• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the “comic con” bubble burst?
5 5

251 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

If I am checking prices on my phone that is usually for CGC graded books.  Unless a customer is communicating with me in most cases I wouldn't know what they are looking at unless they told me.  And since I don't like pushy salesman either when I am shopping doesn't asking a customer if they are checking Ebay or somewhere else put them on the defensive?    

I am the opposite of pushy salesman, I let people look without bothering them, so long as they are gentle with the books ;).  

Most of the ones that do, don't "hide" their phone and either tell me they see it on ebay or  literally show me on their own phone the price they are seeing it for on eBay or whatever.

And yep, I have buyers do this for "common books"...I guess the penny saved is a penny earned...

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

You know, Bob, I think we're having some discussion here, and we've all got different backgrounds - collectors, part time sellers, dealers, etc., so a lot of time we are talking past each other due to the context of our backgrounds.

I don't know if I'm just too sensitive, or west coasty,  but your writing just seems to be an in your face assault a lot of the time.

Then feel free to put me on ignore.  

I've pretty much already done that years ago, as far as ever considering buying from you, as we just aren't in the same gaming circles. 

The above was just an observation as I've seen you wade through this topic with sledge hammer, to whack all the bottom-feeding moles that are posting their wrong opinions.  

I have never referred to a customer as a "bottom feeding mole" so if that is what you consider them that is all you.  If I confront a poster to be more clear and you feel that is me using a sledge hammer then so be it.   It would be the same type of communication if they were standing right in front of me.  Every person is entitled to their definition of FMV but if I don't have that information it makes the buyer/seller relationship very difficult unless the buyer speaks up.  Which in some cases seems to be very uncomfortable for some buyers.  Them just wanting it priced "fair" leaves a lot to interpretation.  Ebay fair?  GPA Fair?  OSPG % of guide fair?  This particular convention fair?   The i live in Wisconsin but I'm at a NY show so I want it Wisconsin fair?

Edited by blazingbob

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Sorry I'm still trying to wrap myself around the new "Ebay pricing model" for my inventory.  Being ebay sellers are also "people" I would wonder how they come up with their "prices".   Or is the first seller of that book in that grade the "expert"?

Not picking sides in this discussion, but perhaps the confusion rests with buyers who suggest that eBay prices are FMV are actually suggesting that the lowest auction price for that book is FMV.

We all know that both auction prices and BIN prices can fluctuate wildly from seller to seller and day to day. Some folks don't understand that a comic with the final hammer price of $0.99 is really $5+ because of shipping. In reality, I expect these $0.99 eBay books to be $5-10 at cons and rightfully so but people on their phones only see the $0.99 figure. 

These guys are not just at cons but all over eBay too, i.e., "I only won one book in your latest auction and I'm not paying shipping for a $0.99 book" but I digress. 

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Everyone is checking con prices to Ebay prices?  I never check ebay prices when I buying raw books at shows.  I never see my competitors checking ebay for raw purchases.  Exactly how long would that take if I'm trying to buy a bunch of books?  I check my database and OSPG and the condition of the book when I buy it.  I also know what I can sell it for.  

As far as the can I be higher and not have key books to be successful how do you think many dealers started?  Do you think I magically fell into my inventory.  It is years and years of hard work.  If I didn't have the ability to buy and turn over my inventory year after year do you think I would still be in business?  This business is not entirely built on price.  You can be the cheapest but if nobody knows you then so what.  

Right, your job is buying and selling comic books. You have your own database even. There are things at my job that I don't have to lookup every time I do them also. Like remembering 2 scoops or 3.

Yeah but what is the FMV of a ice cream cone (not waffle) 2 scoops (soft,  not hard ice cream), no extras?

Imagine a post where it was just Ice cream cone, 2 scoops.

That is what I see in a lot of these posts.  

Edited by blazingbob

13 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Yeah but what is the FMV of a ice cream cone (not waffle) 2 scoops (soft,  not hard ice cream), no extras?

That could be applied regionally., not nationally.

5 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

If you’re gonna deal with common books, you’re gonna deal with common people. Real common sometimes. 

forrest-gump-1994-movie-forrest-park-bench-savannah-georgia-life-is-like-a-box-of-chocolates-tom-hanks-best-picture-review.jpg

17 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

be6154807f787eb6355d0bba908b80b9.gif.38f01eeaa984fec95dd4c23273d71238.gif

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

forrest-gump-1994-movie-forrest-park-bench-savannah-georgia-life-is-like-a-box-of-chocolates-tom-hanks-best-picture-review.jpg

Soft ice cream and a sugar cone are not regional just like a comic book is a comic book.  The cost of acquiring those ingredients or that comic book does not matter.

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Soft ice cream and a sugar cone are not regional just like a comic book is a comic book.  The cost of acquiring those ingredients or that comic book does not matter.

hm so food costs are the same across the country? Definitely not true.

Just like buying a comic at SDCC will most likely cost you more than the con down the street.

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Two-Pugs-Eating-Ice-Cream-Cone.gif

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Even comic books have some regional characteristics.  

For instance, take Heroes Con vs something like NYCC (or to a lesser extent, Bmore).  When I lived in Charlotte and attended Heroes, there were a lot more “dollar guys” than “money guys”.  

Bob did Heroes one (or maybe both) Heroes I went to.  I think he’s stopped doing that show as he caters to a different buyer.  I’ve never been to a Bmore show that he hasn’t been at.

The 2 years I went to Heroes, if you were looking for HG Silver, you could go to Bob, Dale, Harley (who has a bit of everything) or Bedrock.  Never saw Metro there (seen them in Bmore a few times).  At Bmore, there’s a much better selection of the “higher end” books (even though Dale hasn’t been in awhile, but Reese has filled that hole).