• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 8

245 posts in this topic

Now you're ripping into Banner's auction scans?

sleeping.gif

Give him a break. He is trying to be helpful poke2.gif

Kiltman, being helpful involves providing the tips on improving the scans and does not involve simply pointing out what's wrong with the scans. If you want me to be helpful to you in the latter manner, please LMK tongue.gif

Being helpful would also imply discussing the points I brought up about the scans in the contest. If you disagree, fine. But at least give evidence that you have a clue about what's being discussed. But the heavy intellectuals on the boards obviously aren't up to that.

They'd rather post cheese. poke2.gif

sleeping.gif

Kiltman, being helpful involves providing the tips on improving the scans and does not involve simply pointing out what's wrong with the scans. If you want me to be helpful to you in the latter manner, please LMK tongue.gif

Being helpful would also imply discussing the points I brought up about the scans in the contest. If you disagree, fine. But at least give evidence that you have a clue about what's being discussed. But the heavy intellectuals on the boards obviously aren't up to that.

Wouldn't your time be better spent trying to find my ebay shills? gossip.gif

sleeping.gif

I know what we're discussing. It's Greggy's choice of Groovy & Rabbitty books right insane.gif

Brad, shouldn't you have known Greggy's scans would be off since you've been spending time correcting them for him? Now as to the tanning issue (please let's not get back there), the moment we allowed private PMs with questions to the slab owner we opened this can of worms where people would end up knowing more about the book because they hit the right questions for the right books (let's leave the October Fire not receiving the same info issue aside for a moment). I elected not to ask questions and essentially grade covers (see where that's leaving me + my lack of uber-HG grading knowledge). I am sorry you didn't ask the right question and that FFB gloated about asking the right questions but this has been the premise of the contest ever since we've been working with private PMs as a method to disseminate relevant grading information.

Sooo, what could Dr. Banner do to improve his scans? We could all benefit from your Photoshop knowledge. Btw how are my scans in the Gold threads. What should I improve (remember I am limited by the fact I want the boards to host my files so I have to shoe-horn them to be under 150K - tall order that is)?

Later,

Scrooge

Is that what this is all about? Still pissed that one of the Old Guard got caught shilling one of his auctions?

Why don't you just come out and say what's on your mind instead of pussying around about it. Or maybe you can find a nice scan of Gouda to reply with. poke2.gif

Is that what this is all about? Still pissed that one of the Old Guard got caught shilling one of his auctions?

Why don't you just come out and say what's on your mind instead of pussying around about it. Or maybe you can find a nice scan of Gouda to reply with. poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I know what we're discussing. It's Greggy's choice of Groovy & Rabbitty books right insane.gif

Brad, shouldn't you have known Greggy's scans would be off since you've been spending time correcting them for him? Now as to the tanning issue (please let's not get back there), the moment we allowed private PMs with questions to the slab owner we opened this can of worms where people would end up knowing more about the book because they hit the right questions for the right books (let's leave the October Fire not receiving the same info issue aside for a moment). I elected not to ask questions and essentially grade covers (see where that's leaving me + my lack of uber-HG grading knowledge). I am sorry you didn't ask the right question and that FFB gloated about asking the right questions but this has been the premise of the contest ever since we've been working with private PMs as a method to disseminate relevant grading information.

Sooo, what could Dr. Banner do to improve his scans? We could all benefit from your Photoshop knowledge. Btw how are my scans in the Gold threads. What should I improve (remember I am limited by the fact I want the boards to host my files so I have to shoe-horn them to be under 150K - tall order that is)?

Later,

Scrooge

Scooge,

Thank you for actually addressing the scans. First of all, this isn't about my grade in that round. I might just as well have gotten 1 point whether I knew about the t-word or not. I'm not begrudging anyone's score. I've already told Scott he should have gotten FIVE points for getting that round, even if he was a little quick on the banana. poke2.gif

Ask around....I have NEVER refused anyone help of any kind with their scans, avatars, graphics etc. on the boards. PM me with a specific question and I'll talk you're ear off with all the info I can provide. I haven't seen your scans.....pm me a link and if you want I'll give you my two cents.

What Greggy and I disagreed on is whether or not you can detect the condition of an inside cover from a scan of a book in a slab. Regardless of the darkness of the scan. I say it's too much to ask of most graders, (in this case about 70 of 71 participants didn't even think to ask). I disagreed 100% with his expectations, and said so.

-BREAD

893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously, I think there should be a special Old Fart Forum, where these guys who have been here forever, have nothing constructive left to contribute, and have outstayed their usefulness should just pile in and post food scans at each other and [#@$%!!!] on each other.

It's like they have some vague love of the "good old days" on the boards, which apparently consisted of month-long flame wars, posting gremies and hurling lame gay jokes at Greggy.

They won't ever again have to discuss shilling, pressing, scan manipulation, or restoration etc. They can just hold hands, call each other dillweed once a week and go back to sleep.

Sound good guys? yay.gif

Your meltdown is complete...thanks for playing as it's been a sight to behold! It's been quite awhile since someone has made such a complete @ss of themselves in an afternoon. Only Hammer's meltdown comes to mind...

Jim

They won't ever again have to discuss shilling, pressing, scan manipulation, or restoration etc.

Not to mention discussions regarding "who owns" CGC ...man, was I shown the door on that thread.

Have you noticed Jim, that you've been basically jerking yourself off all morning. Feel good? makepoint.gif

So what's your grade for Round 9?

Actually that's a lovely thought...I see you're projecting now as well. You'd make Freud proud...

Oh and I feel great...been working in the basement in preparation for my move. Thanks for asking... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

I'm not begrudging anyone's score. I've already told Scott he should have gotten FIVE points for getting that round, even if he was a little quick on the banana. poke2.gif

"Quick on the banana." 27_laughing.gif That is obscene, yet strangely funny. yay.gif

I make no apology for my banana-quickness. Besides, when you're not in first place, ya gotta take whatever digs you can, when you can. cloud9.gif

Ask around....I have NEVER refused anyone help of any kind with their scans, avatars, graphics etc. on the boards. PM me with a specific question and I'll talk you're ear off with all the info I can provide. I haven't seen your scans.....pm me a link and if you want I'll give you my two cents.

True, Brad fixed my yellow problem. And I'm not talking about the quick banana either.

What Greggy and I disagreed on is whether or not you can detect the condition of an inside cover from a scan of a book in a slab. Regardless of the darkness of the scan. I say it's too much to ask of most graders, (in this case about 70 of 71 participants didn't even think to ask). I disagreed 100% with his expectations, and said so.

-BREAD

Several people said they noticed the tanning and didn't downgrade for it because they incorrectly thought CGC was easy on tanning. The tanning was obvious. Get over it. yay.gifyay.gifpoke2.gif

Your meltdown is complete...thanks for playing as it's been a sight to behold! It's been quite awhile since someone has made such a complete @ss of themselves in an afternoon. Only Hammer's meltdown comes to mind...

Jim

Man Jim for crying out loud.. just put Brad on ignore willya?

Look at his Custom Title.. he has a huge rep to uphold ya know!..let him rant if he wants to.

It is very clear you dont like him, or the questions he raises...we get that much.

Believe me, you come off much worse trolling him like you are.

Ze-lappy

P.S. Comparing Brad to Hammer.. that is rich. thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Man Jim for crying out loud.. just put Brad on ignore willya?

Look at his Custom Title.. he has a huge rep to uphold ya know!..let him rant if he wants to.

It is very clear you dont like him, or the questions he raises...we get that much.

Believe me, you come off much worse trolling him like you are.

Ze-lappy

P.S. Comparing Brad to Hammer.. that is rich. thumbsup2.gif

pointing.jpglapdog.jpg

poke2.gifyay.gif

Several people said they noticed the tanning and didn't downgrade for it because they incorrectly thought CGC was easy on tanning. The tanning was obvious.

Sure it was obvious....on the outside! My whole point from the very beginning. Stop acting like an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer!

The tanning of the interior covers was serious enough, and not visible at all, and information about it should have been provided up front. And as it turned out, if you didn't phrase your inquiry in just the right way, you got nada. Then it becomes a matter of semantics, and personalities, and not grading.

Several people said they noticed the tanning and didn't downgrade for it because they incorrectly thought CGC was easy on tanning. The tanning was obvious.

Sure it was obvious....on the outside! My whole point from the very beginning. Stop acting like an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer!

The tanning of the interior covers was serious enough, and not visible at all, and information about it should have been provided up front. And as it turned out, if you didn't phrase your inquiry in just the right way, you got nada. Then it becomes a matter of semantics, and personalities, and not grading.

Like I've said at least once already in this thread, tanning usually occurs on both sides of the folio, not just one side. You're not going to get tanning like that on the outside and still have a white interior.

Anyway, if you're arguing that we should get the graders' notes every time up front, you're preaching to the choir, buddy. popcorn.gif

Your points are taken, Scott. We just disagree about the level of obviousness that anything on the outside covers implies about the inside covers. Especially if the brightness and contrast levels of the source scans are off. And I certainly agree that any unseen flaw of that magnitude should be mentioned. thumbsup2.gif