• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 8

245 posts in this topic

You mentioned what the main defect was... after the round was over. And it was a defect not visible in the scans. We should have been supplied with that information to begin with. screwy.gif

When I said a few rounds ago that we need graders' notes every round, I believe I got no backup from anyone and nothing but "We don't need to steenkin graders' notes" from a few others.

I was hoping something like this would happen. yay.gif

If you remember, I supported you. thumbsup2.gif

Will all of my past supporters on this issue please SHUT UP about it? It is making it very hard for me to assume the mantle of martyr if you all keep pointing out that I had support all along. 893censored-thumb.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

insane.gif

You mentioned what the main defect was... after the round was over. And it was a defect not visible in the scans. We should have been supplied with that information to begin with. screwy.gif

When I said a few rounds ago that we need graders' notes every round, I believe I got no backup from anyone and nothing but "We don't need to steenkin graders' notes" from a few others.

Will all of my past supporters on this issue please SHUT UP about it? It is making it very hard for me to assume the mantle of martyr if you all keep pointing out that I had support all along. 893censored-thumb.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

insane.gif

Any more of those $0.01 starting lots coming up eBay? poke2.gif

I missed the tanning because I perceived the edges as having a light dust shadow, and that the cover itself was simply not very bright. I also incorrectly thought that the scan was perhaps a little dull/dark. What also caused me to not consider the possibility of tanning was the OW-W page quality. I missed it. No biggie.

I was talking about this a little with FFB earlier in the day via PM - The Round 8 book is a good example of how the different paper stocks used in covers and interior pages can have radically different acidic properties. Covers also have a tendency to absorb the acid and off-gassing of the interior pages. That's what causes the yellowing that exists in many earlier Marvel silver age books. This is exactly what micro-chamber paper is intended to combat (and why I have started to use it in a few of my raw books), but the damage is usually already done. At least it can help prevent it from getting worse.

insane.gif

I just assumed that they would provide the graders notes otherwise this turns into a guessing game and we are just grading covers? What purpose would it serve to withhold that info?

For anyone that still questions whether the scans for this round were seriously messed up, here's the scan that Greggy posted along with his current auction for this book. If you've got a slab with a label this dark, you've got a problem. Beneath it is what a label actually looks like. The scans for this book were misleading to say the least.

Greggy has sent me every one of the scans he has posted in his registry sets for correction. I have cropped, color adjusted and corrected the brightness and contrast of every one. They all needed it.

scancomp.jpg

I believe I have something that will help in this situation - a nice selection of fine cheeses for your culinary pleasure:

CH1~Cheeses-of-the-World.jpg

The only things missing now are the crackers! 27_laughing.gif

BTW Doc,

I think you need a primer on scanning yourself. Your auction scans are way overexposed (which hides defects) and they look like they were shot through a screen door. Color is pretty mottled too.

Let me know if you want some tips.

Red

first4.jpg

Now you're ripping into Banner's auction scans?

sleeping.gif

Give him a break. He is trying to be helpful poke2.gif

Kiltman, being helpful involves providing the tips on improving the scans and does not involve simply pointing out what's wrong with the scans. If you want me to be helpful to you in the latter manner, please LMK tongue.gif

No good deed goes unpunished. 27_laughing.gif

'Course I coulda' pointed out how half the links on his site are dead. He should spend more time worrying about his own biz, and less time posting scans of cheese. poke2.gif