• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I read a spoiler, and I hope that it isn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me (cuz Disney). -_-

Taskmaster?

Spoiler

Taskmaster is Olga Kurylenko's character Anya Dreykov, the daughter of Ray Winstone's character Viktor Dreykov, the director of the Red Room. She was Natasha's best friend, but when Natasha decided to escape, Anya tried to stop her and they fought. Natasha was forced to choose between leaving Anya to die in an explosion and escape, or rescue her and risk being recaptured. She chose to escape, something that has always haunted her.

Anya was severely injured but survived and was rebuilt by Dreykov and Rachel Weisz's character Melina Vostokoff with cybernetic enhancements, including to analyze and mimic other people's fighting skills. Anya lives under Dreykov's control and is ordered by Dreykov to recapture Natasha. In the end, Natasha is once again forced to choose between leaving Anya to die to escape or helping her and risk capture. This time, she chooses Anya, who forgives Natasha and dies in her arms from the injuries she suffered in the final battle.

O.T. Fagbenle's character Rick Mason is a red herring in regards to being Taskmaster, but he is secretly working for Dreykov and wants revenge against Natasha for ruining his life by leaking S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secrets online, exposing his identity and forcing him to live underground. Also, the movie ends with Ross retrieving the specs for Taskmaster's implants and planning to create his own version.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Taskmaster?

Reveal hidden contents

Taskmaster is Olga Kurylenko's character Anya Dreykov, the daughter of Ray Winstone's character Viktor Dreykov, the director of the Red Room. She was Natasha's best friend, but when Natasha decided to escape, Anya tried to stop her and they fought. Natasha was forced to choose between leaving Anya to die in an explosion and escape, or rescue her and risk being recaptured. She chose to escape, something that has always haunted her.

Anya was severely injured but survived and was rebuilt by Dreykov and Rachel Weisz's character Melina Vostokoff with cybernetic enhancements, including to analyze and mimic other people's fighting skills. Anya lives under Dreykov's control and is ordered by Dreykov to recapture Natasha. In the end, Natasha is once again forced to choose between leaving Anya to die to escape or helping her and risk capture. This time, she chooses Anya, who forgives Natasha and dies in her arms from the injuries she suffered in the final battle.

O.T. Fagbenle's character Rick Mason is a red herring in regards to being Taskmaster, but he is secretly working for Dreykov and wants revenge against Natasha for ruining his life by leaking S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secrets online, exposing his identity and forcing him to live underground. Also, the movie ends with Ross retrieving the specs for Taskmaster's implants and planning to create his own version.

Yes. :mad:

On 6/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, drotto said:
On 6/29/2021 at 12:20 PM, paperheart said:

So far reviews look luke warm to good.

I see you're unfamiliar with Metacritic's scoring.  70 isn't lukewarm.

Metacritic's scoring is a lot tougher than Rotten Tomatoes, and 70 isn't mediocre or lukewarm, it's well above average.  For comparison the first Avengers film got a 69 Metacritic, Infinity War got a 68, and Winter Soldier got a 70.  The highest I've ever seen for a superhero film on there is The Dark Knight at 84.  Anything over 60 from them is probably pretty good, and over 70 should be great.

I'm surprised at the critical response so far...I thought it would be more mixed than it is and was expecting an RT score in the 70s.  Looks like it's better than I was expecting.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Metacritic's scoring is a lot tougher than Rotten Tomatoes, and 70 isn't mediocre or lukewarm, it's well above average.  For comparison the first Avengers film got a 69 Metacritic, Infinity War got a 68, and Winter Soldier got a 70.  The highest I've ever seen for a superhero film on there is The Dark Knight at 84.  Anything over 60 from them is probably pretty good, and over 70 should be great.

I'm surprised at the critical response so far...I thought it would be more mixed than it is and was expecting an RT score in the 70s.  Looks like it's better than I was expecting.

Still denying Black Panther exists (thumbsu

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

I knew there was one higher, but I couldn't remember what it was last night, but yea, they gave that one an 88.

You can find a TON of comparative examples of how Metacritic will give a higher score to a movie that's not as good as one with a lower score, and Black Panther vs Dark Knight is definitely one of those examples.  I expect Black Widow also isn't better than Avengers or Infinity War, but I suppose we'll see.  They gave a 78 to Endgame and a 69 to Infinity War, and that's a STARK example of their cruddy scoring because Infinity War is definitely better than its sequel.

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

Black Panther was good. Good enough for me to purchase. But still a cookie cutter story. Nothing wrong with that but there’s no comparison with The Dark Knight. And thats saying something when I don’t like Bale as Bruce Wayne and hated the Bat suit. 

Something that has been bothering me ever since my mother brought it up.

This movie seems like a setup for the new Black Widow. Aren't they replacing Scarlett Johansson for a younger model? I know they killed her off in Endgame, but since Feige has plans years in advance, they knew they were going to do this. Scarlett is 37 and Florence is 25. Are you telling me a woman in her 30s is too old to take over? Look at Charlize Theron, she's older than both of them and still doing movies as a kick-:censored: character.

It's funny how some folks like to virtue signal and proclaim that Black Widow is too little too late (as if these folks really cared back then) when a Phase One/Two solo Black Widow movie was neither warranted nor was Marvel Studios ready to make a proper solo female super-hero film. The world has come a long way in the last decade.

https://time.com/6077666/black-widow-scarlett-johansson/

Black Widow Began as a Sexist Stereotype. More Than a Decade Later, Scarlett Johansson Is Reclaiming Her Story

Black Widow sauntered into the mainstream consciousness in 2010’s Iron Man 2. Not walked—sauntered. Natasha Romanoff, the Russian agent turned U.S. spy played by Scarlett Johansson, first meets Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) when he’s working out in a boxing ring with his employee, played by Jon Favreau, the film’s director. Favreau’s Happy Hogan condescendingly offers to teach Natasha how to box, so she slips off her high heels, slinks into the ring and immediately kicks the man’s butt. That’s the joke: Surprise! This unbelievably fit woman can fight.

But it’s the moment after Natasha handily beats Happy that truly rankled fans. Stark turns to his assistant turned girlfriend Pepper Potts, played by Gwyneth Paltrow. “Who is she?” Tony asks. To which Pepper replies, “Potentially a very expensive sexual harassment lawsuit.” Tony, after Googling for photos of Natasha in her underwear, quips, “I want one.”

Victoria Alonso, executive vice president of production at Marvel Studios, never liked the line. “It bothered me then and it bothers me now,” says Alonso, who was a co-producer of Iron Man 2. “I remember thinking, ‘She’s not a thing.’ But how apropos: the world sees a sexy woman and thinks that because she is beautiful, that’s all she has to give.” The scene feels like a relic of a pre-#MeToo Hollywood.

I would love to see this in the theater, but I can't receive the vaccine because my immune system is suppressed because of the heart transplant I received a few years ago. So I don't know when I can see it. Supposedly Disney will no longer be releasing physical media(at least not 4k, and who knows what else), so I would have to wait for streaming. I'm not paying 30 bucks to watch the .movie on my laptop.

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I would love to see this in the theater, but I can't receive the vaccine because my immune system is suppressed because of the heart transplant I received a few years ago. So I don't know when I can see it. Supposedly Disney will no longer be releasing physical media(at least not 4k, and who knows what else), so I would have to wait for streaming. I'm not paying 30 bucks to watch the .movie on my laptop.

Disney not releasing physical media anymore?

Sorry about the immune system issues but glad the transplant took.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:11 PM, D84 said:

Something that has been bothering me ever since my mother brought it up.

This movie seems like a setup for the new Black Widow. Aren't they replacing Scarlett Johansson for a younger model? I know they killed her off in Endgame, but since Feige has plans years in advance, they knew they were going to do this. Scarlett is 37 and Florence is 25. Are you telling me a woman in her 30s is too old to take over? Look at Charlize Theron, she's older than both of them and still doing movies as a kick-:censored: character.

She prob comes alot cheaper than what Scarlett would want to get paid.  Poss she wants to do other roles and not be tied to another multi pic deal?