• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

The Stevens piece is the only one that screams “bargain”.   

While the Stevens piece may 'scream' bargain, there are numerous examples of below FMV items in this auction in the $3K-$10K range.  If you were seeking a deal, this was the auction to get it done ✅ 

Just looking over my bids...Adkins Dr Strange 170 page was a strong price at $2K after juice. I bought this page when Burkey broke up the issue and still have two on my wall so I was glad to see this double from a few years ago.

A bit surprised that a Hard Boiled page was 10X a Rusty/Big Guy page. But that is random observation, I do not follow Darrow prices too closely.

I was interested in the Herriman Dingbat strip. Only recently got into the woirk after reading his biography last year. (that typo stays, it seems appropriate).

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

While the Stevens piece may 'scream' bargain, there are numerous examples of below FMV items in this auction in the $3K-$10K range.  If you were seeking a deal, this was the auction to get it done ✅ 

Curious if you could provide an example or two? I suppose it’s contingent upon what one likes/collects, but anything I was tracking (more for edification than anything) seemed to finish higher than previous comps. No biggie if you don’t want to share, I’m just curious about other perspectives. 

19 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Curious if you could provide an example or two? I suppose it’s contingent upon what one likes/collects, but anything I was tracking (more for edification than anything) seemed to finish higher than previous comps. No biggie if you don’t want to share, I’m just curious about other perspectives. 

-Pollard Thor Splash

-BWS MCP pages

-Cardy Jimmy Olsen cover

-Kaluta Forbidden Tales splash 

- Kane Marvel Superheroes cover

This Zeck page from Kraven's Last Hunt sold for $4541. It sold/delisted from Romitaman around 7 months ago listed at $4500. I put a few bids in, seemed like a fair price. It was a short turnaround so I guess it's not too much of a surprise the owner lost $.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/mike-zeck-and-bob-mcleod-spectacular-spider-man-132-story-page-15-original-art-marvel-1987-/a/7177-92290.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

11 minutes ago, Twanj said:

This Zeck page from Kraven's Last Hunt sold for $4541. It sold/delisted from Romitaman around 7 months ago listed at $4500. I put a few bids in, seemed like a fair price. It was a short turnaround so I guess it's not too much of a surprise the owner lost $.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/mike-zeck-and-bob-mcleod-spectacular-spider-man-132-story-page-15-original-art-marvel-1987-/a/7177-92290.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I think that may have been a play to capitalize on the sale of the Cover from the last auction in the hope that sale would have raised prices for interior pages 2c

41 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

-Pollard Thor Splash

-BWS MCP pages

-Cardy Jimmy Olsen cover

I thought that the BWS  MCP pages were around market- they were good pages but not "A list" pages. I was more surprised at the price of the Rune pages.

25 minutes ago, robert frey said:

I thought that the BWS  MCP pages were around market- they were good pages but not "A list" pages. I was more surprised at the price of the Rune pages.

I think what hurt the prices on the MCP pages was having three of them in the same auction.  Two of the three pages in particular were below FMV

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

-Pollard Thor Splash

-BWS MCP pages

-Cardy Jimmy Olsen cover

I thought the Polllard piece was around FMV, not aware of any comps that were priced higher?

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think what hurt the prices on the MCP pages was having three of them in the same auction.  Two of the three pages in particular were below FMV

I dunno. I looked at those pages two of the three weren't on par with the third one. Nice pages but I can see the difference in elements and overall desirability.

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I dunno. I looked at those pages two of the three weren't on par with the third one. Nice pages but I can see the difference in elements and overall desirability.

Right.  What I'm saying is that they would have gone higher in auctions where only one MCP page was available.

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

-Pollard Thor Splash

-BWS MCP pages

-Cardy Jimmy Olsen cover

I think the Pollard Thor would have gone for more if the credits had been a little more trimmed down....

5a91a2c416c2d_ScreenShot2018-02-24at11_36_24AM.thumb.png.582d4839e9d7b7d23c305adb1a57d57a.png

The Kane cover didn't move me. If it had been on Hulk from the actual Hulk Title...how much would a Kane/Giacoia from 78 go for? The image was a little off, too close a camera angle, not enough detail, and it was still $10k.

When the Marvel Premiere 15 Iron Fist cover is $14k, I think almost $10k is probably retail for this. 

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Right.  What I'm saying is that they would have gone higher in auctions where only one MCP page was available.

Yeah, I can see that, with these types of pages. 

It wouldn't hurt the best pages, like I the auction a while back with a couple pages and a cover where everything went strong. 

5 hours ago, Bird said:

Just looking over my bids...Adkins Dr Strange 170 page was a strong price at $2K after juice. I bought this page when Burkey broke up the issue and still have two on my wall so I was glad to see this double from a few years ago.

A bit surprised that a Hard Boiled page was 10X a Rusty/Big Guy page. But that is random observation, I do not follow Darrow prices too closely.

I was interested in the Herriman Dingbat strip. Only recently got into the woirk after reading his biography last year. (that typo stays, it seems appropriate).

I was really tempted to go after that R/B page myself, since I have memories of watching the tv show they made when I was younger, but decided to pass. Was surprised to see it go for much less than the continuation page right after it that was in the last featured auction.