• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, kagenish said:

Good link, thanks!

...The exciting thing about it is that it finally reveals Superman's black suit...sort of. Cinematographer Fabian Wagner previously confirmed that it was included in Justice League as an Easter Egg and that the Man of Steel walks by it and simply glances at the suit comic book fans were hoping he would actually wear at some point in the movie. As a result, the sequence is somewhat underwhelming...

Do they?! I remember everyone complaining bitterly when it was first introduced in the comic book...

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

What the what?! (This wouldn't surprise me, though):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/zack-snyder-apos-fired-dceu-175000610.html

-J.

Saw this also.  The sources also reports that different people said that the Snyder working cut seen by executives in early 2017 was unwatchable. He is also reporting that Snyder was gone for 2 or 3 months before it was announced.  The studio used his family tragedy as a way to give him an understandable and more graceful exit. 

Make me wonder if the movie was then in limbo for that period? Was Whedon secretly working on it? Or did they use the time to really look at what they had then decide how to move forward?

Seems to me they should have used Snyder's family tragedy as a way to delay the film not just replace him.

50 minutes ago, drotto said:

Saw this also.  The sources also reports that different people said that the Snyder working cut seen by executives in early 2017 was unwatchable. He is also reporting that Snyder was gone for 2 or 3 months before it was announced.  The studio used his family tragedy as a way to give him an understandable and more graceful exit. 

Make me wonder if the movie was then in limbo for that period? Was Whedon secretly working on it? Or did they use the time to really look at what they had then decide how to move forward?

Seems to me they should have used Snyder's family tragedy as a way to delay the film not just replace him.

If only we ever get to see this 'unwatchable cut' one day. Meanwhile...

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

he might regain his reputation if proved that the movie was actually directed by a Zack Snyder clone or robot

I personally believe he was fired as well and the fact that you will never see him helming another DC movie again is prima facie proof of that.  I was hearing about the unwatchability of his first cut long before he was fired/"left to grieve".

-J.

Not hard to believe.

Also - it's fairly damning that a full 9 months after Justice League's release, his director slate at IMDB is barren.

Two films listed as in "pre-production" or "upcoming" but with no dates (2018 or 2019) attached.

And one of those films? "Justice League 2."

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Second deleted scene to appear on JL release has been revealed.

I knew it!!!  I said red cape but the stupid internet kept saying it's Green Lantern.  I'm right!  They're wrong!  I should start making a list of all my correct predictionslol.

On the topic of this specific scene...it's a bit underwhelming now that I'm seeing it in whole.  The trailer made it out to be more suspenseful and epic than it actually is:S.  They should have kept it a mystery until he actually showed up during the fight.

7 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I knew it!!!  I said red cape but the stupid internet kept saying it's Green Lantern.  I'm right!  They're wrong!  I should start making a list of all my correct predictionslol.

On the topic of this specific scene...it's a bit underwhelming now that I'm seeing it in whole.  The trailer made it out to be more suspenseful and epic than it actually is:S.  They should have kept it a mystery until he actually showed up during the fight.

You amazing individual.

:baiting:

19 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Agreed.

Glad they cut that scene.

Keeping it in would have been the laziest of lazy ways out.

Because it's not like anyone who saw this was unaware that Superman would return (if they even remembered he "died" in BvS in the first place -- And I'm still unclear on that. Didn't we see the dirt over his grave move in the final shot of BvS?)

So -- a golden opportunity to surprise us with Supergirl (since we saw the reflection of the red cape in the trailer) or Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter...instead it gets (rightfully) cut for time.

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Ahhh the power of editing...ehhh marketing...let's say both. A "so what" scene had the internet arguing for weeks, dare I say months...

Have to say,  I remember feeling excited about this teaser...so I too feel empty inside after seeing it...

Now knowing there were more than one shot of a given scene, for all we know this was a later cut of the build-up scene. So at that point, Snyder may have been pushed to shorten it, versus adding a few extra minutes for buildup.

Depending on someone's allowance for these things, some will always lean towards the negative. Others may lean towards a later reshoot of the scene. Not sure we will ever know all the facts.

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed.

Glad they cut that scene.

Keeping it in would have been the laziest of lazy ways out.

Because it's not like anyone who saw this was unaware that Superman would return (if they even remembered he "died" in BvS in the first place -- And I'm still unclear on that. Didn't we see the dirt over his grave move in the final shot of BvS?)

So -- a golden opportunity to surprise us with Supergirl (since we saw the reflection of the red cape in the trailer) or Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter...instead it gets (rightfully) cut for time.

lol 

I have to ask... How do you differentiate between the scenes you're glad they cut and the 2 hours' worth of scenes you wish they'd never included in the first place?

:wink:

57 minutes ago, Batman said:

lol 

I have to ask... How do you differentiate between the scenes you're glad they cut and the 2 hours' worth of scenes you wish they'd never included in the first place?

:wink:

Some people are lost in hate, and rejoice the more they find. You won't change them.

But here's an interesting piece. It was assumed the very positive ending where Lois Lane talks of heroes and Superman rips open his shirt was all Joss Whedon.

Oh well!

On 12/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 12/8/2017 at 3:43 AM, rjrjr said:

I saw this movie recently.  I liked Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.  I really loved Wonder Woman.  I didn't love Justice League.  I would say Justice League was more like Avenger: Age of Ultron that Avengers.  Both were a squandered opportunity at something that should have been great.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:51 AM, bane said:

SPOT.... ON....

I think with cutting the movie down from 2.5 hours to 2 hours we lost some of the character-building scenes Kevin Smith read off his list of cut and changed scenes, not allowing the audience time to sympathize and bond with each of the characters. Especially the newer ones where telling some of their backstory would have revealed what drives them.

DELETED: Barry Allen saving Iris West by breaking the glass.

DELETED: After taking the Mother Box from Themiscyra, Steppenwolf actually “talks” to the Box. His mother, Heggra’s essence is alive in the Mother Boxes and bringing them all together would unleash her powers – finally giving Steppenwolf an edge over his uncle – Darkseid. That is what his plan was originally. I thought for sure that they would keep this scene in because they used a dialogue from this scene in the trailers – “No protectors here. No Lanterns. This world will fall. You will be free, mother.”

DELETED – Cyborg’s previous life. He plays a great football match that his MOTHER (Yes, she was cast as well) attends. Afterwards, they drive home. Victor is angry that his Dad never made it while his mother tries to console him. Victor just keeps getting angry and lashing out, loses control of the car – causing a fiery crash..

DELETED: After the attack on Atlantis, Aquaman consults with Mera and Vulko over what he should do next. Mera wants him to stay as King because she “doesn’t trust Orm”. Vulko wants him to do what his heart says. Aquaman confesses that he feels a responsibility to help the people on Earth.

CHANGED: Superman’s resurrection was ONLY possible because Cyborg detects foreign genetic material in his DNA a.k.a the Codex. This is the final confirmation needed that Superman can be brought back to life after all. Then, the revival happens pretty much the same.

DELETED: Kent Farm. Superman brings Lois here. however, he is still very confused and not knowing what’s happening. Bystanders are looking at him and clicking his photos. This confuses him further and he actually tries to attack the civilians with his laser-eyes before Lois manages to calm him down. Superman tells her that “the voices won’t shut up”. Later, Martha shows up here and Clark and Lois are already inside the house. Clark is calmer now but still very confused – his powers are going haywire and his senses are heightened. Martha gives the “Picture the world as an Island. Follow my voice and come back to me” speech from MoS. It seems to calm him down. Later, Clark is wearing his shirt when he sees Pa Kent (Yes, Costner was here too) out in the fields. He goes out to see him. Pa Kent talks about “embracing who you really are”. He tells Clark that “you have to make peace with who you are. You have the power to change the world and you can do that as anyone, good character or bad.” Clark finally embraces Superman as a part of him when Lois walks out. Clark confirms their engagement, Lois breaks down because she wasn’t strong enough. Then, Martha comes out too as Clark decides to help the League and flies off. That’s how it happened in my version. I may have paraphrased some dialogue but that was basically it.

If these details are accurate, it exposes how the studio cut out the guts of the film to make it shorter versus more personable, resulting in a flash of exciting scenes without much emotional attachment taking place.

Heck, even with Steppenwolf it would have given him more personality and counter-balance it wasn't about him being all evil. It was to defeat Darkseid, and bringing his mother back. I didn't even realize her backstory was Darkseid had her murdered for betraying him.

Heggra is the sister of Steppenwolf, wife of Yuga Khan, mother of Darkseid(her younger son Uxas) and Infinity-Man (her elder son Drax), as well as the grandmother of Kalibak, Orion and Grayven. All of them, including her, are New Gods of Apokolips. She is also the mother-in-law of Suli and Tigra and Himon, the grandmother-in-law of Bekka as well as the adopted grandmother of Mister Miracle, adopted grandmother-in-law of Big Barda and adopted mother-in-law of Big Breeda.

Eventually, Darkseid learned of Heggra's role in the death of Suli. Now more motivated to see his mother dead than ever before, he had Desaad murder the queen by poisoning her, leaving him as the unopposed ruler of Apokolips.

Tell us that, and it makes it even more apparent why Steppenwolf was doing what he did, and how it was all about revenge against Darkseid. Even if he had to burn down an entire world.

How mindless of me, assuming Justice League was the second coming with little room for improvement.

:facepalm: