a lot of fun going through it.

I sent him an email last month saying his valuation was too high and suggesting I come by and we talk about how best to sell his collection and what venues would work best.  Some I would pay well for, some is probably best suited for mycomicshop, some best suited for Heritage or comiclink and some of the heavy low demand books probably kijiji or local dealer.  He didn't reply.  This isn't the first time I've tried to give a seller honest advice.  Last time the seller ignored my email and gave away his keys to the next guy to contact him.  I've learned, it's pointless to try to be an advocate for the seller, instead just get over there and try to trade money for books you want or buy the entire collection.

I followed up with an email offering cash for a couple items and he said yes.   I sent another email offering cash for more items and we'll see if he replies.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I sent him an email last month saying his valuation was too high and suggesting I come by and we talk about how best to sell his collection and what venues would work best.  Some I would pay well for, some is probably best suited for mycomicshop, some best suited for Heritage or comiclink and some of the heavy low demand books probably kijiji or local dealer.  He didn't reply.  This isn't the first time I've tried to give a seller honest advice.  Last time the seller ignored my email and gave away his keys to the next guy to contact him.  I've learned, it's pointless to try to be an advocate for the seller, instead just get over there and try to trade money for books you want or buy the entire collection.

I followed up with an email offering cash for a couple items and he said yes.   I sent another email offering cash for more items and we'll see if he replies.

I have learned from these recent experiences as well.

I also felt it was important to be a "good guy" and give the owner great advice but I instead learned that money talks.

What we should be doing from now on is just saying "can we come look at it?" and ignore the $200,000 valuation/ price. Once we have our foot in the door with cash in hand buy what we want. We want to be the guys who get the books, not the other local buyers.

35 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I have learned from these recent experiences as well.

I also felt it was important to be a "good guy" and give the owner great advice but I instead learned that money talks.

What we should be doing from now on is just saying "can we come look at it?" and ignore the $200,000 valuation/ price. Once we have our foot in the door with cash in hand buy what we want. We want to be the guys who get the books, not the other local buyers.

Agree, cash talks.  Especially cash in hand and/or in the face of sellers.  If they're nice and genuine, and ask you for help in a friendly way, that's one thing.  Otherwise, just do business.  Nothing wrong with that.