• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

little bigger scan..I hope

MrMyst, love the Lightning Comics! And the Active #3 has a great story featuring the Mummy. Really rare, wonderful comics.

Let me know if you ever tire of those old Canadian funny books.

Check the indicia on these late Anglos. A good number of these were printed in Cleveland, Ohio and then distributed in the States. The cover color of the Ohio copies is a little sapped when compared to the Canadian copies printed in Toronto. You'll probably need a magnifying glass because the indicia on these copies is miniscule. This looks like it could be an Ohio copy, Hap. Still nice to have.

Now here is a question. If this Anglo-American was printed in the US, is it still a Canadian comic? Clearly American books that were reprinted in Canada aren't considered to be American comics any more.

My own opinion is that the Ohio Anglos can't be considered to be Canadian comics but are American editions or as CGC might label them "American Variant."

What do you guys think?

Check the indicia on these late Anglos. A good number of these were printed in Cleveland, Ohio and then distributed in the States. The cover color of the Ohio copies is a little sapped when compared to the Canadian copies printed in Toronto. You'll probably need a magnifying glass because the indicia on these copies is miniscule. This looks like it could be an Ohio copy, Hap. Still nice to have.

Now here is a question. If this Anglo-American was printed in the US, is it still a Canadian comic? Clearly American books that were reprinted in Canada aren't considered to be American comics any more.

My own opinion is that the Ohio Anglos can't be considered to be Canadian comics but are American editions or as CGC might label them "American Variant."

What do you guys think?

Hi Ivan :hi: ... Welcome to the boards (thumbs u

Here is a couple of recent additions that just arrived. Excuse the iphone pics, just in the process of getting a new scanner,

Being a classic car fan I just couldn't resist this one:

IMG_0867.jpg

and who isn't a big Torchy fan?

IMG_0869.jpg

Group shot :cloud9:

Canadian editions of Crime Suspenstories # 1-3 printed by Superior publications in Canada entitled Weird Suspenstories. The word "CRIME" was prohibited in use on comic books in Canada and this was the exception William Zimmerman, former publisher of Superior Comics allowed. There were no other issues of Crime Suspenstories, nor were there any issues of Shock Suspenstories published in Canada. To publish a comic displaying the word "Crime" could result in a 2 year prison sentence back in 1951 under the "Davie Fulton" act

I acquired this set back in 2001 and had them certified when CGC first opened its doors. Old label goodness. The set came from George Suarez of New England Comics and originally from Lawrence Watt Evans, Horror writer. I have letters of provenance as such and cherish this set.

Additionally, the three books were published in Grant Geissman's EC Compendium, TALES of TERROR, in the Crime Suspenstories section accordingly. (cover images)

download_zps7asvymou.jpg

Extremely rare and coveted by EC completists.

WSS # 1 Universal CGC 4.0

WSS # 2 Universal CGC 5.5

WSS # 3 Universal CGC 4.5

IMG_3360_zpshmt5j1g1.jpg

IMG_3357_zpsrznqfnyi.jpg

IMG_3355_zpshyhs2apw.jpg

IMG_3346_zpsrwvvdubz.jpg

Edited by eccomic

CBC posted the documentary "Lost Heroes" for free online a couple of weeks ago. There's a short clip of Stephen and his collection in the documentary, as well as an interview with the creator of Crash Carson, Jack Tremblay, around the 23 minute mark. Only the first third of the documentary is about Whites (the rest looks at more recent comics). For your interest, here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2687392459

Cheers,

brian

Edited by ecgt

CBC posted the documentary "Lost Heroes" for free online a couple of weeks ago. There's a short clip of Stephen and his collection in the documentary, as well as an interview with the creator of Crash Carson, Jack Tremblay, around the 23 minute mark. Only the first third of the documentary is about Whites (the rest looks at more recent comics). For your interest, here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2687392459

Cheers,

brian

Thanks for the plug Brian

The stuff that you manage to dig up never ceases to amaze me. And here I thought that Rucker was the only company that had any significant distribution in the UK...