• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

So, I was looking at some old kids books at a local Value Village when I came across a Purple Rider comic tattoo transferred into the front end-page of a Bobbsey Twins book. I never look at old kid's books, so serendipity was smiling on me.

I suspect that this is from the first of the two sets that Anglo American released during its run. Can anyone confirm this?

Anglo%20Transfers_zpsh6ys07y6.jpg

Anglo%20Transfer%202_zpstiwzwhav.jpg

Anglo%20Transfer%201_zpsm04zsx26.jpg

Thanks for this, Stephen. Given that these were not intended to be kept, I was not hopeful that anyone would have unused sets. If anyone would, I'm not surprised it's you. It's incredible that an unused set would have survived and given that these were mail order only its awesome that you have both sets! Thanks for sharing and confirming that the tattoo I found was from the first set.

Has anyone else ever found one or more of these tattoos attached to something like I did this morning?

I am having trouble deciding whether or not I should cut the page out of the Bobbsey Twins book and frame it or if I should keep the book intact. What do you folks think?

I've shown this one over in the pulps, but I don't think I've posted it over here in the Canadian thread:

DocSavageCan4212.jpg

The US issue with the story was July 1942, so it had the generic "Flag" cover that all the Street & Smith issues had that month. Not sure if this was the only new cover for the Canadian series, though.

I've shown this one over in the pulps, but I don't think I've posted it over here in the Canadian thread:

DocSavageCan4212.jpg

The US issue with the story was July 1942, so it had the generic "Flag" cover that all the Street & Smith issues had that month. Not sure if this was the only new cover for the Canadian series, though.

I bought comic books at that address many times as a young pup. I can't believe / didn't realize it had sold comics since the 40s. mind blown.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=c1b5ba9b-e2fa-43d9-9ace-843ca4d4e2cd

excerpt:

"Part of Vancouver's history, the store opened in 1946, as Ted Fraser's Book Bin at 1247 Granville at Davie. The original location was 6,000 square feet on two floors and one of the largest used bookstores in Western Canada. In 1963, Fraser and his manager, Eiran Harris, were charged with "possession of obscene material for the purpose of publication, distribution or circulation" when police seized several naughty titles, such as Whip Some More My Lady and Sin Teacher. They appealed all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, but were eventually convicted and fined $3,400. The store changed names, and hands, a few times before Mabee bought the business in 1988."

Sadly, it had to change location a few years back and is now out of business, but it was a fixture for a long time. GIven the 1946 opening date, it probably sold the tail end of the whites in Vancouver right out of that location.

DocSavageCan4212.jpg

I bought comic books at that address many times as a young pup. I can't believe / didn't realize it had sold comics since the 40s. mind blown.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=c1b5ba9b-e2fa-43d9-9ace-843ca4d4e2cd

excerpt:

"Part of Vancouver's history, the store opened in 1946, as Ted Fraser's Book Bin at 1247 Granville at Davie. The original location was 6,000 square feet on two floors and one of the largest used bookstores in Western Canada. In 1963, Fraser and his manager, Eiran Harris, were charged with "possession of obscene material for the purpose of publication, distribution or circulation" when police seized several naughty titles, such as Whip Some More My Lady and Sin Teacher. They appealed all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, but were eventually convicted and fined $3,400. The store changed names, and hands, a few times before Mabee bought the business in 1988."

Sadly, it had to change location a few years back and is now out of business, but it was a fixture for a long time. GIven the 1946 opening date, it probably sold the tail end of the whites in Vancouver right out of that location.

It's always sad when a good bookstore goes away.

It's interesting to me just how much this copy has traveled up and down the coast. Released in 1942, wound up in Vancouver at some point after the war. Made its way down to San Fransisco somewhere in the next 50-60 years, where my sister bought it as a birthday gift for me at Kayo Books, and now it's in the Seattle area in my collection.

I think that I am going to leave it in the book for now, but I noticed that the tattoo is starting to rub off on the dust jacket, so I might have to address this down the road.

This is just ridiculous :o

Sold on Ebay $1500.00 USD with the Buy It Now (one of Bruno's books)

This is obviously an outlier sale/anomaly but nevertheless, insane :insane::facepalm:

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Three-Aces-Comics-V2-8-Anglo-American-1943-CANADIAN-EDITION-/351156940286?hash=item51c295adfe:g:HxgAAOSwxH1T~gJ~

_57_zpsmc5rejbb.jpg

Edited by eccomic

that's the craziest sale I've ever seen. High prices on the better books I can sort of get, but crazy prices on american re-dos... ugh.

Well, as you said, that's an outlier for sure.

Bruno has been hoarding these books for so long that he is the only person who ever seems to have them for sale on eBay. Despite the outrageous prices of all of his WECA books and my disappointment at the price gouging taking place, I feel like it was an inevitability that someone would get sucked into the hype and overpay for one of Bruno's books eventually. I am curious as to whether or not he actually got paid for the comic or will end up relisting it.

A few of his books sell from time to time. There are a couple that I think are almost worth it where I have thought about it a few times, but I just can't bring myself to do it :insane:

A few of his books sell from time to time. There are a couple that I think are almost worth it where I have thought about it a few times, but I just can't bring myself to do it :insane:

What he said....