• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I much prefer being direct, both in public and online. The truth is always offensive to many, but the temporary pain of truth is far preferable to the lifelong trauma of delusion, whether we inflict that delusion on others or ourselves. I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm pretty sure that anyone here with more than 100 posts is aware of how to talk to others, and doesn't need a primer on the matter. And the word is spelled "though."

Far too many people worship the form over the substance, being offended at how someone says what they say...and usually without just cause...rather than trying to understand what someone is saying, and why they're saying it.

And that's, in my opinion, a complete waste of time and energy.

Like making fun of someone with an accent who's trying to tell you your car is on fire.

I don't know what the fuss is about TLJ. I finally watched it a couple of weeks ago, and it was a standard Star Wars flick.

I did not mind the Force Ghost scene as much as I thought it would - it fit things well with Luke stalling Broodingweepymillenial Ren and the Order to let the Rebels escape. Basically, he sacrificed himself for the others to escape similar to Obi-Wan vs Vader.

Did the movie have its down moments? Definitely - broody and weepy millenial Kylo Ren as the villain that looks like all it would take is a slight breeze to take him out, the milk scene, Leia Poppins, and the leader of the Order always spitting and yelling instead of talking (he has slight overacting issues, and is his accent real or fake?) . However there were plenty of fun moments, Rey is great as a Jedi (is she more powerful than Luke?), and I liked the scene with the boy using the force at the end as it sort of had a New Hope young Luke vibe.

Going in with lowered expectations might have helped, but overall I thought it was a good, but not very good or great, Star Wars film. 

Edited by kimik

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I much prefer being direct, both in public and online. The truth is always offensive to many, but the temporary pain of truth is far preferable to the lifelong trauma of delusion, whether we inflict that delusion on others or ourselves. I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm pretty sure that anyone here with more than 100 posts is aware of how to talk to others, and doesn't need a primer on the matter. And the word is spelled "though."

Far too many people worship the form over the substance, being offended at how someone says what they say...and usually without just cause...rather than trying to understand what someone is saying, and why they're saying it.

And that's, in my opinion, a complete waste of time and energy.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I figured since it was a comic book forum I could get away with a shortened version without an admin pointing it out.  

3 hours ago, bentbryan said:

Thanks for the spelling correction. I figured since it was a comic book forum I could get away with a shortened version without an admin pointing it out.  

He spells read as “red” as an affectation. I would take it with 2 tons of salt 2c

16 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He spells read as “red” as an affectation. I would take it with 2 tons of salt 2c

Please mind your own business. You are a known troublemaker, with a long and storied history of sticking your virtual fingers in people's faces and taunting "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" Your motive is to start a fight, so don't.

Thank you for your cooperation. " 2c "

Nothing on the substance of the rest of the comment, then...?

And you raise an interesting, although not intentional, question: are "comic book forums" somehow "less than" other places? Not to be taken seriously, because, well...it's "just comic books"..?

Interesting idea...

hm

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Please mind your own business. You are a known troublemaker, with a long and storied history of sticking your virtual fingers in people's faces and taunting "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" Your motive is to start a fight, so don't.

Thank you for your cooperation. " 2c "

Image result for no sale

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX CAST ANNOUNCED

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:19 AM, Chuck Gower said:

They gave Rian Johnson creative control to do a whole new trilogy of films. 

I guess this needs to be said again.

There is ZERO chance Disney ends up giving Rian Johnson total control over three more movies that are attached to the Star Wars brand.  

35 minutes ago, kagenish said:

they still can if the movies don't connect to the episodes movies. I think his movies can be base on the past like 500 up to 1,000 years before episode 1.

At least one will be a Jar Jar origin story.

2 hours ago, kagenish said:

they still can if the movies don't connect to the episodes movies. I think his movies can be base on the past like 500 up to 1,000 years before episode 1.

He can set his movies in whatever time he wants, it will still blow.

16 hours ago, darkstar said:

I guess this needs to be said again.

There is ZERO chance Disney ends up giving Rian Johnson total control over three more movies that are attached to the Star Wars brand.  

And you have ZERO proof to back this up?

I know it's what a handful of Star Wars fans WANT to see. But nothing I've seen or read by any real source with knowledge has given any indication that its true.

I mean, all the guy did with his one opportunity with the brand was make the 8th highest grossing movie of all time, that was also the biggest selling DVD of 2018 (outselling even Black Panther).

Why would Disney see that as a BAD thing???

Because some fanboys didn't like it?

Edited by Chuck Gower

On 7/25/2018 at 11:19 AM, Chuck Gower said:

And that's YOUR opinion. No matter how loudly, or often your group of haters hate on this movie, there are still far more people who feel otherwise. 

Opinions are subjective. Sales numbers show a different story, and besides being the #8 movie of all time, its the biggest selling DVD/Blu-Ray of 2018 by far. 

It wasn't just a great seller on DVD/Blu-Ray, it was the BIGGEST seller.

That's not a movie people hate, it's a movie people LOVE.

But not only did audiences love it, but DISNEY loved it. They gave Rian Johnson creative control to do a whole new trilogy of films. 

That shows how much the studio thinks of the opinions of 35-55 year old fan boys who's lives are incomplete because the Star Wars story isn't going the way THEY want it to. Weird. And why should they care? For one thing, the unnatural emotional investment those fans have in the films is not the studio's concern, just as long as those fans continue to support it with their wallet. 

And even if the studio for some odd reason DID want to consider the feedback, they SHOULDN'T. Because those same fan boys are party to the type of mindset that came up with the 'mary sue' BS, and harassed and ran Kelly Marie Tran off of social media, and tried the same with John Boyega over the color of his skin... it's a toxic, hateful, spiteful group within that fan base that hides behind 'it's a poorly made movie'. 

Really, F them to the highest degree.

And in almost 50 years of watching and reviewing movies, I DON'T understand yours or anyone's 'badly made movie' statement at all. The Last Jedi is pretty much the same thing I've seen in all the Star Wars movies. There were cringe-worthy moments in ALL of the Star Wars movies. Really, this is just another Star Wars movie, and in a few years it'll be just as accepted and a part of the Star Wars Uinverse as those silly Prequels were.

Chuck, I always enjoy your posts. I appreciate you taking time out to express your opinion. There is nothing in your post that I take issue with but I guess I’m tired of having to explain that my not caring for TLJ is not related to some fanboy angst. Personally I don’t like being associated with a group that has done some very offensive things on social media. I agree whole heartedly, f-um!

I have said on more than one occasion that I feel TLJ is a poorly made film. I not hiding behind anything when I say that. I feel it is poorly paced, the humor is ill timed and out of place, plot holes so big that I can’t suspend my disbelief – and that’s saying something for a Star Wars flick. There are large portions of the film that amount to nothing. I like the new cast and never expected the old cast to be overly prominent, it should go without saying really. I guess my biggest problem was that it seemed to parody itself which is a vibe I wasn’t comfortable with and never sensed in any other Star Wars film, even the prequels, which I liked by the way citing at the time they were consistent with a 10 year old mentality and not getting the fanboy backlash. Some movies walk a fine line between brilliant/terrible and I just fell on the wrong side as far as this film is concerned – maybe I was grumpy that day (Ragnarok being another that walks that fine line but I thought phenomenal.) To its credit there were scenes I thought were incredible and others that very artful but as a whole it just didn’t hold up for me. It’s weird really because Star Wars is not an area I’ve been overly critical of in the past.

I like what you said in an earlier post about wanting something new. I agree, and maybe the chip I have is because I’m looking for a Star Wars film to furnish that. Since the original trilogy came out – movies that at the time and to this day I felt were resolved and didn’t require a follow up - we have been served a backstory (the prequels), a remake of the first – and I say again JJ made a great movie but Star Killer base, really? – Rouge One / Solo, more backstories. But The Last Jedi did break some new ground so I’m really sad that I don’t like it, almost mad – but not so sad or (almost)mad that I’m shedding tears on my Phantom Menace pillow shams.

It is just a movie after all.