• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

This is pretty neat - Colossal Comics 300-pager. Contains several re-bound issues - Triumph, Dime, Wow, Funny, Commando and Joke. The first one inside is Triumph 16 - it has its covers, while the others don't...

162897.jpg.d18b9919ca7a0112ff6776101ec3a0b2.jpg

This is pretty neat - Colossal Comics 300-pager. Contains several re-bound issues - Triumph, Dime, Wow, Funny, Commando and Joke. The first one inside is Triumph 16 - it has its covers, while the others don't...

I guess you can't slab that puppy, huh?

I guess you can't slab that puppy, huh?

Nosir.

Even though this contains American reprints, I still consider FBI 2 to be a WECA comic and it appears in our coming price guide.In 1946 Cy Bell wanted to trademark and copyright register a handful of new titles such as Red Hot Comics, Jet Man Comics, The Brain Comics, and FBI comics and ash can black-and-white copies of issues No. 1 of all these titles exist at LAC. These were all intended to have new Canadian material in colour but everything collapsed. The cover for the FBI ash can is an unpublished new Fred Kelly cover that few people have seen. The ash can mock ups had the interior pages of already published WECA books such as Triumph Comics No. 29. When the bottom suddenly fell out, Cy Bell's plans collapsed and he put out issues No. 2 of Red Hot Comics, Jet Man Comics, FBI Comics, Nitro Comics with American reprinted colour contents. I regard these as the transition books between the WECA and FECA periods.

Ivan

I know Bell had a deal with a distributor in Manchester in the UK as you can see with the 9 pence price listed under the 10 cent price on the cover, but I've never found any evidence that the Bell books had a distribution deal in the states like Anglo-american had through Fawcett with it's later colour books from late 45-46.

Even though this contains American reprints, I still consider FBI 2 to be a WECA comic and it appears in our coming price guide.In 1946 Cy Bell wanted to trademark and copyright register a handful of new titles such as Red Hot Comics, Jet Man Comics, The Brain Comics, and FBI comics and ash can black-and-white copies of issues No. 1 of all these titles exist at LAC. These were all intended to have new Canadian material in colour but everything collapsed. The cover for the FBI ash can is an unpublished new Fred Kelly cover that few people have seen. The ash can mock ups had the interior pages of already published WECA books such as Triumph Comics No. 29. When the bottom suddenly fell out, Cy Bell's plans collapsed and he put out issues No. 2 of Red Hot Comics, Jet Man Comics, FBI Comics, Nitro Comics with American reprinted colour contents. I regard these as the transition books between the WECA and FECA periods.

Ivan

I read your article on this, with much interest.

Academic archives...the story of my life! Thanks for this post, Ivan. I am really happy that these have been digitized in PDF format. I can't make a day trip to Ontario, so it is great that these have been made available. This will be a welcome distraction from writing my dissertation.

As for the notations on the first page, I've seen worse on rare books at various libraries in Atlantic Canada. This is par for the course for research material, which is what these comics are now, so I am fine with it.

Don't know if you guys know yet but the Library and Archives of Canada has digitized their collection of Bell Features comics and has had them up for a couple of months on line. Go to their Library Search page at:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/results/lib?FormName=AMICUS+Simple+Search&PageNum=1&SortSpec=score+desc&Language=eng&QueryParser=lac_amicus&Sources=amicus&SearchIn_1=&SearchInText_1=dime+comics+no.+1&Operator_1=AND&SearchIn_2=&SearchInText_2=&Operator_2=AND&SearchIn_3=&SearchInText_3=&ParaUserView=UserView.Lac&Publication=&SourceLanguage=+++&Format=&MaterialDateOperator=after&MaterialDate=&ResultCount=10&MaterialSource=

and put in a title such as "Dime Comics" and you get a link like this which list further links to each of the issues they have of that title:

http://amicus.collectionscanada.gc.ca/aaweb-bin/aamain/itemdisp?sessionKey=999999999_142&l=0&d=2&v=0&lvl=1&itm=16526995

It's been a long time in coming but they've done a great job and now everybody gets to see these great issues in complete form.

(hope those links work--they could have made it a lot easier but you know academic archives....)

Hey Ivan, thanks so much for putting this link up. Finally checked it out , and I'm wildly impressed with the quality and depth!!! What a fantastic resource!

Great to see you on the boards! I have read your Comic Book Daily articles.

I know what you mean, I finished grad school 35 years ago at a time way before the internet and google... when all my references and connections were on index cards and in ledgers but the air inside midnight libraries and archival labyrinths is of a special nostalgia for me--like that wonderul musty smell of comics just fished out of a basement.

Thanks, I've stopped writing the column for Comic Book Daily due to an editorial conflict but we are revamping our "whites" website, Canada's Own Comics ( http://canadasowncomics.com/ ) and the new iteration should appear sometime in July. I'll be doing my column there and we'll have a "whites" forum or two on the site as well and some other features.

As for the WECA Comics Price Guide we're working on, the consensus was that we should plow ahead on it and get it out by Labour Day for Fan Expo in Toronto and not wait for the Clink auctions. No matter when we put the guide out, the prices will be outdated on the day that it's published like any other price guide and since it's main purpose is to be the first real informative checklist of these books we shouldn't be hung up on the prices listed as the main thing.

Thanks, I've stopped writing the column for Comic Book Daily due to an editorial conflict but we are revamping our "whites" website, Canada's Own Comics ( http://canadasowncomics.com/ ) and the new iteration should appear sometime in July. I'll be doing my column there and we'll have a "whites" forum or two on the site as well and some other features.

As for the WECA Comics Price Guide we're working on, the consensus was that we should plow ahead on it and get it out by Labour Day for Fan Expo in Toronto and not wait for the Clink auctions. No matter when we put the guide out, the prices will be outdated on the day that it's published like any other price guide and since it's main purpose is to be the first real informative checklist of these books we shouldn't be hung up on the prices listed as the main thing.

Hey Ivan,

I'd urge you to reconsider. The books are rare enough and trade rarely enough that the 'outdated on the day in comes out' has less sway than for most comics.

If it were me I'd publish a checklist only without prices at all, but if you're going to have prices, you might as well use the greatest set of auction data... well, ever?

Hey Ivan,

I'd urge you to reconsider. The books are rare enough and trade rarely enough that the 'outdated on the day in comes out' has less sway than for most comics.

If it were me I'd publish a checklist only without prices at all, but if you're going to have prices, you might as well use the greatest set of auction data... well, ever?

I concur... forget doing a price guide...

So, I was looking at some old kids books at a local Value Village when I came across a Purple Rider comic tattoo transferred into the front end-page of a Bobbsey Twins book. I never look at old kid's books, so serendipity was smiling on me.

I suspect that this is from the first of the two sets that Anglo American released during its run. Can anyone confirm this?

163084.jpg.ab4479cfd8fad321e18d03f84b8b4dbe.jpg