• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, D84 said:

There were 9 scenes not good enough to be in this movie? Wow!

Surprised that Disney didn't try an Endgame and insert them in the film as a re-release at the theaters to drive re-watches

hm

On 7/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, Bosco685 said:
But Space Jams... :whistle:

This actually proves my point.

You (and several others in the thread) have consistently painted Black Widow's theatrical under-performance as proof that it's a) bad (it's not, merely mediocre - I saw it in on Sunday), and/or b) a financial failure.

While it's under-performing, it's *far* from a financial disaster for Disney.

And it's leagues away from being the financial bombs that either Space Jam 2 or Snake Eyes are for their respective studios.

Putting it out on DVD earlier than usual ensures Disney continues to maximize profit while also playing defense against reports it's on track to be the most pirated film in history.

Big picture? This all points to a systemic change - a move away from theatrical as the primary revenue driver for studios.

Black Widow was never going to "save movie theaters" any more than Tenet was or No Time to Die will.

The industry has shifted - and at this rate, won't return to the pre-March 2020 landscape for at least another 6-7 months, if ever.

In the mean time, Black Widow has continued to set theatrical records for the pandemic era, while also earning Disney tens of millions more in Disney+ Premiere fees.

Space Jam 2, however, will lose Warner Bros. ~$100 million.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:18 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This actually proves my point.

You (and several others in the thread) have consistently painted Black Widow's theatrical under-performance as proof that it's a) bad (it's not, merely mediocre - I saw it in on Sunday), and/or b) a financial failure.

While it's under-performing, it's *far* from a financial disaster for Disney.

And it's leagues away from being the financial bombs that either Space Jam 2 or Snake Eyes are for their respective studios.

Putting it out on DVD earlier than usual ensures Disney continues to maximize profit while also playing defense against reports it's on track to be the most pirated film in history.

Big picture? This all points to a systemic change - a move away from theatrical as the primary revenue driver for studios.

Black Widow was never going to "save movie theaters" any more than Tenet was or No Time to Die will.

The industry has shifted - and at this rate, won't return to the pre-March 2020 landscape for at least another 6-7 months, if ever.

In the mean time, Black Widow has continued to set theatrical records for the pandemic era, while also earning Disney tens of millions more in Disney+ Premiere fees.

Space Jam 2, however, will lose Warner Bros. ~$100 million.

:whatev:

See you tomorrow when you stop on by...

(:

On 7/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, D84 said:

To be fair, Black Widow isn't as bad as WW84, but it's pretty sucky.

What's interesting is comparing theater average value of Black Widow to F9

BW_F9_BO.png.920fe1ea6e612a96334220face4c6050.png

Initially, BW is the natural choice to bring Per Theater revenue. By Day 15 that story starts to change. And Disney pushes BW across more theaters for a higher theater distribution for greater penetration.

Space Jams? The Flash 2016/2018? Hard to say.

:angel:

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/27/2021 at 1:18 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Disney and other major studios simply can't rely on streaming and home premium access as the main return on their big budget movie production investments. It needs the revenue from domestic and international box office returns.

What the media and naysayer reports of Black Widow's "demise", if you want to call it that, says to me is that we're still in the pandemic and the recent surge in infection rates has not only put a damper on hopes that Black Widow might save movie theaters and kickstart a return to normalcy, it's put a damper on the entire U.S. and global economy's comeback. I imagine August will be more of the same, especially as kids return to school. The summer's almost over.

However, I don't believe this is the new normalcy for a second. Even though virus infection rates are going up nationally, so are vaccine rates. When Shang Chi opens to its 45 day theater-only release window in September, Marvel Studios will begin an almost monthly run of theatrical-only release films featuring characters who aren't dead, with Eternals in November and Spider-Man No Way Home in time for Christmas. James Bond, Top Gun2, Venom 2, etc are also on the way later this year with their theater-exclusive runs.

Basically what I'm saying is, now, it will be Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings that kickstarts the movie industry's return to normalcy, with numbers obviously a little down  from their pre-COVID days.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 7/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, drotto said:

Gotta make that money back.  Also proves post pandemic how diminished theater runs will become.

No it doesn't. It's physical media that will most likely diminish to nothing in the next few years if anything. Most major movies outside of the HBO Max 2021 day and date movies, will return to theater-exclusive windows in the last quarter of this year. And it really kicks off with the next big Marvel Studios film Shang Chi on September 3rd when it opens to a 45 day theater exclusive window before heading to Disney+.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 7/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:Disney and oth

Basically what I'm saying is, now, it will be Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings that kickstarts the movie industry's return to normalcly, with numbers obviously a little down  from their pre-COVID days.

:roflmao:

Preserving this because it won’t age well.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, Gatsby77 said:

:roflmao:

Preserving this because it won’t age well.

As I mentioned in the Shang-Chi thread - my personal interests aside - I don't see how a known commodity like Black Widow gets bested by a brand new character within Marvel movies.

Dude is brainwashed by Disney.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

What's interesting is comparing theater average value of Black Widow to F9

BW_F9_BO.png.920fe1ea6e612a96334220face4c6050.png

Initially, BW is the natural choice to bring Per Theater revenue. By Day 15 that story starts to change. And Disney pushes BW across more theaters for a higher theater distribution for greater penetration.

Space Jams? The Flash 2016/2018? Hard to say.

:angel:

So BW bringing less value to theaters, moving to digital and bluray/DVD at a rapid pace and add to this fanatics now making excuses of "...but for the pandemic!"

Interesting. :martini:

On 7/28/2021 at 7:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's about 25 pages worth of comments in this sub-forum proclaiming that "Black Widow will save the movie theater industry single-handed". If that isn't the funniest s^&*, then Idk what is.

surprised-andy.gif.44e93c2f33ac9d8c2901c8469b16b515.gif