• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

Variety: ‘Black Adam’ Draws Negative Reviews: Dwayne Johnson’s DC Film Is ‘Repetitive’ and ‘Anti-Entertaining

What concerns me most in the round-up of review snippets Variety includes is the recurring theme that it's a mediocre film whose biggest selling point is the promise that bigger antagonists we actually care about (i.e., Shazam, Superman) will come in the sequel.

Films should be able to stand on their own - and if multiple critics (even the positive ones) are stating the best part is the tease of what a sequel may bring...well, that's a huge miss.

Honestly, these reviews seem in line with what I expected, mid at best, but that's fine for these sort of things. I certainly don't believe there is some mass critic conspiracy (though I've read critics who actively said they would praise certain directors regardless as well, specifically ones for Woody Allen and Tarantino). If one is only reading critic scores for a final number, and is overly concerned with an aggregate score, then it's missing the point of critics (there are some I constantly read who always score stuff I like super low, but they frame it well and I appreciate hearing it). 

This one review below, which seems to have ruffled some feathers, feels authentic and a legit issue. The general audience are not comic book historians, so of course anything that is similar to prior releases will feel ripped off and if they are not doing something unique with these similar characters there is greater risk of landing flat (the point it; we've seen all this spectacle before, and in some cases those earlier/cheaper depictions might have felt better/fresh). And I don't think anyone here would argue that the Rock and the rest of the marketing team on this movie hasn't been over testing and working this movie hard for years (One of my two main concerns with this movie over the last year was it might succumb to feeling overly-refined-by-committee and the CGI wouldn't get the treatment it required, at least with the latter I have heard nothing bad thus far)

FfYjDHCWABIucRk.jpeg.3efb35a7d92e21e6a0148c9fff2a165a.jpeg.e8938ca539112ce3d6d222cf2d160952.jpeg

On 10/18/2022 at 10:22 PM, Cat said:

Addy, how was the JSA? Did it hint at more members? Did we see or hear evidence of more members? 

@ADAMANTIUM

I can answer that but I don't want to spoil anything so it's in a spoiler.

Spoiler

They were jarring with purpose, as in, doesn't explain too much unless you've seen the likes of suicide squad and that lady so to speak.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

Thanks for sharing this. As many times the critics (who are movie industry people more than anything else) will gauge a film based on how they feel a story should be told. And throw in 'facts' to back their arguments why comic books are silly or even mind-warping (see Joker reviews where critics misstate the character influenced the Aurora massacre).

From the earlier reviews it sounds like this is a big CBM action-focused experience and not a deep game-changing opinion on the modern human condition and the self-destructive nature of mankind told through the eyes of a god.

If it did, maybe a little, I found the justice society more jarring in purpose than Adam, but they weren't the main drawing attraction at first. If anything that was of the modern human condition to be explained, imo, it was through the eyes of the people. It did mention powers, to correct my original statement, but it was a lot like as a matter of fact. Like you didn't say these are the members and Everytime they mentioned the name to introduce it showed a display, like it would in comics or cartoons. So not over the top! It just rattled them off, but waits for illustration for when they're used for purpose. The reason I say it might delve a little through "eyes of a god" for black Adam, is because that was the main purpose of story, like he still had a more human plight to it. Just the plight doesn't kick in the feels like the first movie, as it's a result from oppression in a different way. Ways not too kindred of "America" too much but in a way. 

If anything, I took my brother.

He didn't really want to see it because he's tired of seeing origin movies!

Which when you think about it, all recently whether Jane Foster Thor or gorr kind of were ....

This one does a good job of incorporating the "origin" per SE into the ongoing story. Like it's not half origin, then the rest fight for your lives. Idk I found it enjoyable but might be preaching at this point 😂

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Well, it's too bad that the critics don't seem to care for this movie as I'd hoped it might be good and ignite some kind of rivalry with the MCU to help push them to be better.  On the other hand, as noted above, critics frequently don't like movies that I do like in many cases because they're trying to show off how sophisticated they are, so I'm probably seeing this anyway.

I hope there's more to the plot here than the basic hook - "It's the Rock, and he's a bad guy (/anti-hero)" (since...what? when he first played The Scorpion King?)

Also hope it's at least as entertaining as Hancock - "What if our superhero was a nihilistic drunk?"

For all its 3rd-act flaws, I really liked Hancock and the Charlize Theron twist -- plus, it's easy to forget that it out-grossed Iron Man in total global box office that year.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:51 AM, fmaz said:

I think maybe I’m in the minority here, but on the movie side I REALLY don’t think there is any rivalry at all at this point… far from it, in fact.

And NOT because I’m saying the MCU is this gigantic behemoth and the DCEU is a gnat so what they do doesn’t matter or something dismissive like that.

I’m ignoring, for a moment (and forever if I could) those who whine and complain about these movies and actively HATE some of the stuff the MCU has put out. If that’s your jam, great. But the fact is, if like me you grew up reading comics in the 70’s and the 80’s, this is a magical time for movies. My kid-self could never have imagined all of this.  So I think it’s all great.

And while the DC-Marvel comic company rivalry was real in the day, as they fought for market share and all that… on the screen? A rising tide lifts all boats.

Marvel/Disney WANTS Black Adam to be great… because people thinking they saw another great comic movie gets them more psyched for Wakanda Forever. The DCEU is thrilled when people are getting into WandaVision and MOM… because when Flash comes out and they’re brining out their version of the multiverse, they’ll have an audience much more ready to understand and accept it. 

In short, I really do think both companies want each other to succeed, because it’s good for each other and their various bottom lines and the long term prospect of continuing to keep the content flowing.  Which is why as comics fans, shouldn’t we root for the same thing too?

Oh, I agree completely on all points.  I've been ridiculed on here for saying I go into every MCU movie wanting it to be great and giving it the benefit of the doubt (at least until I've actually seen it, which is more than some appear willing to do).  I feel about the MCU just as I did about Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies - I love the source material and want the movies to capture how great it is.  The joy and hope I felt when I saw the first Fellowship of the Ring trailer where they're hiking across the mountains can't be overstated and the movies, while not perfect, lived up to my very, very high expectations.  BUT if an MCU film is not good (I'm looking at you Thor: Love and Thunder) I also have no problem saying it sucked.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:44 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Oh, I agree completely on all points.  I've been ridiculed on here for saying I go into every MCU movie wanting it to be great and giving it the benefit of the doubt (at least until I've actually seen it, which is more than some appear willing to do).  I feel about the MCU just as I did about Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies - I love the source material and want the movies to capture how great it is.  The joy and hope I felt when I saw the first Fellowship of the Ring trailer where they're hiking across the mountains can't be overstated and the movies, while not perfect, lived up to my very, very high expectations.  BUT if an MCU film is not good (I'm looking at you Thor: Love and Thunder) I also have no problem saying it sucked.

Me too :x

I do realize, as my brother said when I took him, there seems to be a lot of orgins, and they tend to use origins to tell a new story, as if that's what makes it new. :(

Hits the nail on the head, but I do realize they only have 2 hours for these ventures. It takes away the substance, when they can just throw a new character in there. I actually don't blame the critics too much, as it all seems to advertise and introduce the "new", but can logically look like repackaging. :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't think anyone actually wants a movie to suck, do they?

I don't want anything to suck. I want everything to be awesome.

I want my movie that I watch to be awesome. I want the dinner I am eating to be awesome. I want the clothes that I wear, and the car that I drive... I want my job that I do, and my family, all to be awesome.

I want everything to be awesome, but when it's not awesome, then I get disappointed. When it sucks, well, then I get angry

With all of the knowledge and artistic advancements we have today, nothing should suck. With all of the resources, fans, source material, enthusiasm, and pride that we all have, nothing should suck.

Yet, things still suck. So I think it's fair for people to be angry and voice their opinions when they do suck, because they shouldn't suck. We are past that. This is not the dark ages, this is the information age, and information is power. And we have the power to make everything awesome.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, fmaz said:

I think maybe I’m in the minority here, but on the movie side I REALLY don’t think there is any rivalry at all at this point… far from it, in fact.

And NOT because I’m saying the MCU is this gigantic behemoth and the DCEU is a gnat so what they do doesn’t matter or something dismissive like that.

I’m ignoring, for a moment (and forever if I could) those who whine and complain about these movies and actively HATE some of the stuff the MCU has put out. If that’s your jam, great. But the fact is, if like me you grew up reading comics in the 70’s and the 80’s, this is a magical time for movies. My kid-self could never have imagined all of this.  So I think it’s all great.

And while the DC-Marvel comic company rivalry was real in the day, as they fought for market share and all that… on the screen? A rising tide lifts all boats.

Marvel/Disney WANTS Black Adam to be great… because people thinking they saw another great comic movie gets them more psyched for Wakanda Forever. The DCEU is thrilled when people are getting into WandaVision and MOM… because when Flash comes out and they’re brining out their version of the multiverse, they’ll have an audience much more ready to understand and accept it. 

In short, I really do think both companies want each other to succeed, because it’s good for each other and their various bottom lines and the long term prospect of continuing to keep the content flowing.  Which is why as comics fans, shouldn’t we root for the same thing too?

Kevin Feige has actually said the very same thing. Rather than making an ugly situation based on studio assumed loyalty based on a comic book brand name, give them all a chance to succeed, land midland or fail.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, D2 said:

I don't think anyone actually wants a movie to suck, do they?

Spoiler

I don't want anything to suck. I want everything to be awesome.

I want my movie that I watch to be awesome. I want the dinner I am eating to be awesome. I want the clothes that I wear, and the car that I drive... I want my job that I do, and my family, all to be awesome.

I want everything to be awesome, but when it's not awesome, then I get disappointed. When it sucks, well, then I get angry

With all of the knowledge and artistic advancements we have today, nothing should suck. With all of the resources, fans, source material, enthusiasm, and pride that we all have, nothing should suck.

Yet, things still suck. So I think it's fair for people to be angry and voice their opinions when they do suck, because they shouldn't suck. We are past that. This is not the dark ages, this is the information age, and information is power. And we have the power to make everything awesome.

You should talk with this fella. Not sure why anyone would laugh over a negative comic book movie review.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:25 PM, D2 said:

Hahahahahhahaha!!!

Epic review. 

Spoiler

C4F626E2-A04B-4A8D-91B5-1121561F0886.jpeg

:baiting:

On 10/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

You should talk with this fella. Not sure why anyone would laugh over a negative comic book movie review.

:baiting:

Apparently can’t read well. 

Shame.

You should try to actually read what I wrote. 

Or you can continue on your existence, repeating your actions over and over and over and over again. In your endless loop. 

If I was a betting man, well, let’s just say, you don’t strike me as a person of change. 

On 10/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Honestly, these reviews seem in line with what I expected, mid at best, but that's fine for these sort of things. I certainly don't believe there is some mass critic conspiracy (though I've read critics who actively said they would praise certain directors regardless as well, specifically ones for Woody Allen and Tarantino). If one is only reading critic scores for a final number, and is overly concerned with an aggregate score, then it's missing the point of critics (there are some I constantly read who always score stuff I like super low, but they frame it well and I appreciate hearing it). 

This one review below, which seems to have ruffled some feathers, feels authentic and a legit issue. The general audience are not comic book historians, so of course anything that is similar to prior releases will feel ripped off and if they are not doing something unique with these similar characters there is greater risk of landing flat (the point it; we've seen all this spectacle before, and in some cases those earlier/cheaper depictions might have felt better/fresh). And I don't think anyone here would argue that the Rock and the rest of the marketing team on this movie hasn't been over testing and working this movie hard for years (One of my two main concerns with this movie over the last year was it might succumb to feeling overly-refined-by-committee and the CGI wouldn't get the treatment it required, at least with the latter I have heard nothing bad thus far)

FfYjDHCWABIucRk.jpeg.3efb35a7d92e21e6a0148c9fff2a165a.jpeg.e8938ca539112ce3d6d222cf2d160952.jpeg

Odd because how is Doctor Fate, Hawkman, Atom Smasher or Cyclone like Gotham? That was just an odd toss-in comment. And then noting a photocopy of the MCU - has it rolled out an anti-hero movie I missed?

It just doesn't add up. Please make this 'legit issue' make sense.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, D2 said:

Apparently can’t read well. 

Shame.

You should try to actually read what I wrote. 

Or you can continue on your existence, repeating your actions over and over and over and over again. In your endless loop. 

If I was a betting man, well, let’s just say, you don’t strike me as a person of change. 

My reading is quite on-point. And your continuous trolling with certain properties are too.

Be more open. Less of your same. And I bet you will see such non-biased opinions are more valued.

Or pretend I can't read.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

My reading is quite on-point. And your continuous trolling with certain properties are too.

Be more open. Less of your same. And I bet you will see such non-biased opinions are more valued.

Or pretend I can't read.

Yes. I am the troll. 
Good plot twist. Which boards are you lurking in again?

But I’ll tell you what, slugger. 
I’ll even let you have the last word. You can reply to me, and I won’t even respond. I’ll just read what you wrote, and that way you can go on with your life, thinking you are the best. 

Cheers, “pal”