• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Starting with ComicLink's Summer Featured Auction, you will see several hundred CGC graded Canadian Whites listed at auction over the next few months. There is a range of grades (from Incomplete to 9.0) but if you check out the auction preview: http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/preview.asp?code=2016aug you will see we have already listed some that are very notable for their high grades. Over the next several months, we'll be listing examples from a broader range of titles. A couple years ago, we auctioned what was then the largest offering of CGC graded Canadian comics that had been brought to auction. As a Golden Age collector who had seen very little in the way of Canadian Whites, I immediately fell in love with them (but no, I do not actively collect them at this time.) Most of the prices we realized at auction were very impressive, with many that were, well, shocking. With respect to the discussion above relating to a possible price guide and the dearth of actual sales data, I think the sale of these books will certainly add some perspective.

the consignments are lovely. How many books came we expect in this first auction roughly? I see there are about 15 so far

Hey man,

Still figuring it all out, actually, with more coming back from CGC.

:o:o:o:applause:(worship)

Of course virtually none of us, myself included, will be able to acquire any of them, as they will realize insane prices at auction end. This is fueled by the hype over Canadian Whites. Very frustrating indeed. :(

I do not intend on paying obscene amounts of money for books that I would be completing with many others at auction end, like vultures on carrion.

rantrant

You sandbagger. Cut it out.

:shy:

It's in US $ and has to be to relate to the overall market.

I agree overall... but still the fact is, when the forex is at 1.5 these books are softer in USD terms. Do they follow the forex rate exactly - no - but there's an impact for sure. There's no way they purely track the USD because all of the collectors for these items are Cdns and when the forex rate is way up its hard to buy and we bid less.

I realize that there is a nice looking Super Duper # 3 on eBay right now, which I assume is why buttock is asking about it. Isn't Triumph # 31 the true first appearance of Mr. Monster?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Duper-Comics-3-F-E-Howard-Pub-1947-RARE-CANADIAN-EDITION-1st-Mr-Monster-/351448174382?hash=item51d3f18f2e:g:UqgAAOSwyQtVnETU

Nah, I was asking because it's the only Canadian book I've ever really been interested. Goes back to reading Mr. Monster as a kid.

I am very glad to read this, Ivan. People can ask whatever they want for the things that they have for sale, but price guides should reflect accurate sales data (when possible). I am also glad to read that in lieu of the CLINK auctions that the guide will be delayed in order to account for what will be important sales data.

Like Bronty, I prefer to interpret market data myself, so my interest in the guide is more for its value as a reference text and all of the other bits that will be included. Despite this, my impression is that price guides still have a large amount of cachet with a large number of people, particularly petty dabblers/occasional enthusiasts and people who are not internet savvy. I feel like this is the case in any hobby where price guides are available. Of course, this statement is based entirely on anecdotal evidence. I know numerous people who rely on Overstreet for everything when it comes to prices, despite the fact that prices of all collectibles are dynamic, while price guides are static snapshots in time.

Edited by ecgt

In today's Edition of SCOOP, the GLOBAL online hobby newsletter :news:

IcomicExchange.com Lists Better Comics # 1:

"On June 1, 2016, Hamilton, Ontario-based International Comic Exchange (ICE) listed a copy of Better Comics #1 CGC 7.0. The comic is one of only two graded 7.0, the highest in the CGC Census.

Better Comics #1 was published by Vancouver’s Maple Leaf Publishing when the Canadian government implemented the War Exchange Conservation Act (WECA). Part of the act banned non-essential imports during the war economy, such as American comic books. Better Comics #1 was followed by a thriving Canadian comic publishing industry during the war years. In 1946 when WECA was repealed, the Canadian comic book industry suffered greatly.

There are very few known copies of Better Comics #1. “We’re thrilled to list this historic first Canadian comic book for sale and we look forward to displaying it for all to see in Niagara Falls on June 4,” ICE administrator Marty Birthelmer said.

ICE has listed the copy of Better Comics #1 CGC 7.0 for $100,000. It was listed in conjunction with the 75th anniversary of Canadian comics on June 4 at Big B Comics and Chapterhouse Publishing at 6465 Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls, ON. The festivities will be held from 7 PM to 9 PM where Better Comics #1 will be on display".

Link:

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=179413

I will be attending this event and I am looking very forward to it.

I will be bringing my copy of Triumph-Adventure Comics # 1 and # 2, albeit not for sale, to put on display for the event as well. (thumbs u

Edited by eccomic

The author of the Hamilton Spectator article quotes me a saying that Better 1 at $100,000 US is "...worth every cent." I never said this when he talked with me and it looks like he came up with this quote from a faulty recollection of our conversation or out of a desire for some sort of melodrama in the piece.

--Ivan

The author of the piece in the Spectator also mentions that Adrian "Daigle" created Nelvana.

The Washington Post had an interesting piece about Adrian Daigle earlier this year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/man-sought-in-threats-case-in-district-arrested-in-maryland/2016/01/26/088fb84a-c432-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html

doh!

Checking the census:... it appears there are now TWO 7.0s. Sounds like we will find out what a 7.0 is worth real soon at clink. I'll take the under on 100k ;)

Checking the census:... it appears there are now TWO 7.0s. Sounds like we will find out what a 7.0 is worth real soon at clink. I'll take the under on 100k ;)

No, unfortunately. But there are a few other 1st issues, but no Better #1.

It seems that in the last five years its the same people buying these books which has 100% created the artificial market. I was buying them because I thought they were cool and canadianana but it is clear that there are people in the hobby who have tried to use their influence to pump up the prices and values of these bookss - which BTW up to a couple of years ago were regarded as mess. Which they 100% are - they are canadian reprints of american material with some less than stellar Canadian material added to fill space printed on the cheapest paper imaginable (war times rations) - and weren't even printed properly.

I thought the comic market was not a bubble industry that could pop at any moment. The clear and sudden pump and dump of these Canadian edition comic books has proven that assumption wrong.

Catch me on the CBSI podcast this week talking about this. To say i'm fired up on the subject would be an understatement.

Jimmy, I am worried that you are confusing the WECA period (all original Canadian content) with the FECA period (predominantly reprints). I recommend familiarizing yourself a bit more with Ivan's articles at Comic Book Daily before recording your podcast.

Jimmy, I am worried that you are confusing the WECA period (all original Canadian content) with the FECA period (predominantly reprints). I recommend familiarizing yourself a bit more with Ivan's articles at Comic Book Daily before recording your podcast.

What he said... :gossip: