• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 8

245 posts in this topic

Exactly, you can't quit and then complain about the contest or its participants.

I didn't quit...I bowed out because I realized I had an unfair advantage over others...

It was the right thing to do...would have loved to have continued because I was doing quite well...

Jim

What was the unfair advantage?

He's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person Savant. 27_laughing.gif

I ruined it for you?

Grow up.

Ruined for me? 27_laughing.gif Hell I'm quite amused by your whine actually...

But by throwng your fit...and [#@$%!!!] off Greggy enough to leave, you've proven yet again how some take these games too seriously...

I was waiting to see who'd be the first to throw the first b1tch fit and you've not disappointed....

Jim

You haven't even seen my frontline person_without_enough_empathyfit yet , quitter! sumo.gif

Exactly, you can't quit and then complain about the contest or its participants.

I didn't quit...I bowed out because I realized I had an unfair advantage over others...

It was the right thing to do...would have loved to have continued because I was doing quite well...

Jim

I had access to Greggy's collection database to include CGC slabs...

Jim

Jim

I had access to Greggy's collection database to include CGC slabs...

Jim

That's a good reason.

Congrats to the following who NAILED IT 893applaud-thumb.gif

1 Hobbes

2 TheBeyonder

3 FFB

4 MrWoogieman

5 Davidking623

Congrats, nailers! If you don't mind sharing your secrets, what did you see in the book that made you recognize it was only an 8.5? The bottom corners are soft (especially the LLC BC), and the spine did have some visible stresses, but none that appeared too severe. Did you assume that there were more of them than the scan indicated?

Share secrets? No way! 27_laughing.gif I still have some catching up to do first. shy.gif

What I will say is that Greggy told me that I was the only person who asked about the main defect that pushed it down to 8.5 in my view.

Corner crease top right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Interior tanning of the covers...duh! screwy.gif

Note to self: Buy me some of these for the next round! thegag_1843_4834589

Spoken like someone with loads of experience...didn't take long with the name calling did it Rick...who's acting like the child?

Jim

Spoken like someone with loads of experience...didn't take long with the name calling did it Rick...who's acting like the child?

Jim

I am, quitter. hi.gif

this thread is beautiful and terrible to behold, like watching an approaching thunderstorm. only instead of rain, the black clouds are dropping human urine

this thread is beautiful and terrible to behold, like watching an approaching thunderstorm. only instead of rain, the black clouds are dropping human urine

You sir have one colorful imagination... insane.gif

Jim

oh ballz! we should get graders notes for stuff that isnt visible. Thats not whining. I was way off as it turns out but from the scan it had two small corner issues and one tint spine break. other than that it looked just as sweet as the 9.6 I nailed last week so I gave it a 9.4. But if I had graders notes mentioning other stuff I couldnt see I would have downgraded it a lot close to what it got from CGC, book in hand.

anyway...... on to round 9!

I personally enjoy these games as they help me become a better grader. I suppose if I was in the lead it might become more stressful but so far I've enjoyed myself and learned alot of new things about what to look for in a book.

You mentioned what the main defect was... after the round was over. And it was a defect not visible in the scans. We should have been supplied with that information to begin with. screwy.gif

When I said a few rounds ago that we need graders' notes every round, I believe I got no backup from anyone and nothing but "We don't need to steenkin graders' notes" from a few others.

I was hoping something like this would happen. yay.gif

hi.gifhi.gif I did, I did.. hi.gifhi.gif

Below was my response to you from the Round 5 thread, when grader notes were brought up... again.

And as far as grader notes are concerned.. I agree.. give us all the info we can get. In the end we still gotta decide how CGC graded the darn book. No matter if we know every flaw in the book or not.

Some flaws CGC sees/downgrades differently then we each might as individuals.

I thought this entire thing was an exercise in trying to determine how CGC graded a book.. not what we might grade a book.

So give up the notes..let us determine exactly how CGC downgraded for them.

On the flip side.. I also remember Nikos saying way back when his intent was to not point out every flaw for everyone to see right off the bat by posting the notes..

But for those with a keen eye ask the proper questions.

And he would also offer any grader note info , if it was not visible in the scan.

I log on today to see I gained another single point in my march towards grading domination.. yay.gif.. am I still allowed to use the bannana if I only got 1 point?

The sticking point in Round 7 seems to be wether or not the BC tanning was enough reason to ask Greggy if the interior covers were tanned enough to be considered a defect, or grader noteworthy.

Given the amount of people that guessed 9.2 and above it appears the majority did not.

Even if the book was listed from the get go as a new label, OW, and interior covers tanned.

This extra piece of info would not be enough to know exactly what the grade was, but it sure would allow us to grade on a similar curve as CGC, since they had the book in hand.

I think the solution is to either field 100's more questions about each book, or throw us a bone, and post the things that might not be easily seen from just a cover scan if it affects the given book. As I said before "we still gotta decide how much CGC downgraded for it."

Glad to see the board still can get testy over something, as long as you are all still having fun poking sticks at each other.

I aint mad at anyone, just myself for picking the 1 point answer 3 rounds in a row.

Competition.......

Brings out the best/worst in us, dont it?

Ze-.

True enough! I'm also having fun and learning that when the grades drop below 8.0 I stink at my grading. Although I didn't do to well these past 2 rounds either. sorry.gif

When I said a few rounds ago that we need graders' notes every round, I believe I got no backup from anyone and nothing but "We don't need to steenkin graders' notes" from a few others.

Well, I would have seconded your motion... unfortunately I missed it because it was buried under a mountain of "less substantive" posts that I quickly scrolled through. confused-smiley-013.gif

You mentioned what the main defect was... after the round was over. And it was a defect not visible in the scans. We should have been supplied with that information to begin with. screwy.gif

hi.gifhi.gif I did, I did.. hi.gifhi.gif

cloud9.gifflowerred.gif

If you remember, I supported you. thumbsup2.gif