• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

Can't believe Olivia prices went psycho again... happened last auction too.   WTF.   I like Olivia but I could buy an Elvgren for that.

Edited by Bronty

24 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

Jeez, maybe the school that has all the watersons should sell them off and give everyone free tuition for a year

They are on loan to Ohio State.

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Can't believe Olivia prices went psycho again... happened last auction too.   WTF.   I like Olivia but I could buy an Elvgren for that.

It’s content. Wonder Woman is popular with the movie and Olivia has been doing stuff for Sideshow. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

It’s content. Wonder Woman is popular with the movie and Olivia has been doing stuff for Sideshow. 

Yeah I don't buy that as a reason for it to go from 5k to 65k though.

I mean... I hear you... but I think fundamentally someone has got wood for Olivia WW work, simple as that?    I.e.    I'm thinking these are contests between two bidders and two bidders only past a much more modest amount

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Yeah I don't buy that as a reason for it to go from 5k to 65k though.

I mean... I hear you... but I think fundamentally someone has got wood for Olivia WW work, simple as that?    I.e.    I'm thinking these are contests between two bidders and two bidders only past a much more modest amount

You can say that about a lot of the stuff on ha.  Usually it gets down to just two bidders I was underbidder on two items and I bet I was just against one other bidder for the last 3 or 4 bids.

6 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

You can say that about a lot of the stuff on ha.  Usually it gets down to just two bidders I was underbidder on two items and I bet I was just against one other bidder for the last 3 or 4 bids.

Well sure, every auction comes down to two bidders but its pretty rare when the last 80% of the price is just two guys.    Which I'd guess happened here

On 1/17/2018 at 2:04 PM, Carlo M said:

Introducing a slight new sub-topic: I am eyeing the Silver Surfer 4 recreation by Buscema and I have two questions for the group:

1) I have seen a few of these recreations pop up here and there.  Anybody has any ideas how many there are out there? Even ball park?

2) They all seem good quality.  Anybody has ever detected a difference in quality / price depending on the vintage?

Thanks!

Carlo

Hey Carlo, I saw probably 10 SS 4 cover recreations over the years. I didn't buy one back in the day because of that. However when they sell they seem to go over 2k so it's a favorite image for fans. I would buy one today just because I loved big John's Surfer work so much. Good luck  Mike

6 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

Nice pick-up.  Stupid questions--who's behind the door?

"The cover guest-stars Power Girl, and almost guest-starred Atlee (Terra III, who is getting a door in the face)."

I honestly have no idea who Atlee is :whatthe: ... is it bad form to purchase original art from a comic I've not yet read? :smile:

The Olivia WW was a surprise. Maybe Gal Gadot bought it! 

Watterson Strip! Wow! New record!

Congrats to my friend who sold the Peanuts Sunday! What a great find.

At the rate prices were today, the pieces I have my eye on tomorrow will likely be untouchable. 

6 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Anyone else wondering if the bidder on the Carrier Fisher Olivia piece actually read the description?  I can't imagine paying $18,000 for a piece the size of printer paper (9"x12").  Even framed, that is going to look tiny on the wall.

I would've thought so until the recent thread that showed a lot of people don't actually like big art.  Or have any interest in framing and displaying art.  

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

$40630. Shocked at the price for the Vampirella a Scarlet Thirst by Dave Stevens. That is one of his most popular pieces outside of The Rocketeer. I was expecting it to go for much more. One one got a great deal.

Stolen...Grand Fricken Theft on that one. 

11 hours ago, vodou said:

Or: "???" on Jim's CAF and then two weeks from now Romitaman lol

If you knew anything...you would know that jim hasn.t bought a piece at auction in probably a decade. :)

Edited by romitaman

8 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

A bit surprised the Avengers #52 page went for as high as $12k.  Nice page but that's probably a record for a non-splash from that period of JB Avengers (other than Avengers #57-#58)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/john-buscema-and-vince-colletta-avengers-52-story-page-20-original-art-marvel-1968-/a/7177-92043.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

That sale made me VERY happy........i've had a nice sized stack of JB  Avengers,  early Thor, and FF art from this era and i've been hanging onto it 15 years for the JB market to finally catch up to what it should be......as this art (Non palmer inked Avengers, non SS art) has been undervalued for so long IMHO.