• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I disagree with this assessment of Luke's arc and Jedi Masters in general.

Going with just what was given to us in the Original Trilogy movies, yes, when we first meet Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, they're portrayed as "crazy old Jedis." But as both A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back progress into their stories, we see there is more to them than just being "crazy hermits." We learn they have been waiting for Luke this whole time.

When we first meet Yoda on Dagobah, who is the real character? Is he some crazy little muppet who doesn't know Yoda and likes digging through Luke's stuff like a child? Of course not. He's a Jedi Master in complete control of his senses who is playing mind games with Luke to test his patience. We learn Yoda has been watching Luke his whole life. Yoda and Obi-Wan both understand that Luke may be the one to bring them back. Yoda is even aware of the potential for Leia. Neither Obi-Wan or Yoda have given up on life or on the Way of the Jedi. To say that Luke's poor attitude in Last Jedi is just in keeping with what all elder Jedi eventually do is, in my opinion, wrong. I see Luke's turn towards irony in TLJ as a poor attempt by the filmmakers to take Star Wars towards some weird intellectual deep thinking cinematic la la land. Star Wars is not intellectual and isn't ironic. Star Wars is pure fantasy adventure and it's best to keep it that way.

This is possibly the most I will ever agree with you on a movie? lol

3 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

going to see it tonight with the gang, I have a bad feeling about it but will give it a shot 

I didn't think after TPM that it could get worse but TLJ did :facepalm:

Love The Mandalorian though

2c

:popcorn:

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is possibly the most I will ever agree with you on a movie? lol

Criticism of The Last Jedi can be a bipartisan issue. The movie failed on many counts. But maybe its biggest sin was giving the fans NOTHING to look forward to for the third movie.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Criticism of The Last Jedi can be a bipartisan issue. The movie failed on many counts. But maybe its biggest sin was giving the fans NOTHING to look forward to for the third movie.

But... The music, overall glee of The Resistance, and kid will the broomstick give you a different feeling!

The ending made me so sour. I was like, "...why are they celebrating...? Their forces were seemingly decimated (and by a small concentrated fleet of The First Order)."

It just wasn't a fun movie. First time in Star Wars that a movie wasn't fun. Even though I don't like Solo, the movie had 'pep'. Rogue One is mediocre IMO, but that movie is fun to watch. Phantom has the new battle droids and that awesome Darth Maul fight. Etc etc etc.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

But... The music, overall glee of The Resistance, and kid will the broomstick give you a different feeling!

The ending made me so sour. I was like, "...why are they celebrating...? Their forces were seemingly decimated (and by a small concentrated fleet of The First Order)."

It just wasn't a fun movie. First time in Star Wars that a movie wasn't fun. Even though I don't like Solo, the movie had 'pep'. Rogue One is mediocre IMO, but that movie is fun to watch. Phantom has the new battle droids and that awesome Darth Maul fight. Etc etc etc.

The Resistance didn't even put up a decent fight in the movie.  "Hooray, we got the action thoroughly put on us, and now we're three dozen strong!  Sound the trumpets and let's hit the liquor cabinet!  Hey, anyone got 20 bucks for gas???"  

9 minutes ago, Rip said:

The team working on the Mandalorian is quite different from the movies trust me. I've never seen the fanbase in such agreement.

Faureau spent a week working with Lucas on story and ideas.

Filoni spent years working with Lucas on Clone Wars. A lot of people don't realize how much time and money Lucas continued to pour into Star Wars development after RoTS. In the process he put out some really truly wonderful stuff.

Chow has been doing a great job also and is working on Kenobi as we speak. Very different story group.

I understand that, but my desire to support the franchise is dependent on this movie. If I start The Panda Melon and then TROS sucks - I might lose the will to live... Like Luke...

10 minutes ago, Rip said:

The team working on the Mandalorian is quite different from the movies trust me. I've never seen the fanbase in such agreement.

Filoni spent years working with Lucas on Clone Wars. A lot of people don't realize how much time and money Lucas continued to pour into Star Wars development after RoTS. In the process he put out some really truly wonderful stuff.

Chow has been doing a great job also and is working on Kenobi as we speak. Very different story group.

Boba Fett is the coolest character to come out of Star Wars. You can't go wrong with the character, or at least someone who looks, acts, and talks like the original.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I understand that, but my desire to support the franchise is dependent on this movie. If I start The Panda Melon and then TROS sucks - I might lose the will to live... Like Luke...

...And Edamame or whatever Portman's character's name was.

It shouldn't be. Makes no difference to me if TRoS is good or bad. Doesn't make the other project worse. 

A lot of different people work at a company. Heck even I worked for Disney for 2 and a half years. I don't agree with everyone, I just support the projects I like.

Edited by Rip

5 hours ago, Oddball said:

I liked grumpy jaded Luke. Loved the light speed sacrifice and the reveal he fought without actually being there. Yes, there were moments I didn’t like at all like Mary Poppins but overall I liked the tone shifting from the norm.

yup

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Then I would say that you don't like Luke Skywalker. As the protagonist of IV-VI, I have no idea how any fan or writer of Star Wars lore can enjoy this take on such a profoundly optimistic character in nature (as portrayed by Hamill and Lucas).

I would've liked it had a meaningful character made it. Anyone other than some freaking n00b. With all that Poe was fighting for - a reason for hope, a mutiny for hope - that would've been another subverted expectation that would have made sense (as opposed to the carp we actually got). "Oh, leader, you do have a plan!? I want to help. Everyone get to safety." After the stunt he pulled in the opening sequence it would have fit perfectly with his character.

Hate hate hate it. Can't even explain how much I hated it. F-ing cowardly. "Confronting fear is the destiny of the Jedi" in the ROS trailers sounds like Luke. Having a brain fart and turning to Thanos dust doesn't.

Luke turning into a hiding coward is a retread of Obi-Wan and Yoda. Luke was supposed to be different from them. It's more of the same - except worse. Luke chose to be a coward. The former two were being hunted while one of them was also looking over Luke.

I'm having a Luke Skywalker brain aneurysm retreading all of my hate for this movie. :pullhair:

I have answered all of these before.  

so... 

3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a.jpg

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's a good joke, but don't forget that Luke was also a whiny little person_without_enough_empathy throughout *all* of Star Wars and half of Empire.

His arc and portrayal in TLJ is entirely consistent with that of Yoda's and Obi-Wans -- that true Jedi masters tire of war, understand it's not the answer, and (tend to) retreat to the shadows in their later years. From Yoda's "Wars not make one great" introduction and initial reluctance to train him, through to Ben's world-weariness.

And Luke's *long* understood that violence is simply the way to the Dark Side. Hence why he throws away his lightsaber during the final battle with Vader in Jedi - just as he again throws it away when presented it by Rey.

His portrayal in the TLJ -- as a reluctant, reclusive pacifist -- is *entirely* consistent with how we saw elder Jedis portrayed in the OT.

I rewatched everything and I agree with this. 

I also throw in there that he was a man who had lost his faith and needed to find it again... especially when it comes to the religious tone of the Jedi.

The more I watched the whole sha-bang from the beginning to the end, the more I realized that RJ picked up one things like what you mentioned from watching the other movies as well. 

I don't think TFA is a bad Star Wars movie.  I think it is weak.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Filoni was groomed to take over the franchise. 

8 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's the thing. Solo was just mediocre; servicable - like Dr. Strange or Ant-Man.

Which is fine - if we're okay with some Star Wars films being minor one-offs and accepting that not every film needs to be a $1 bn.+ blockbuster event.

My issues with it were two-fold:

• Over-explaining *every* part of the events that played into forming the Solo we met in A New Hope. A previous poster mentioned this - that by the end of Solo he was basically already the Harrison Ford version, with no further growth possible in the intervening years. I felt the same way with X-Men: First Class -- which took the cheap way out by paralyzing Xavier at the end - instantly relegating him to the wheelchair in his 20s. Rather than saving that critical event for the second or third chapter. It prematurely (and needlessly) stunted his character growth.
  • Honestly, plot-wise, Firefly did it better -- and fifteen years ago, on a TV budget. Think I'm joking? Solo's plot was basically "The Train Job" and "Trash" combined, with Qi'ra. standing in for Saffron.

Again - it wasn't *bad* but it was a missed opportunity, because it could have been so much more.

I loved Dr. Strange and look forward to sequels