• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can answer that but I don't want to spoil anything so it's in a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

They were jarring with purpose, as in, doesn't explain too much unless you've seen the likes of suicide squad and that lady so to speak.

If it did, maybe a little, I found the justice society more jarring in purpose than Adam, but they weren't the main drawing attraction at first. If anything that was of the modern human condition to be explained, imo, it was through the eyes of the people. It did mention powers, to correct my original statement, but it was a lot like as a matter of fact. Like you didn't say these are the members and Everytime they mentioned the name to introduce it showed a display, like it would in comics or cartoons. So not over the top! It just rattled them off, but waits for illustration for when they're used for purpose. The reason I say it might delve a little through "eyes of a god" for black Adam, is because that was the main purpose of story, like he still had a more human plight to it. Just the plight doesn't kick in the feels like the first movie, as it's a result from oppression in a different way. Ways not too kindred of "America" too much but in a way. 

Thanks for sharing this.

In your opinion, does it try to remind the audience that this is a guy that truly is not a hero to begin with due to his approach in dealing with those that are counter to his world view? I just wonder if they were trying to keep that going as otherwise later when Shazam and a certain someone have to take him on it doesn't fall into the Batman v Superman trap some general audiences had (WHY ARE HEROES FIGHTING ONE ANOTHER??).

At least with a Deadpool that started out as a semi-villain/anti-hero that later became more wild-azz hero it's easy to bake him out as a oddball with a different view on life. He's supposed to be loaded with comedy scenes while performing action. A darker character, maybe not so much?

On 10/19/2022 at 8:12 PM, D2 said:

Yes. I am the troll. 
Good plot twist. Which boards are you lurking in again?

But I’ll tell you what, slugger. 
I’ll even let you have the last word. You can reply to me, and I won’t even respond. I’ll just read what you wrote, and that way you can go on with your life, thinking you are the best. 

Cheers, “pal”

:roflmao:

Okay!

On 10/19/2022 at 7:16 PM, Bosco685 said:

Thanks for sharing this.

In your opinion, does it try to remind the audience that this is a guy that truly is not a hero to begin with due to his approach in dealing with those that are counter to his world view? I just wonder if they were trying to keep that going as otherwise later when Shazam and a certain someone have to take him on it doesn't fall into the Batman v Superman trap some general audiences had (WHY ARE HEROES FIGHTING ONE ANOTHER??).

At least with a Deadpool that started out as a semi-villain/anti-hero that later became more wild-azz hero it's easy to bake him out as a oddball with a different view on life. He's supposed to be loaded with comedy scenes while performing action. A darker character, maybe not so much?

It portrays it, it doesn't sum it up as succinctly yes and no style. It sets it up as a warning, and hold the line. Makes it seem if the unstoppable was ever to be Gung ho in the wrong direction, that there would be checks and balances kind of thing. :)

I get the media might have more of a preview of what is actually to eventually happen, but it left off to where the warning was meant to continue to be enforced. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It portrays it, it doesn't sum it up as succinctly yes and no style. It sets it up as a warning, and hold the line. Makes it seem if the unstoppable was ever to be Gung ho in the wrong direction, that there would be checks and balances kind of thing. :)

I get the media might have more of a preview of what is actually to eventually happen, but it left off to where the warning was meant to continue to be enforced. 

I edited, but can say it better.

@Bosco685 it's unclear what Black Adam world view is! What is perceived is not denied, and the presumtion lives on with a warning. Any other day, it could go either way in the big picture, that circumstances do matter when it comes to black adam. The previous reasons, and reason for concern is not denied though.  :)

I'm just not sure what the catalyst will be if there is a next time, the unknown for me, and believing everyone has heart.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess we all will know soon enough. Amazing we are deep into October already.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I edited, but can say it better.

@Bosco685 it's unclear what Black Adam world view is! What is perceived is not denied, and the presumtion lives on with a warning. Any other day, it could go either way in the big picture, that circumstances do matter when it comes to black adam. The previous reasons, and reason for concern is not denied though.  :)

I'm just not sure what the catalyst will be if there is a next time, the unknown for me, and believing everyone has heart.

Lol auto correct another edit. :sorry:

On 10/19/2022 at 8:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

Odd because how is Doctor Fate, Hawkman, Atom Smasher or Cyclone like Gotham? That was just an odd toss-in comment. And then noting a photocopy of the MCU - has it rolled out an anti-hero movie I missed?

It just doesn't add up. Please make this 'legit issue' make sense.

You are reading the review too literally and expecting it to be making an exact 1 for 1 comparison; not all characters mentioned are from Gotham or the MCU - obviously, just that perhaps the feeling they invoked in the critic felt like something ripped from a show (in quality, or acting, or some other respect) or another film. The writer is simply using shorthand to express his idea - don't take it so literally. It's the same when people here say something looks like it was from the CW (they don't mean the character was literally adapted on a previous CW show)

Doctor Fate could easily, and understandably, come across as something casual movie goers have seen before in the way of Doctor Strange, while the others are not necessarily bringing anything new to the table visually or story wise. This isn't a knock against Black Adam, it just makes sense at this point in the superhero genre things (power sets, costumes, origin stories, whatever) start to feel less special and played out, requiring something more to impress people in an otherwise average movie. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, Sauce Dog said:

You are reading the review too literally and expecting it to be making an exact 1 for 1 comparison; not all characters mentioned are from Gotham or the MCU - obviously, just that perhaps the feeling they invoked in the critic felt like something ripped from a show (in quality, or acting, or some other respect) or another film. The writer is simply using shorthand to express his idea - don't take it so literally. It's the same when people here say something looks like it was from the CW (they don't mean the character was literally adapted on a previous CW show)

Doctor Fate could easily, and understandably, come across as something casual movie goers have seen before in the way of Doctor Strange, while the others are not necessarily bringing anything new to the table visually or story wise. This isn't a knock against Black Adam, it just makes sense at this point in the superhero genre things (power sets, costumes, origin stories, whatever) start to feel less special and played out, requiring something more to impress people in an otherwise average movie. 

I could see after all the comic book shows and movies it can become a challenge to bring in unique new characters without some effort.

But my question is not about exact versions of characters from something else. Although there have been solid Doctor Fate portrayals in Smallville, Stargirl and in Young Justice (along with multiple other animated productions). Gotham purposely portrayed characters in a campy way to make them unique, interesting to the audience and funny when necessary. By the critic using Gotham as a reference point, he purposely would be conveying the characters are similar in design to the show. Otherwise, why use it as a reference point? Just from the trailers, none of the characters came across as campy nor the design of the movie story.

I just assumed you were familiar with the Gotham show.

All I want to know is , has Scott mendelson at forbes loved it yet ?

Has Luiz on Twitter posted a meme of dollar bills falling all over Dwayne Johnson yet ? 

Haa deadline blamed "covid" or streaming yet? (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/20/2022 at 5:50 AM, Jaydogrules said:

All I want to know is , has Scott mendelson at forbes loved it yet ?

Has Luiz on Twitter posted a meme of dollar bills falling all over Dwayne Johnson yet ? 

Haa deadline blamed "covid" or streaming yet? (shrug)

-J.

Has anyone made up marketing expenses or grabbed the highest production number rumor as THE most accurate $$ while they told tales of doom how the film must make $1B?

Asking for those that haven't experienced this Mad Hatter ride previously.

tumblr_nyi5uby6aV1rdutw3o1_400.gif.c2ba6478a502fc8cac087d76c8b55d0c.gif

:baiting:

Is anyone going to disagree on this about why the WB/DC strategy has been at times very confusing?

But that emotional attachment to Emmerich and his supposed love of cinema is something many of these critics gravitate towards. So some are going to be offended the big, muscular action dude thinks he knows better. Not to say Black Adam is a 5.0/5 movie at all. But a 1.0-2.0/5 and having no cinematic enjoyment??

On 10/20/2022 at 5:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

I could see after all the comic book shows and movies it can become a challenge to bring in unique new characters without some effort.

But my question is not about exact versions of characters from something else. Although there have been solid Doctor Fate portrayals in Smallville, Stargirl and in Young Justice (along with multiple other animated productions). Gotham purposely portrayed characters in a campy way to make them unique, interesting to the audience and funny when necessary. By the critic using Gotham as a reference point, he purposely would be conveying the characters are similar in design to the show. Otherwise, why use it as a reference point? Just from the trailers, none of the characters came across as campy nor the design of the movie story.

I just assumed you were familiar with the Gotham show.

I'm familiar with the show, the point is when reflecting on the movie (the actual movie, not just conclusions from a trailer you've seen) it clearly reminded the critic of it - perhaps some actors chewed the scenery too much for his liking, or perhaps the dialog was questionable (both of these things you can find in Gotham), or like I said above he might just be using the reference as a literary shorthand (like saying 'its from the CW'). It might not remind others of the same references, but I 100% get the framing and meaning behind his critique (though I might not necessarily end up agreeing with it, but the message is clear to me)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

Is anyone going to disagree on this about why the WB/DC strategy has been at times very confusing?

So I agree with the consensus here that Dwayne Johnson seems like a genuinely good guy.  But I wish he wouldn't be so johnny-one-note about "Doing it all for the fans."  I guess pro wrestling can be 100% fan service, but movies--even comic book movies-- can aspire to be more than that.  The sweet spot will be found when someone creates something that the fans don't know they want but love to death once they encounter it.  :wishluck:

Edited by Zonker
w

On 10/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm familiar with the show, the point is when reflecting on the movie (the actual movie, not just conclusions from a trailer you've seen) it clearly reminded the critic of it - perhaps some actors chewed the scenery too much for his liking, or perhaps the dialog was questionable (both of these things you can find in Gotham), or like I said above he might just be using the reference as a literary shorthand (like saying 'its from the CW'). It might not remind others of the same references, but I 100% get the framing and meaning behind his critique (though I might not necessarily end up agreeing with it, but the message is clear to me)

Either of us serving as the Critic Whisperer without seeing the movie would be guessing at their intent. But their historic actions of rallying around certain comic book productions as long as they brought humor along with storytelling and character development to their specific liking versus from the opinion of general audience appreciation is somewhat constant.

But we are agreed. In the end after watching the film any of us may walk away wondering what film they saw as our experience was better (or the same - or worse).