• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the “comic con” bubble burst?
5 5

251 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Whochie mama grandma

I only looked in to see if the con was dead and all I've got is a 99 with a flake. 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
2 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I'm not going to be able to eat Thanksgiving dinner this year.  I'm stained forever. 

Thank golly mine was in October lol

Flagrantly Canadian. 

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

hm so food costs are the same across the country? Definitely not true.

Just like buying a comic at SDCC will most likely cost you more than the con down the street.

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Even comic books have some regional characteristics.  

For instance, take Heroes Con vs something like NYCC (or to a lesser extent, Bmore).  When I lived in Charlotte and attended Heroes, there were a lot more “dollar guys” than “money guys”.  

Bob did Heroes one (or maybe both) Heroes I went to.  I think he’s stopped doing that show as he caters to a different buyer.  I’ve never been to a Bmore show that he hasn’t been at.

The 2 years I went to Heroes, if you were looking for HG Silver, you could go to Bob, Dale, Harley (who has a bit of everything) or Bedrock.  Never saw Metro there (seen them in Bmore a few times).  At Bmore, there’s a much better selection of the “higher end” books (even though Dale hasn’t been in awhile, but Reese has filled that hole).  

I beat you to it.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I beat you to it.

Well I am back doing the Heroes show.

But to the Ebay pricing model a comic book is a comic book.  Doesn't matter if the seller is in NY like me with a higher cost of doing business versus Virginia or Florida.  The FMV Ebay buyer model is that for them to buy it from you have to be the cheapest.  

Bob - did you notice any drop in the number of dealers at the Cons you set up at this year?  For your perspective would you say this year was a good year in terms of selling at Cons?  The original discussion was if the increase "or bubble" of Con has popped or is in danger of popping.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Well I am back doing the Heroes show.

But to the Ebay pricing model a comic book is a comic book.  Doesn't matter if the seller is in NY like me with a higher cost of doing business versus Virginia or Florida.  The FMV Ebay buyer model is that for them to buy it from you have to be the cheapest.  

Right, you're name always gets brought up with all the best names on here. You have a website and I'm sure a lot of repeat buyers because of that. But if you setup at my local con, I'm buying from the local guy who will give me a discount because I'm a repeat buyer.

Your model works for you and about 3% of the other dealers across the country.

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Yeah but what is the FMV of a ice cream cone (not waffle) 2 scoops (soft,  not hard ice cream), no extras?

Imagine a post where it was just Ice cream cone, 2 scoops.

That is what I see in a lot of these posts.  

Don't forget the sprinkles.

7 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Sorry I'm still trying to wrap myself around the new "Ebay pricing model" for my inventory.  Being ebay sellers are also "people" I would wonder how they come up with their "prices".   Or is the first seller of that book in that grade the "expert"?

These days I find I buy from these places

Ebay - only CGC graded books and PSA graded cards.  Look at lots of stuff but that is all I buy and not too often.

Auction Houses - the bulk of my buying, everything is CGC graded for comics

Local comic store (Time Warp) - gets in new collections pretty often, price is pretty good plus he always discounts me 10%.  I only go in every 3 to 6 months but usually drop $100 to $300 per visit.

On 11/19/2017 at 4:31 PM, jsilverjanet said:

@VintageComics

I'll ask Roy to chime in since he visits cons across the countries (Canada/USA) and give us his take.

No.

:acclaim:

On 11/21/2017 at 12:14 PM, slg343 said:

As I stated I am not your target market.  Also books at cons are just as over graded as ebay.  But with ebay I can find a flaw later and return it.  So yes I would expect a bigger discount for something I need a make a quick no returns allowed judgement.  With that said what is the excuse for being higher on CGC books?

There are just unlimited markets to buy from now.  Facebook, Instagram, here that there is never a reason to over pay.  It has becomes a buyers market.

I certainly wish dealers the beston thier sales because I love the hobby but it just isn't for me.  I don't want to haggle and just want the best price for the book.

It depends on what sort of books you are looking for. Common books? It's always been a buyer's market.

But I would expect to pay more, not less when you are having a dealer come into your town to bring their inventory and allow you to hand inspect it before purchasing.

As far as not haggling, it would be rare not to have to haggle whether it's at a show or the Make An Offer option on eBay. Very few sellers come out with their lowest prices on inventory.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:17 PM, slg343 said:

Also a pet peeve of mine is when a seller using number system like 9.2 is there a refund if a third party IE disagrees.  Just use range like NM-

What if the 3rd party can't agree on a grade. CGC has variations.

If anyone wants to buy a book with a CGC grade then they should avoid raw books. Grading is not a science, set in stone.

As Bob said, NM- and 9.2 are two different ways of saying the exact same thing.