• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

598 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2024 at 5:51 PM, batmiesta said:

I could have picked any Spider boy cover but settled on this, I do not get the fascination of Skottie Young.  

spiderboy.jpg

Very good as a cartoonist on kid’s orientated material such as Wizard of Oz, but a style which needs partnering with care, perhaps. As a variant cover artist he’s fine.

Completely mismatched for regular interior art on a mainstream Spider title, though. IMO, of course.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/21/2024 at 10:52 PM, Dave2739 said:

What's not to like about this cover?

Grey-tone effect doesn’t appeal to everyone. Maybe.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:52 PM, Dave2739 said:

What's not to like about this cover?

Well for one thing Green Lantern doesn't look like himself. And for another I don't think grey-tone was a good finish in this case. 

Here's another early Green Lantern cover that strikes me as simply blah:

GreenLantern10.jpg

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/21/2024 at 11:18 PM, Hepcat said:

Well for one thing Green Lantern doesn't look like himself. And for another I don't think grey-tone was a good finish in this case. 

Here's another early Green Lantern cover that strikes me as just blah:

GreenLantern10.jpg

(shrug)

Many of Kane's early GL covers were quite simplistic.

Wouldn't say terrible, but many of those early Kane covers lack any energy and feel a bit boring.

Bland, maybe.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Had this been the first issue of Adventures of the Fly I discovered as a kid, I'm guessing I wouldn't have been fascinated by this striking new hero:

Fly6.jpg

(shrug)

On 3/22/2024 at 4:02 AM, Hepcat said:

Had this been the first issue of Adventures of the Fly I discovered as a kid, I'm guessing I wouldn't have been fascinated by this striking new hero:

Fly6.jpg

(shrug)

The energy in that cover is incredible and really draws you in.

Kirby could’ve learned something from it.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:52 AM, AJD said:

I kinda like that Fly cover, and I agree that the GL covers are bland/boring rather than horrible. 

The following Fly cover managed to sink even deeper into the muck of boredom!

29-06-201172346PM.jpg

On 3/22/2024 at 7:52 AM, AJD said:

This thread certainly has many worse ones!

Well, yeah. I've been effectively limiting myself to scans of the comics in my own collection so what I'm doing here is posting the worst covers from among the titles I like enough to collect. The worst of the best I guess.

(shrug)

On 3/22/2024 at 4:24 PM, Hepcat said:

The following Fly cover managed to sink even deeper into the muck of boredom!

29-06-201172346PM.jpg

Well, yeah. I've been effectively limiting myself to scans of the comics in my own collection so what I'm doing here is posting the worst covers from among the titles I like enough to collect. The worst of the best I guess.

(shrug)

It’s a kind thought.

We all know that comics can invoke adrenaline-fuelled episodes of intense excitement, and maybe, on occasion, it’s a good idea to have a short break and to calm things down a little by inducing a few moments of crushing boredom.

A valuable service.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:58 PM, MR SigS said:

SillyWalk.gif.db621c1c09af0e3cf6447e9a9bc25dc9.gif

Don’t mention The War.

On Crime, I’m referring to, of course.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:12 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Grey-tone effect doesn’t appeal to everyone. Maybe.

I love the grey tone Sea Devils covers and I really like the vast majority of grey tone DC War covers. But two other grey tone covers from 1959 that I think are absolutely wretched are these two (not mine):

_Wonder_Woman_v.1_108.jpg_filename*_UTF- _Mystery_in_Space_55.jpg_filename*_UTF-8

Once again none of the heroes look right to me.

(shrug)

On 3/22/2024 at 7:58 PM, MR SigS said:

I don't think I've posted this here, but if I did it was a while ago, and this is a thread I don't necessarily want to look through again to check :sick:

Bloodfire kicks butt on a merman(?) with a HUGE left arm.

b4sghF5h.jpg

Would be cool if this was Morty's basic move set, the arm just bodying  people while Morty is just trying to run away : r/MultiVersus

On 3/23/2024 at 4:48 AM, Hepcat said:

I love the grey tone Sea Devils covers and I really like the vast majority of grey tone DC War covers. But two other grey tone covers from 1959 that I think are absolutely wretched are these two (not mine):

_Wonder_Woman_v.1_108.jpg_filename*_UTF- _Mystery_in_Space_55.jpg_filename*_UTF-8

Once again none of the heroes look right to me.

(shrug)

I agree. There are far superior SA covers where the effect works far better.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, Hepcat said:

I hate this one:

GreenLantern8.jpg

I bought it some twenty years ago only to be one step closer to completing my Green Lantern run.

(shrug)

???