• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE starring Jared Leto (2022)
4 4

541 posts in this topic

Speaking to Screen Rant about the new MCU/Sony hybrid film, Leto was asked to describe what audiences are in for, to which he said he "doesn't know if it's describable" and that he's "excited by Dr. Michael Morbius." Leto goes on to say that he's "honored" to bring the character to life on screen, something which he notes is becoming more difficult, as there are "so many of these great characters" already in their own movies. The actor, who is appearing in Ridley Scott's House of Gucci later this month, goes on to say that he hopes audiences will head into the theater to see Morbius on its release.

Exclusive: "I don't know if it's describable! But I'm excited by Dr. Michael Morbius. I really am so honored to bring a character to life for the very first time on screen. And that's harder and harder, because there's so many of these great characters that have already been on screen ... That was something that was really exciting to me and I think it's a film that, after all that we've gone through the past couple of years, just get in the movie theater and have a great time. And I hope that's what people take from 'House of Gucci' and from 'Morbius.' "

Before Morbius hits theaters, Sony is in the midst of promoting Spider-Man: No Way Home, and Holland teased he wants to see his Spider-Man fight Morbius in a future film. In an interview with Fandango, the actor was asked what villain he would want to see take on next. Holland quickly responded that he thinks the new Morbius movie "looks really cool," and liked the idea of Spider-Man fighting a vampire.

Unless I'm mis-interpreting it the post-credit scene in No Way Home appears to solidly establish the Sony-verse as a different universe from the MCU.  Which doesn't surprise me; it's what I expected given that Feige doesn't want works in there that didn't cooperate with their own with the exceptions being the very best of the non-MCU characters including Daredevil, Kingpin, and Deadpool.

So I have to assume Morbius is in the Sony-verse.  I don't have high expectations for this film, but eh, I'm hoping for the best.  Trailer is decent, but it doesn't give me confidence it still doesn't have plenty of room to be terrible.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 12/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, Larryw7 said:

Why is the Vulture in the Sonyverse? 

Although produced by Marvel Studios, it is a Sony film. Even with the distribution, it is Sony Pictures.

Then why define the Venom we saw in the movies as being in a separate universe in the No Way Home post-credits scene?  You essentially seem to be saying there's no difference in the universes, and if that's the case I REALLY need an explanation for why Brock didn't know who Spider-Man or the Avengers are or why he suddenly disappeared at the end of the scene.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 12/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, Larryw7 said:

Why is the Vulture in the Sonyverse? 

Although produced by Marvel Studios, it is a Sony film. Even with the distribution, it is Sony Pictures.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:51 PM, fantastic_four said:

Then why define the Venom we saw in the movies as being in a separate universe in the No Way Home post-credits scene?  You essentially seem to be saying there's no difference in the universes, and if that's the case I REALLY need an explanation for why Brock didn't know who Spider-Man or the Avengers are or why he suddenly disappeared at the end of the scene.

Based on the Sony-Marvel Studios agreement even they acknowledge the give-and-take arrangement they have worked out of passing characters back and forth to support each other's universe.

Now as far as Eddie Brock not knowing of the Avengers, or even Peter Parker, yet the spelled pulled him into the MCU Earth-616 Universe, I guess that will come in time. But there is a theory recognizing there is a connection across Spidey franchises.

What Spider-Man: No Way Home Means for the Future of Venom

Spoiler

'The big question is, how did they get there in the first place? Because the initial botched spell only applied to people who knew that Peter Parker was Spider-Man, we have to assume that means this version of Venom also knew Peter Parker. And that means that the Venom from Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 that knew Peter Parker is somehow connected to Tom Hardy’s Venom or is potentially just the same Venom, hence being ripped from his universe and dumped into a resort town in the MCU.

Venom told Eddie in the post credits of Venom: Let There Be Carnage that symbiotes have traveled far and wide across the cosmos and the multiverse, so it’s entirely possible the film versions of Venom have some kind of shared knowledge through their experiences in different universes. WandaVision also introduced the idea of a Nexus Being to the MCU. Could Venom, like Scarlet Witch, be one of these anchor-like beings, sitting across the multiverse who can impact the flow of time?'

With the other Raimi franchise characters appearing, and the Hive Mind going back thousands of years across the Marvel Multiverse, unknowingly if this Venom had reflected on the Hive history he would have access to Topher Grace's Venom.

Thanks for posting that post-credits scene...now we know why the hotel room changed entirely in it--it was Venom being pulled into the MCU from the Sonyverse.  At the time I had no idea what it meant and had forgotten about it.

He shouldn't know Peter, but hey, I bet we never get an explanation for that, and comics fans already know how he knows Peter.  So it's a bit goofy, but eh, I'll look past it.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:32 PM, fantastic_four said:

Thanks for posting that post-credits scene...now we know why the hotel room changed entirely in it--it was Venom being pulled into the MCU from the Sonyverse.  At the time I had no idea what it meant and had forgotten about it.

He shouldn't know Peter, but hey, I bet we never get an explanation for that, and comics fans already know how he knows Peter.  So it's a bit goofy, but eh, I'll look past it.

I would posit that in the "Carnage" trailer, Venom recognizes the name "Peter Parker" and associates it with Spider-Man from the Tobey Venom's experience with him, but if you just showed him a picture of Tom Holland, he would not know that is Peter Parker or Spider-Man.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 12/18/2021 at 7:32 PM, fantastic_four said:

I would posit that in the "Carnage" trailer, Venom recognizes the name "Peter Parker" and associates it with Spider-Man from the Tobey Venom's experience with him, but if you just showed him a picture of Tom Holland, he would not know that is Peter Parker or Spider-Man.

Within the context of Venom telling Brock about the experiences of the symbiote hive mind across the multiverse that makes sense.  I guess.  Nice observation.  (thumbsu  Anyone know if the idea that they're a hive mind that spans the multiverse was drawn from the comics, or did they just make that up in these post-credit scenes?

Still trying to gain appreciation for multiverses.  My original experience with them was with "Crisis on Infinite Earths" back in 1985.  I was 14 at the time and thought the whole multiverse idea was dumb, and I pretty much still do.  But I'm making maximum effort to keep an open mind.  :angel:  Mostly out of respect for Kevin Feige, but also because he's not leaving me much choice.  :ohnoez:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I completely agree.  I lump "multi-verse" in with "time travel" as some kind of cheat.  Literally anything can happen - no solution to a problem has to make any sense at all.  Magic's kind of the same.

Yep, that's exactly my thinking as well.  Anything goes!  Writer's easy way out.